2012 Formula 1 Season Thread

Damn, really? You can get a million guys who seem to know their football and can make some relevant comments about it... not the same can be said about F1.

Football presenting is the biggest job and dream for a Sports Presenter. You don't bother getting into it if you don't go for Football.

But there are like 300 matches a year for Football, a dozen channels covering them... it would seem F1 is a more exclusive club...
It must be money :p

Threads not sure about, but I'm definitely liking this year. There's no one 'dominant' car. Makes for some actual racing, which is nice.

Quite a few tweets going around that Hamilton is moving to Mercedes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/9572696/Lewis-Hamilton-to-join-Mercedes-in-100m-move-from-McLaren.html

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8115102/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

To be honest if it's true. I'll be so shocked. Why would he move to Merc who have only won one race this year? And continuing to not be impressive. Maybe he's thinking for 2014 and onwards?

Official news to follow up in less then 24 hours supposedly.

EDIT

Seems official now. BBC website has semi confirmed it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19755236

Last edited:
Smart move by Perez. Gives him the opportunity to replace Eybrown Man at Ferrari when he steps down, instead of becoming a Barricello/Massa-style stepping stone.

HAM, on the other hand, gets the "stupid decision" medal in platinum.

Now with an empty seat at Sauber, Ferrari should look to offload Massa to them and bring back Schuey. :mrgreen:

Holy shit what? Ham has left Mclaren?

WHAT?!?!?!??!!? WAIT WHAT!?!!?!?!? MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN.

1314124706256.jpg

No Ron Dennis, No Hamilton...

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Kinda sad to be honest. I don't see Hamilton liking Mercedes. And in my mind it doesn't seem to fit. The only positive I think is that he is teammates with Rosberg. And they kinda grew up together. So that's kinda cool. And I really can't see Mercedes winning a title in the near future. Unless they can loophole it again like in 09 with Brawn. Whereas Mclaren will always (pretty much) be there in the fight. Time and time again they have proven over decades that they can win championships. Silly by Hamilton.

Perez to win 2013.

I'm surprised nobody's relayed this yet. Looks like Austin is hammer down and heading for the finish line and New Jersey may now be a DNS.

US Grand Prix Formula 1 track gets green light

The new track built for this season's United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, has been passed fit for racing.

Bosses at the Circuit of The Americas track confirmed approval had been given following its pre-race inspection by Formula 1's governing body, the FIA.

Sidebar:
US Grand Prix venues

2000-7: Indianapolis
1989-91: Phoenix, Arizona
1984: Dallas, Texas
1982-88: Detroit, Michigan
1981-82: Las Vegas, Nevada
1976-83: Long Beach, California
1961-80: Watkins Glen, New York
1960: Riverside, California
1959: Sebring, Florida

The race, scheduled for 18 November, had a number of problems in its preparation and was on the brink of being dropped last year.

It will be the first circuit to host an F1 race in the US since 2007.

The decision ends a long-running saga surrounding the event, with building work halted late last year after a dispute between F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone and race organisers.

Construction was stopped in November 2011 when the circuit's owners said they had not been granted a contract to stage the race.

Next year's US Grand Prix is due to take place in New Jersey, but that event is now in doubt, with Ecclestone repeatedly questioning the organisers' readiness to stage the race.

The Grand Prix has been included on the provisional race list for 2013 and the calendar will be finalised on Friday.

Also, it turns out that we now know why COTA doesn't look like it's going to suck like most Tilke tracks. Kevin Schwantz was one of the prime movers of the design.

Last edited:
Nobody gives a fuck about Texas right now.

Anyway, back to topic of 2013's lineup...
I'm expecting Nico Rosberg to be bitch-slapped by Hamilton, almost race after race. Perez should give Button a run for his money, but not over a whole season.
Schumi would probably switch to Mercedes' internal department, or retire from F1 for good.

A real surprise move by Hamilton, I was almost convinced that the whole story was a bluff to get McLaren to sweeten the deal... Obviously not.

p.s : Kudos to Eddir Jordan, he made every nay-sayers look stupid, including myself... (I thought hamilton would have stuck with McLaren)

Last edited: