2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

It was boring because in TestECull's hatred-addled opinion the wron driver won. Simple.

Seriously, TestECull, it has been a while since I read such a pathetic dribble. Maybe after 6 more beers your post will make a shred of sense, but I better don't hold my breath...

I don't hate Vettel and I've never said I did. Just because I don't cheer for him doesn't mean I hate him .

Why do you guys seem to think I do? I don't 'hate' any one of the drivers. I just hate boring races. And this was a boring race. It would have been a boring race regardless of who won.

Now stop being assholes for five seconds, all right? Good god. Not everyone enjoys a race where there's no constant pass-repass action. I prefer races where the positions swap so fast the TV crews can't decide which group of cars to follow. I find races where that doesn't happen boring. so fucking what?

Last edited:
Why do you guys seem to think I do? I don't 'hate' any one of the drivers. I just hate boring races. And this was a boring race. It would have been a boring race regardless of who won.

Maybe you spamming two threads with an identical post, containing nothing but unfounded negativity gave us a clue?
At no point was the race a parade or can you give me an explanation how Raikk?nen managed 11th to 2nd in a parade? Or how Schumacher made 12 positions up? It was a decent race and the only reasonable explanation for your negativity is that you don't agree with the result, because the racing was quite entertaining.

Maybe you spamming two threads with an identical post, containing nothing but unfounded negativity gave us a clue?
The only clue you should have gotten is that I found the race boring, mainly because that's what I typed. Any other clue you get is some random fabrication you came up with to make me seem 'bad' or something. I typed what I meant, and I meant to say I found this race boring.

Also, what the hell is wrong with posting in two relevant threads that are on the front page next to each other?

Can you give me an explanation how Raikk?nen managed 11th to 2nd in a parade? Or how Schumacher made 12 positions up?
Pitstops, to put it simply. They didn't pass every single one of those cars. They made most of those spots up on pitstops. Impressive pitwork does not an entertaining race make. As for the few overtakes they actually made, they weren't even exciting enough for Speed to air most of the time. Hell they didn't even discuss it most of the time, they'd just casually mention the updated running order when they went over the entire field...oh, and watching someone DRS past into turn one and then rocket off into the distance is not racing, that's just a faster car overtaking a slower one.

They're good drivers, don't get me wrong. But I didn't see much 'racing' happen. I saw a parade play out at high speed. All the action was done by lap three.

It was a decent race and the only reasonable explanation for your negativity is that you don't agree with the result
Incorrect. Stone dead fucking incorrect. I found the race boring. I don't care if Vettel wins by the length of the front wing endplate after 12 laps of hard battling turn-after-turn. If he does that, fuck yaeh! Good race! I don't mind him winning, I just want to see an actual race. I don't want to watch 90 minutes of pit strategy.

because the racing was quite entertaining.

Different people find different things entertaining. I don't find pit strategy based races entertaining in the least. I enjoy watching the drivers literally race wheel to wheel inches apart.

Last edited:
It was very boring. Very very boring. There wasn't any real racing going on. The few passes that did happen were over in a few seconds. There was no "Pass-repass-pass-repass" battling going on. It was more 20 billboards in a high-speed parade around a dull track than a motor race. The most exciting points were when Rosberg ran Hammy and Massa off the road...and that was about fifteen seconds in total. Behind that, you had the flat-and-spin of Maldonado, and then.....I suppose Hamilton's pit troubles count? Kimi looked a bit racy at one point but he gave up after a couple of laps and fell back into parade mode, so there wasn't really a fight for the lead either.

Boring race was boring.

The last ten laps of China, positions 2-12, is what racing is supposed to look like. THAT is exciting. THAT is what I want to see. I want to see a big gaggle of cars duking it out lap after lap, positions swapping so often the running order is wildly different in each sector. I want to see RACING. If I want to see strategy play out I'll go watch some Starcraft streams, and if I want to see a parade I'll search for them on youtube.

I don't care if it's slower, it's exciting. I find races fought in the pits instead of on the track to be incredibly dull and not worth the harddrive space they take up on my TiVO. Bahrain is, and always has been, fought in the pits instead of on the track.

dude, go watch nascar...

dude, go watch nascar...

No. NASCAR is even worse about parade-ness. I used to watch NASCAR but I got bored of it for the same reasons. I still watch the road course races but that's about it.

'Sides, who are you to tell me what racing to watch? Bugger off. I'll watch whatever I want to watch.

what about my little pony? pretty sure that'll get a little red-neck wanker like you pretty excited!

