2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

You're right, I overlooked that, but still the average position is quite better for Caterham.... should count more.

*edit*

So Petrov grabs 11th. Maybe Pic moved ovr for the team he'll be driving for next year? :p
Still, it settles it then, Caterham takes 10th

What a championship!

More of this next year please, only difference, let a Ferrari be champion :D

Last edited:
So here's my top 3 drivers of the year, not based on the championship.

1) Alonso. From a dog of a car at the start of 2012 to something decent enough, and still scoring consistent podiums. What would it be like if Ferrari actually made something fast AND reliable.
2) Vettel. Because it's on merit and winning when the car is fast. Still doubt that in pure racing, he's up there with Alonso and Hamilton.
3) Hamilton. What 'IF' McLaren weren't clots when it really mattered. Would've easily been in contention for the whole season. And I'm certainly no Hamilton fan, but I can support him without feeling guilty now.

Special mention, Raikkonen. Because he's badass and probably the only driver to have the mentality of those in the 70s and 80s. And for Kobayashi, you're the pride of Asia in Formula 1, and I do hope to watch you in 2013.

To sum up this year:

1. Red Bull after an ordinary start and a bit of a dip a full force end of the season saw success,
2. McMerc where did all this iffy mechanical reliability come from. A good car (Not the best) two top drivers but some mistakes
3. Ferrari - car 3rd or 4th rank to be fair most of the year. Alonso was outstanding and the strategists at Ferrari did well almost always picking the right approach
4. Torro Rosso - must do better
5. Force India - coming along nicely
6. Sauber flattered to deceive - not as good as promised
7. Lotus a nearly very good team
8. Mercedes - should do better really
9. HRT - nope, just no
10. Marussia meh!
11. Caterham - Jury is out, may turn out good, or just another dog,
12. Williams - Glory days could be back but Frank is getting old and needs to hand over to someone dynamic - have I forgotten anyone?

Last edited:
My star drivers of the year are (in no particular order):

Fernando Alonso - Drove the balls of that car and achieved far more than what it derserved. For me he is the most complete driver in F1 right now.
Nico Hulkenberg - Thoroughly outshone Di Resta in qualifying and races. Surely a future race winner and possible champ.
Kimi Raikkonen - A fantastic comeback year with great results. Proved that he's lost none of his speed/racecraft/don't give a shit attitude. Legend.
Sergio Perez - It went a bit wonky towards the end of the year but he proved he's a damn fine racing driver and with a little McLaren polishing could be great.

And my teams of the year are (in no particular order):

Sauber - Slightly incosistent but when they were fast they were genuine podium challengers and could equal teams with significantly bigger budgets.
Red Bull - Yet again Newey used his witchcraft to create an unbelievably good car. You can't argue with 3-in-a-row.
Lotus - Not the fastest car overall but probably the most consistent and able to take podiums and wins when RB/McMerc etc slipped-up.
Williams - After the disaster of 2011 they managed a huge improvement and even managed a race win. Great job.

Special mentions for Jenson Button who yet again proves that he is not only a damn fine F1 driver but also possibly the nicest bloke in the world, Felipe Massa for finding his mojo again and Taki Inoue for being simply hilarious (and a little bit mental) on Twitter!

Overall, a very exciting year.