2012 Formula 1 Qantas Australian Grand Prix

I missed Q1 & Q2 (lunch at the Irish club ftw).
Can some one please give a brief recap on what happened to Kimi and the Ferraris?
Ta.

Kimi failed, because for some reason he kept on driving on primes during Q2 (at least that's what I observed).

Massa seems to have lost his driving skills alltogether now and Alonso tried to save what he could but while playing with the settings on the steering wheel of his obviously crappy Ferrari, his left rear wheel got onto the grass and he spun out into the gravel. He ended up on 12 but it is doubtful, that he would have made it into Q1 even without that.

Maybe a bit too early but looking at the disasters of Kimi or Massa, I have the feeling, that somewhere a man called Adrian Sutil is getting his hopes high again...

Last edited:
Kimi failed, because for some reason he kept on driving on primes during Q2 (at least that's what I observed).

Massa seems to have lost his driving skills alltogether now and Alonso tried to save what he could but while playing with the settings on the steering wheel of his obviously crappy Ferrari, his left rear wheel got onto the grass and he spun out into the gravel. It is doubtful, if he would have made it into Q1 even without that.

Maybe a bit too early but looking at the disasters of Kimi or Massa, I have the feeling, that somewhere a man called Adrian Sutil is getting his hopes high again...

Cheers!

Grosjean is the guy they got to replace Piquet Jr in 2009. :p And for the half of the season that he did, he looked just as hopeless. He took the long way round back into F1, going through GT1, one attempt at Le Mans, AutoGP and winning the title in GP2 last year, just to prove to whoever was prepared to listen that he wasn't that hopeless. And I guess he proved his worth with this quali session already.

And as a result of that path is now the international standard of racing series.

What happened to Brundle btw? This new guy is pretty good but nothing beats Brundle commentary.........maybe Walker

During Q2 he was eating ice cream or drinking coke. He was out because he couldn't keep the car on the track.

Sorry, I meant during Q1. And he was on primes, while others switched to options very early.

go lewis! that was a fun quali session

but that guy next to DC is fucking annoying! if i had closed my eyes, i would've sweared i was watching nascar! keep it down! no need to add excitement! plenty of that on track already!

Quali was great. You can see the cars sliding around a lot more, I was watching at Turn 8 (I think) and quite a few people had big moments on the exit towards the fast chicane.

Red Bull's have definitely got some sort of off-throttle trickery happening still, they are the only cars (apart from the Saubers a little bit) that have that whole chainsaw thing going on.

Hamilton was driving the wheels off that McLaren, not surprised in the least that he was on pole. Bring on tomorrow should be an awesome race!!

He ended up on 12 but it is doubtful, that he would have made it into Q1 even without that.

He did not his best lap on softs, obviously he'd be in Q3 if he used supersofts.

Anyway I'm glad the McLarens are 1-2 and I'm hoping everyone else drop the fucking steppy noses.

Kimi spun off on the 2nd last corner a bit, and so his time just dropped like hell

Awesome results for McLaren. Glad to see that the Lotus and the Mercedes seem competitive this year. I don't mind if Red Bull does well, I just want the teams to be competitive. Sad for Ferrari. I like the team but can't stand Massa or Alonso.

Poor Raikkonen. :(

looks like caterham also didn't make the leap they were hoping to, 1.28.6, almost 4s off pole...
not a fan of any of their drivers, but glad to see a williams in the top 10!

looks like caterham also didn't make the leap they were hoping to, 1.28.6, almost 4s off pole...
Heikki complained about losing half a second because of a HRT blocking him...

Good. Rather they don't start than take up the track as moving road blocks. They shouldn't be in the series if they can't even offer some serious competition.

At the moment things seem to be quite close. It was a breath of fresh air to see people like Grosjean, Maldonado and H?lkenberg laying down some serious smoking tires and the only car that doesn't scare the children grabs a one-two. Epic justice! Great to see that ol' Schumacher seems to have his mojo back, too. He and especially Rosberg are two to watch tomorrow. The Mercs have always been better on longruns than over a single lap.