Hey ya can't say that, bone :lol: Dude's ridin' a mighty 1985 F150. He's wreslin' technology that we gave up on, when the romans left. He's bad-ass :lol: :lol:

Yes, real mature. Both of you should be proud! Trolling a guy becaues of his ride...even 4-chan wouldn't stoop to that point.

For the record I have exactly 0 interest in MLP.

If you two are willing to stop being asshats maybe we can discuss why F1 doesn't have enough passing and wheel-to-wheel racing. If you're going to continue to be asshats you two are welcome to be rude to thin air. I won't see a word of it.

Last edited:
Yup, there sure wasn't any wheel to wheel racing in this race, no siree. There sure as hell wasn't any overtaking outside the DRS zone.

What you say boy? There were cars going into a corner three abreast, only then to completely switching places? YOU LIE BOY, YOU LIE!

I get that the race ended slightly anticlimactic. Once the gap between Kimi and Vettel got to about 3 seconds their race sorta stopped, but I don't feel that this makes the race boring. I felt it was very exciting watching Kimi chase down Massa, then button, Alonso and Webber. I started to think "Can Kimi give Vettel a race?!" and "Maybe the Iceman chase down some kid who had it too easy last year?". I can certainly tell you my heart was beating out of my chest during that run. But alas, it wasn't to be. There was no epic on track battle, or Kimi showing 'how its done' but does that matter? I don't think so. To me its about the chase, and there was at least 1 battle going on, either on the time sheets, pits or on track through the entire race essentially which to me is very exciting. BTW I believe China 2012 was fourth overall in passes in F1 history, so if thats what you feel the standard should be, then I think I can understand why everyone else thinks you're way off the mark.

Yup, there sure wasn't any wheel to wheel racing in this race, no siree. There sure as hell wasn't any overtaking outside the DRS zone.

What you say boy? There were cars going into a corner three abreast, only then to completely switching places? YOU LIE BOY, YOU LIE!

The first three laps do not an exciting race make. The last ten or fifteen were quite dull. I didn't see any wheel-to-wheel stuff at the end, where it matters, where it happened in China.
There was no epic on track battle, or Kimi showing 'how its done' but does that matter? I don't think so.
That battle is what I wanted to see. I was a bit interested when Kimi had the gap down to just a few feet, as if they'd start racing for the lead, but then he gave up, settled into second, and I got bored again. So close, too.
To me its about the chase, and there was at least 1 battle going on, either on the time sheets, pits or on track through the entire race essentially which to me is very exciting.
And I don't find that exciting at the least. People seem to think this is 'wrong' somehow. People seem to think I'm 'wrong' to want to watch the cars wheel-to-wheel every second of the way.

BTW I believe China 2012 was fourth overall in passes in F1 history, so if thats what you feel the standard should be, then I think I can understand why everyone else thinks you're way off the mark.
It was way higher than 2011. Besides, it's unrealistic to expect every race to break passing records, but it's not unrealistic to expect some racing from a motor race. but I guess FG F1 fans seem to think that's 'wrong', so whatever. Their problem not mine.

Last edited:
Yes, real mature. Both of you should be proud! Trolling a guy becaues of his ride...even 4-chan wouldn't stoop to that point.

We're not trolling you because of your ride - we are mocking you, because you write such a nonsensical stuff, it makes you look like a complete and utter clown :lol: You keep insisting that we did see a boring race. Doesn't it strike you as mildly ironic that you are the only one to think that, while pretty much everyone has so far disagreed with you? You moan the absence of wheel-to-wheel action. Ask Dan Wheldon what wheel-to-wheel ends like in an open-wheeler series. We've seen plenty of action both at the top and in mid-field. This was NOT a boring race.

I maintain, you either disagree with the absence of 'the big one' (you should watch Talladega or Daytona for that) or you disagree with the result, there is nothing else that would instill any sense into what you have written so far.

Last edited:
I will agree with you, the race was not as exciting as it could have been, but dismissing it as a boring race seems a little extreme. The sport of F1 consists of a lot of different racing. Yes, the most spectacular are the wheel to wheel battles, those are the ones we remember the best. I won't see on youtube a time sheet showing how Kimi came from 17th to first at the Japanese grand prix 2005, but look at all the videos of his pass on Fisi. F1 is often a sport about subtleties, if you can't see those, then I expect you will continue to have disappointment where others find enjoyment.

