2012 Formula One Grand Prix of Hungary

lukenwolf

Car(s)
Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 16V, dedicated ring toy
The German GP Thread came a tad late last week, so this time, it comes a few days earlier...

Formula 1 Magyar Nagyd?j 2012

Race Date: July 29th, 2012
Circuit Name: Hungaroring (Mogyor?d, Hungary)
Race Distance: 70 laps, 306.66km (190.55mi)
Lap Record: Michael Schumacher (Scuderia Ferrari) 1:19.071

Drivers Championship Standings
1. Fernando Alonso D?az (Scuderia Ferrari) 154
2. Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) 120
3. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) 110
4. Kimmi R?ikk?nen (Lotus-Renault) 98
5. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) 92

Constructor Championship Standings
1. Red Bull-Renault 230
2. Scuderia Ferrari 177
3. McLaren-Mercedes 160
4. Lotus-Renault 159
5. Mercedes GP 105

Track Layout
Hungaroring.jpg

(picture taken from Wikipedia)

3D lap introduction

Last Race

Race Date: July 31st, 2011

Pole Position: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) 1:19.815
Fastest Lap: Felipe Massa (Scuderia Ferrari) 1:23.415 (lap 61)

Podium:
1. Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes)
2. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)
3. Fernando Alonso D?az (Scuderia Ferrari)

Questions for consideration
1. Hungary was the site of the first ever Grand Prix victory for three of the current F1 drivers - Fernando Alonso, Heikki Kovalainnen and Jenson Button. Who of them will notch up another victory in Hungary or will they be beaten to it by someone else? (Heikki is probably a mildly risky bet :lol:)

2. Hungary has a lot of other "Firsts". It was the first GP behind the iron courtain, the first and only win for a Japanese team (Honda F1), debut race for the first ever Hungarian (Baumgartner) and Polish (Kubica) driver. Could there by another "First" this year, like the first Pole Position for Sauber (although they actually had one when they were owned by BMW), first pole or win for Grosjean, first comeback victory for Kimmi or Michael?

3. Despite not being the most spectacular track on paper, the Hungaroring has produced several memorable moments, like Damon Hill's spectacular run in the Arrows that almost won him the race in 1997, Mansells dramatic win from 12th on the grid in 1989 or Schumacher's stint of qualifying laps in the 1998 race. Could there be another memorable moment this year or will it be a rather unspectacular run?

4. Rain hit the last two race weekends. Hungary had the first wet race 20 years after the first GP was held. Will it live up to that sunny image or will the rainmasters get a third chance?

Cheers,
Lukenwolf :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Well Alonso is in good form isn't he. I guess he'll be right up there, along with Webber and Vettel. No idea what to expect from the McLarens or the Lotus guys.

I've come to realize that as long as it's a good race, I'm not too fussed about who wins/loses, with the following wishlist exceptions:

1) Vettel to stay off the podium. Nothing personal, but after two straight world championships, I want you to lose. I'm all for Webber, however.
2) Alonso can keep driving his heart out. I'll cheer for that. The tifosi, however, I'd rather would just disappear. Torn...
3) McLaren (esp Button) to re-challenge for the championship, if it's not too late.
4) Pastor Maldonado's car to stall at the starting grid come race Sunday. If he's not racing, everyone else is much better for it.

There's a party in British Columbia and we're all going.
Hey, we're nothing if not inviting. Feel free to come on in. You can even cheer Ferrari on. Just leave the tifosi attitude at customs, thanks. :p

Oh goodness, can we all just stop this? You guys love Ferrari, fine; others don't like/indifferent to Ferrari, fine! Stop arguing with each other like children. Respect other's choices, and others will do the same to you

I'd rather this thread be used for what it says on the tin - discussing the Hungarian GP. We had this tifosi argument in the German GP thread already ad nauseam. So for the sake of peace, if the Ferraristi could please stop being offended if someone looks at them cross-eyed and the non-Ferraristi please stop poking them with a stick. We all have teams we like and don't like, but excessive (and overly demonstrative) gloating and/or open expressions of hate could really be done without. Afterall we're dealing with a sport here, it's not World War III.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Alonso is the in-form driver, Ferrari is the in-form team as regards to strategy, and a Ferrari F1 car is now very competitive both in the race and in qualifying. So the question is who will beat him? It has to be one of the Red Bulls or McMercs no one else has the chops at the moment - may be the long shot is Lotus.

No doubt about Ferrari's car now being competative, but I wouldn't call it the car to beat. Most of Ferrari's current success is solely down to Alonso's form. Massa hasn't done much to write home about, although improved form in contrast to 2011. I think, if it stays dry, it'll be a threeway battle between Hamilton, Button and Ferrari. IT remains to be seen if Red Bull will be hampered by the mandated changes in engine mapping. With the twisty stop 'n go nature of the Hungaroring, it could take a while to get to grips with the changed engine characteristics and how much of performance they lose remains to be seen, too.

Thunderstorms are now forecast for the race, however, the qualifying should be sunny and 32C. This could play into Alonso's hands because in dry conditions the Ferrari can at best only match the performance of the Red Bulls and the newly upgraded McLaren. But the Ferrari seems to be in a league of it's own in the wet (or maybe it's just Alonso being epic).

Also, I want Perez in the second Ferrari ASAP!

Last edited:
RedBull just got their head slapped with the whole engine torque maps. What they were doing in short, was modifying the maps so they acted as traction control, letting only so much power to the wheels regardless how much the driver stepped on the gas.

Maybe this'll kill off some of their newfound performance.

SchumacherM said:
Maybe this'll kill off some of their newfound performance.

Was that really neccessary? How fucking sad is your life, you numbnuts?!? Ive really had it!! How come people cant watch a fucking race without sprouting shit like, Oh, I want this driver to do bad.', Oh, I want this guys mother to die of cancer!; Fuck the race as long as this guy doesnt get on the podium. I(f you've got nothing to contribute but negativity, stay the fuck away from my threads. I've had it with this fucking negativity in here !! I wanna see a race and not poke a vodoo pupet, hoping that someone dies :mad: Take youir negativity and bugger off and leave this thread to people, who really care about racing without going Hitler if the "wrong driver" wins. That's so pathetic !!

Alonso is definitely the man to beat this race, but there is a whole slew of drivers right on his heels. I think Hamilton has shown the pace to win, but has been unlucky in his race conditions. Button's sudden spark of improvement would suggest McLaren's efforts to improve the car have worked, and I think he can lead a charge with Hamilton. Vettel is my next choice, but it seems the engine mapping situation has affected his performance enough that he is just slightly behind Alonso's pace. After them, half the field is eager to take a win. Raikkonnen and Schumi are certainly overdue and probably hurting for a win. Webber has been to inconsistent to really call it for him.

I think Mercedes is is an also-ran, here (if it stays dry). Their car prefers medium to highspeed circuits, which Hungary isn't. They do however shine if it is wet. Should there be rain on Sunday, my money is on the ol' man :mrgreen:

1. I'm thinking Alonso if rains, Hamilton otherwise, he wants revenge...

2. Hamilton

3. Maldonado will ram schumacher, sending them both into orbit!

4. Yes please, let it rain!

Was that really neccessary? How fucking sad is your life, you numbnuts?!? Ive really had it!! How come people cant watch a fucking race without sprouting shit like, Oh, I want this driver to do bad.', Oh, I want this guys mother to die of cancer!; Fuck the race as long as this guy doesnt get on the podium. I(f you've got nothing to contribute but negativity, stay the fuck away from my threads. I've had it with this fucking negativity in here !! I wanna see a race and not poke a vodoo pupet, hoping that someone dies :mad: Take youir negativity and bugger off and leave this thread to people, who really care about racing without going Hitler if the "wrong driver" wins. That's so pathetic !!

:tvhorror:

What SchumacherM said was the most benign comment ever, especially since Red Bull were clearly cheating by having those engine maps.

Internet forum 101, because it seems you haven't read it:

1. You need to stop flying off the handle when you read a comment you don't like. Don't like what someone says? Just scroll down to the next post.
2. If you make a thread it doesn't mean you are suddenly a moderator so stop back-seat moderating.
3. Calm the fuck down, over the past week you've been in an argument with half a dozen people.
4. And stop with the insults - you've been running your mouth and calling people, "stupid", "pathetic" etc.

Maybe you should take a break from this forum, or maybe just leave.

Last edited: