2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

I still don't see any reason for Webber to leave RBR. Considering how well they're doing, how much funding they have, and how much money they're creating for the company (red bull), I don't see it fading any time soon. With this "early" success of Vettel bagging 2 WDC's, I think they'll be challenging for poles and championships for at least the next 5 years.

Just to get this straight: the double world championship team, with the double world champion driver, currently at the top of the constructors championship and with the largest budget is going to become uncompetitive in less than 5 years?

You really are a Ferrari supporter...

Just to get this straight: the double world championship team, with the double world champion driver, currently at the top of the constructors championship and with the largest budget is going to become uncompetitive in less than 5 years?

I didn't say that but, it doesn't take much to go from being at the top to being at the tail-end of the leading pack let alone a mid-runner (Renault). I don't doubt that Red Bull will be competitive for the next 5 years but I would not be surprised if they fall a bit from where they currently are either.

Wasn't Button caught saying in an interview that he's always had a dream of driving for McLaren (prior to being on McLaren of course), Ferrari, or Williams?

Why would he have said Williams when he started his F1 career with them in 2000?

I didn't say that but, it doesn't take much to go from being at the top to being at the tail-end of the leading pack let alone a mid-runner (Renault). I don't doubt that Red Bull will be competitive for the next 5 years but I would not be surprised if they fall a bit from where they currently are either.

Now compare the spending of RBR/Mclaren to the spending of the midfielders. It's a lot more and the amount of money you spend is pretty relative to your car's performance; unless you're a bunch of grand fuck ups that messed up 2 years in a row.

Last edited:
Why would he have said Williams when he started his F1 career with them in 2000?

Read the quote I posted on the previous page.

You mite be right with Red Bull falling down. 2014 is going to be a scary year. New engines and regs. Whoever starts developing for that season the earliest will get ahead. Who knows what will happen. But I think Red Bull are pretty safe until the end of 2013 at least.

Unless Adrian Newey leaves RBR they will stay the team to beat. Look at Newey's track record. He really is that good.

Whoever starts developing for that season the earliest will get ahead. Who knows what will happen. But I think Red Bull are pretty safe until the end of 2013 at least.

I know of one team who are already developing for 2014...

Well, loads of teams are hiring various positions at the moment check here.

Wowza, unfortunately, finding work with a heart condition that might kill me over time is a hard one. Hope someone else chances upon this and gets the awesome experience of working in the F1 circus.

Wowza, unfortunately, finding work with a heart condition that might kill me over time is a hard one.

As far as I know that *shouldn't* be a factor, as long as the act of working there isn't going to make it worse and you can still put in an honest days work...

I'm sure someone here must work in an F1 team... being a car forum with a UK bias... they're just never going to let on.

As far as I know that *shouldn't* be a factor, as long as the act of working there isn't going to make it worse and you can still put in an honest days work...

I'm sure someone here must work in an F1 team... being a car forum with a UK bias... they're just never going to let on.

It would be a dream to work for an F1 team. I just don't know what they'd want with a test engineer who's only experience lies in agricultural products. :p

Last edited:
Well, now...

BMW? Mainly marketing and engines. Same goes for Merc.

edit: None of those are near Dr_G location anyway. I could be missing someone.

Last edited:
Now you've got me intrigued, but I thought only Toyota were in Germany?
Nope, I am not working in F1. I am a career academic. What I was trying to imply is that you on more than one occasion hinted at the fact that you may not be working directly for a F1 team, but at least for a company directly working with one or more F1 team's engineering branches.

Nope, I am not working in F1. I am a career academic. What I was trying to imply is that you on more than one occasion hinted at the fact that you may not be working directly for a F1 team, but at least for a company directly working with one or more F1 team's engineering branches.

Lol, nope, PhD student.