2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

The "contract" didn't say anything about the performance of the last 2 or 3 years. The article mentions that they're talking about the performance of this year.

The "contract" didn't say anything about the performance of the last 2 or 3 years. The article mentions that they're talking about the performance of this year.

3rd best this year would mean no progress compared to previous years.

If they prove to be at the top of their game or on equal footing with McLaren or RBR, what is left to push a driver to sign a contract with them? History. Ferrari has a lot of that and to be a part of that history is pretty special.
Money.

The history of Ferrari is to treat drivers like crap because they've been bestowed with the honor of driving a Ferrari and so were expected to perform. Enzo Ferrari was infamous for setting drivers against each other by sh*t stirring that they might be replaced... a management philosophy that has continued to this day.

That such history would encourage drivers to join Ferrari is laughable.

Money.

The history of Ferrari is to treat drivers like crap because they've been bestowed with the honor of driving a Ferrari and so were expected to perform. Enzo Ferrari was infamous for setting drivers against each other by sh*t stirring that they might be replaced... a management philosophy that has continued to this day.

I'm sure RBR can match whatever Ferrari is "offering", so I don't think money has as much say as you might think. Many drivers have stated in the past that driving for one of the top storied teams would be a unique opportunity. As outrageous of an idea that may be to you, not every driver out there sees it the same way.

I'm sure RBR can match whatever Ferrari is "offering", so I don't think money has as much say as you might think. Many drivers have stated in the past that driving for one of the top storied teams would be a unique opportunity. As outrageous of an idea that may be to you, not every driver out there sees it the same way.

We've yet to see any evidence that Webber is actually considering a move to Ferrari, the only source of these rumours has been leaks from Ferrari.. which is the sort of leaky bullshit they always do: throughout a season loads of people get tipped for a Ferrari drive as the team looks to exert pressure on its existing drivers.

I'm not sure where this idea of 'storied' teams is coming in, yes Ferrari have a long history, but so does McLaren and he's not being linked to them. More to the point Red Bull are miles ahead on results vs. races entered while Ferrari have had a poor few years.

I'm not sure where this idea of 'storied' teams is coming in, yes Ferrari have a long history, but so does McLaren and he's not being linked to them. More to the point Red Bull are miles ahead on results vs. races entered while Ferrari have had a poor few years.

Wasn't Button caught saying in an interview that he's always had a dream of driving for McLaren (prior to being on McLaren of course), Ferrari, or Williams?

Wasn't Button caught saying in an interview that he's always had a dream of driving for McLaren (prior to being on McLaren of course), Ferrari, or Williams?

And your point is? Probably the worst example you can bring up considering how comfortable Button is at Mclaren.

And your point is? Probably the worst example you can bring up considering how comfortable Button is at Mclaren.

My point is that there are drivers that want to race for storied teams.

Well feel free to provide a source.

Q: When you look back two years - when it dawned on you that you would not stay with Ross Brawn?s team - how happy are you now about how it?s turned out?
JB: Well, first of all it is never an easy decision to make when you?ve just won the world championship to leave that team - especially when you have been with that team for so long. It was our goal to win the championship and we had fought for that dream for six years - and finally we won it. So we?d fulfilled our goal and I was looking for another challenge - to race with another team alongside a very competitive team mate, but also to race for a team that has won multiple titles. That idea was very exciting for me. There were three teams when I was growing up: one was McLaren, one was Ferrari and one was Williams. And McLaren is the one that gave me the best opportunity for the future.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/10/12695.html

are we done here now or are we going to continue to pretend that drivers don't care about having a desire to drive for a particular team based off its prestige?

Oh please, the usual Ferrari excuse.

Money.

We've yet to see any evidence that Webber is actually considering a move to Ferrari, the only source of these rumours has been leaks from Ferrari.. which is the sort of leaky bullshit they always do: throughout a season loads of people get tipped for a Ferrari drive as the team looks to exert pressure on its existing drivers.