I think the current level of overtaking in F1 is about right. Maybe there could be a little more but with the way the aero is the cars can't get close enough through faster sections and any more DRS overtakes will just make it feel manufactured and make good overtakes feel less special when they do come.

If I want to watch racing with lots of overtaking and re-overtaking, banging wheels other stuff then I'll watch BTCC (which I do). But F1 isn't really about that, they're longer races where strategy plays a big part and it's a big team effort.

Even though I would have really liked to see Kimi get past Vettel I still really enjoyed their battle, I was on the edge of my seat watching Kimi close in lap after lap on Grosjean first then Vettel, then battling into turn one. Watching Di Resta defending against Rosberg and Alonso in the last few laps was really exciting too as was watching Hamilton fight back after each of his bad pitstops.

There has been great racing all through the field in every race this season and I think we're in for a very exciting season indeed.

Lol TestECull complaining about lack of passing....you've only just started F1 recently haven't you? As entertaining as DRS KERS is, I think I actually prefer the era of just "normal" passing, even though there was significantly less.

People seem to think I'm 'wrong' to want to watch the cars wheel-to-wheel every second of the way.

you are! the cars aren't made for wheel to wheel racing. visibility is poor, need free airflow over the wings to operate and if they go off the racingline they have no grip for the following corners.
F1 rules and cars are set up to go around a track as fast as possible, not to encourage wheel to wheel action

and i'm afraid you'll be more disappointed as the season progresses, as the team get on top of the tires, the freak drop outs in qualification will occur less, and they'll all be better at managing their strategy, what will decrease the amount of overtaking...

Last edited:
I'm a bit annoyed by the "artificial" overtaking. DRS and KERS is good in my opinion but the tyres are degrading way too fast.

Schumi agrees: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12472/7693748/Fuming-Schumi-slams-Pirelli (Look at the support / comments there)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17808768

I think other drivers may agree but they don't have the authority like Schumi since he has nothing to lose, having already proved himself.

In my opinion, they are degrading so much for the sake of creating artificial excitement that drivers can't give it their all. It's exciting to watch drivers driving their cars at the limit instead of, as Webber put it last year, a "Sunday economy drive".
Only driver that so far has crashed from pushing his car I think is Maldonado in Australia.

In multimillion dollar cars where every square millimeter is analysed for aerodynamic efficiency, it's a bit of a letdown that something like tyres ends up determining the pace of the car and the race strategy. Tyres should be a part of the whole package, but right now they seem to be everything. You can argue that since cars rarely break down for other reasons these days, degrading tyres is crucial. I, however, prefer F1 to be the pinnacle of racing at the very edge, where drivers AND teams have to give absolutely everything they have.

The way it is right now, if you're in clean air and ahead it's very hard for someone to catch up to you because doing so would make their tyres degrade and their pace would be off.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited:
I'm a bit annoyed by the "artificial" overtaking. DRS and KERS is good in my opinion but the tyres are degrading way too fast.

Schumi agrees: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12472/7693748/Fuming-Schumi-slams-Pirelli (Look at the support / comments there)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17808768

I think other drivers may agree but they don't have the authority like Schumi since he has nothing to lose, having already proved himself.

In my opinion, they are degrading so much for the sake of creating artificial excitement that drivers can't give it their all. It's exciting to watch drivers driving their cars at the limit instead of, as Webber put it last year, a "Sunday economy drive".
Only driver that so far has crashed from pushing his car I think is Maldonado in Australia.

In multimillion dollar cars where every square millimeter is analysed for aerodynamic efficiency, it's a bit of a letdown that something like tyres ends up determining the pace of the car and the race strategy. Tyres should be a part of the whole package, but right now they seem to be everything. You can argue that since cars rarely break down for other reasons these days, degrading tyres is crucial. I, however, prefer F1 to be the pinnacle of racing at the very edge, where drivers AND teams have to give absolutely everything they have.

The way it is right now, if you're in clean air and ahead it's very hard for someone to catch up to you because doing so would make their tyres degrade and their pace would be off.

Thoughts? :)

Wholeheartedly agree. It was entertaining for 2011, but it got really old really fast. If it were up to me, I would remove DRS and the crumby tyres. I think KERS is a bit more fair since the defending driver can use it too. That's probably as far as I would like "artificial" overtaking to go however.

edit: Not to mention the joke that is "greener racing": mutilating F1 engines while having tyres that last 10 miles, makes perfect sense right?

Last edited: