2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

Maybe an online proxy thing?

I primarily wanted to find out how much a new front wing costs. I mean, you get one little chip and you replace the whole thing. They probably recycle the material but it still must cost a fortune.

I think the front wings are 20-25 grand, depending on the damage they can be fixed or have elements replaced on them and yes the million was purely cost of parts and production nothing to do with development.

Is there any way to just watch Sky F1 online, without getting a big TV subscription?

They don't seem to offer an online subscription at all, but I am sure there are other ways. If everything else fails, you can always go to the pub. ;)

Does anyone know what Sky's testing coverage will be like? I presume they will do some sort of overview of what has happened but can't seen to find any specifics.

Wow that is terrible. (watching the vid about McLaren being happy with design?) He sounds terrible and he sounds like he's reading from a script with not a clue about what the words actually mean.

Not gonna judge the actual race broadcasts based on this.... But I do have a small feeling we peaked with the BBC in 2011.

Last edited:
I'm sure sky no matter how bad will still be better than the shit coverage we get over here on speed channel.

I actually like the speed commentators, everything else about it is terrible though.

I actually like the speed commentators, everything else about it is terrible though.

I cant stand them, they try and dumb down F1 to nascar standards during the races it makes me want to shoot someone.

I do agree that they don't need to re-explain KERS and DRS after every commercial break .

Fuck just listening to that guy makes me angry. Why does he stutter at every word? No emotion in his voice and it's like his script is trying to make it conversational but he's too socially awkward so it sounds retarded.

can someone explain why there are two threads talking about the same thing? was this thread even needed when it was made? we are still 3 weeks from F1. please, im just wondering.

The other one was supposed to be just about car launches and testing while this was supposed to be a general discussion of the season thread?

I like Steve Matchett quite a bit very insightful considering he used to work at Benneton. Obviously the broadcast is dumbed down because let's be honest the American public well don't get me started.. :lol:

can someone explain why there are two threads talking about the same thing? was this thread even needed when it was made? we are still 3 weeks from F1. please, im just wondering.

As with the last few seasons, this thread starts in the pre-season and will continue to be the place to discuss the General F1 season as it progresses i.e. anything that doesn't pertain to a specific race. Like Littletones said, the other thread was for Car Launches and Driver Stuff, but anything else about the coming F1 season belongs here.

Last edited:
I like Steve Matchett quite a bit very insightful considering he used to work at Benneton. Obviously the broadcast is dumbed down because let's be honest the American public well don't get me started.. :lol:

For those of us who understand the sport, I agree the constant explaining of what's going on and why (especially on the FOX broadcasts, which have a much wider potential viewing audience) is a bit annoying, but I would not be surprised if the advertising (which seems to be mostly automakers and PSAs) is not covering the cost of the broadcast rights so the more viewership SPEED can secure, the better.

Last edited:
I was just looking around the F1 site and noticed it has only 19 races, Bahrain seems to have dissappeared from the calander. Is it offically cancelled again?

Hmm a month ago I looked it was 20. I guess they dropped it for the 'just in case'.

I was just looking around the F1 site and noticed it has only 19 races, Bahrain seems to have dissappeared from the calander. Is it offically cancelled again?

Did you look here? Still shows 20 including Bahrain. On the front page they have the 2011 calendar which is very stupid.