2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

Can anyone explain to me how an F1 helmet that costs several thousand dollars did not protect her from a crash that, according to most of the sources, occurred at 20-30mph? Aren't they designed and tested to withstand impacts at really fast speeds?

The only thing I can think of is that unlike a flying object, which can be deflected away and is light, the truck obviously couldn't move and so she was pushed against it by the force of her own car :(.

It's just plain physics... The speed may only have been 20-30mph, but when the collision is against a sharp and effectively solid object the forces involved are enormous. Think hitting a helmet with an axe. Which weights half a ton. It's exactly the same issue as we have with rally cars crashing against unprotected armco barriers.

This is very sad news indeed, her professional racing career is pretty much over then? :/

Lord Paul Drayson raced an LMP1 car at Le Mans a few years ago, despite one of his eyes being blind so in theory at least losing one eye would not prevent you from racing professionally.

However, for the time being that's all secondary. She's lucky as hell to be alive in the first place, and even more so if she manages to recover back to full health apart from losing an eye. But I am not going to speculate on that, I'll just wait for more news from reliable sources on how her condition develops.

Hopefully she recovers as best as she can. Obviously there's no chance of her getting a drive in F1 or any other major motorsport now, but are there any rules against her remaining a test driver? If she is still physically capable, she could still play a role in F1.

Last edited:
Actually I don't think you should give sexist pricks a free pass just because "it's the Internet". Maybe it would be more productive to confront them head-on (like the hatr people do, and I think there is a project like hatr for the English web as well) instead of venting on FG, but blaming the victims (as in "cut the bitching" - especially the use of "bitching" in this context is highly questionable) is not right.

It's the internet, and the anonymity will always create people that will say whatever they want. There's no point in BITCHING (which is the correct word) about said people because they will always exist. Let's just move on and thank that this forum is above that sort of thing.

~Yeah this forum isn't about bitching, it's about bitching about bitching. Come on mate.

Hopefully she recovers as best as she can. Obviously there's no chance of her getting a drive in F1 or any other major motorsport now, but are there any rules against her remaining a test driver? If she is still physically capable, she could still play a role in F1.

I've been watching her story over the last few days. I'm guessing with now pretty much no depth perception, there's really no chance of her becoming a full on F1 driver. But then again, there are still people with one eye who fly planes. So, who knows really?

But with those injuries, she's lucky to be alive.

I don't think she will ever drive competitive in F1. Maybe she will stay as a test driver. Maybe she doesn't want to drive again now? No one really knows except her with what she wants to do.

It wasn't her intention to become a full-time F1 driver, since her generation is way past that point, combined with the fact that she doesn't even bear a superlicense.

'How to Go Faster and Influence People: The Gordon Murray F1 Story' available on iPlayer for those with access. Don't know if it's new or not, but it's got stuff about his new cars.

'How to Go Faster and Influence People: The Gordon Murray F1 Story' available on iPlayer for those with access. Don't know if it's new or not, but it's got stuff about his new cars.

That was good! :thumbsup:

Mark Webber has signed a new deal with Red Bull for the 2013 season.
The Australian had been linked with a switch to Ferrari and held talks with other teams but will stay with Red Bull, who he joined in 2007.
"It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone," said Webber, who won Sunday's British Grand Prix.
"I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18780239

So who is going to race at Ferrari next season?

You may be right. What good drivers are there for Ferrari? Kubica could be one, but he will need some races to get back into the sport. He also just had another surgery on his elbow.

I'd say Kubica is finished with F1. Even if he recovers sufficiently to handle an F1 car competitively which seems doubtful given the extent of his injuries, he's been out for too long and I doubt Ferrari would take the risk.

Perez is an obvious option but Massa has shown improvement, is a known quantity and seems to work well with Alonso.

Massa has been told that as long as his performance improves, he'll stay at Ferrari with a contract based on performance objectives.
Don't think anyone in their right mind would put Hamilton and Alonso in the same team again.

He might, it would be a very interesting move. Alonso will probably not accept Hamilton as an equal number one and that's never been the way Ferrari operate anyway. I cant see Hamilton accepting being number two to anyone.

I really wish the partnership between Alonso and Hamilton and McLaren had worked out.

Alonso and Massa are a great combination off the track, they get along well and there are not problems within the team. Massa only needs to consistently get points and be in the top ten and Ferrari would retain him. Ferrari need a second driver who'll take the points away from Alonso's rivals.

Last edited:
He might, it would be a very interesting move. Alonso will probably not accept Hamilton as an equal number one and that's never been the way Ferrari operate anyway. I cant see Hamilton accepting being number two to anyone.

Hamilton's performance as of late (past 2 years) hasn't been quite as stellar as before. He would have to earn #1 in any new team he moves to. He was McLaren's little protege project that I find it extremely weird to imagine him somewhere else.

I don't think Ferrari would make the same mistake as McLaren did in 2007. If Hamilton were to join Ferrari (I'm praying to all the deities I don't believe in just in case one exists, he doesn't), he would be #2.

I hope Hamilton never moves from Mclaren. Feels like when Senna finally parted from Mclaren.....didn't feel right.