R7Yfj.jpg

Never have I heard such bullshit, to say that teams such as Ferrari and McLaren aren't storied and prestigious is ridiculous. I especially like how you made up that Ferrari leaked the Webber rumours. :rolleyes:

Why did Alonso join McLaren in 2007 after he'd had a stellar year with Renault in 2006? Because of the history, prestige and the higher salary that McLaren could afford from sponsors who saw the team for what it's worth. Why do McLaren and Ferrari get more than anyone from sponsorship? Why did Fisichella join Ferrari for a small stint in 2009 knowing Ferrari were doing really bad and that he'd be out of a race seat in 2010? Prestige.

Last edited:
Why did Alonso join McLaren in 2007 after he'd had a stellar year with Renault in 2006? Because of the history, prestige and the higher salary that McLaren could afford from sponsors who saw the team for what it's worth. Why do McLaren and Ferrari get more than anyone from sponsorship? Why did Fisichella join Ferrari for a small stint in 2009 knowing Ferrari were doing really bad and that he'd be out of a race seat in 2010? Prestige mothertrucker.

Wow, someone who actually has ferrari in his username defending them. It's like a little fanboy clich?.

You provide two examples, Alonso for whom you actually mention "the higher salary". And Fisichella who was swapping an entirely mid-field Force India for a front-of-the-pack Ferrari: nothing to do with history, it was a better car.

Fisichella took the pole in Spa that year, while Sutil took P2 in Monza (when Fisichella was already at Ferrari). The Force India was as quick as the Ferrari on those high-speed circuits. Kimi of course won in Spa and beat the Sutil in Monza. The Ferrari of 2009 was rather difficult to drive, so Fisichella could not expect to match Kimi's performance.

Wow, someone who actually has ferrari in his username defending them. It's like a little fanboy clich?.

You provide two examples, Alonso for whom you actually mention "the higher salary". And Fisichella who was swapping an entirely mid-field Force India for a front-of-the-pack Ferrari: nothing to do with history, it was a better car.

Front row Ferrari in 2009? Did you see the 2009 season?

Anyway this conversation is beyond stupid right now. Driving for Ferrari is and always will be a possible goal and a "height" in someone's career. No matter how much you hate it the team has history (and thus experience), pedigree, resources and despite having bad years it always has the drive to achieve more. Along with all of this comes a pressure to succeed, which means picking their drivers has to be done with care and forethought. Ferrari seldom choose inexperienced, up-and-coming, young drivers, always preferring either experience or already proven success. The pressure to win always flows down to them, obviously, but what else do you expect when joining the team with the most championships in history?

About Red Bull having a better win ratio than Ferrari, it's not even comparable. Red Bull bought an already established mid field team (Jaguar) and poured a lot of money into it, and even then it took them 5 years to achieve anything of note.
Statistics are a stupid thing to play with. If you ask someone which car was the best car in F1 history, they'll tell you it's the MP4-12 or the Ferrari F2004, when statistically the Brabham BT46B (the fan car) entered 1 race and won it... Best car ever?

Anyway stop bickering (both sides). We have rumors all year every year and I rarely see such an uproar over some driver story.

Last edited:

Dude, naw... :lol: Everyones theory on FG of Cellos, Gman, mpicco and me being raging fanboys with blindfolds is set in concrete...and when WE say the F60 was a stinking pile of horse shit...there's something there.

Last edited:
Dude, naw... :lol: Everyones theory on FG of Cellos, Gman, mpicco and me being raging fanboys with blindfolds is set in concrete...and when WE say the F60 was a stinking pile of horse shit...there's something there.

Yeah ok, getting my years mixed up!

:cool: But really...I think bar a couple of exceptions, any F1 or GP2 driver would love to have a go in the Scuderia. It's the one, right next to Mclaren and Williams...those historic and utterly spine tingleing names in F1.

I'll be more than happy to work for Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, heck, all of the teams.