2012 Lotus Exige S gets supercharged six and pays the price in pounds

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Yes, it is heavier, but if the performance improves greatly and the increased weight doesn't affect its track handling, then I'm down. Also, this looks a hell of a lot sexier than the old Exige IMO. The front spoiler reminds me of the 599XX and the back has this old school vib, kinda reminds me of the Espirit. :cool:

Lotus may have gone off the reservation with its plan to be all things to all people (again), but at least a few engineers back in Hethel still seem to have their heads on straight. And here's proof.

The next generation Exige gets a reworked body and tweaked interior, but the real news is under the clamshell. Lotus has pulled the 3.5-liter, supercharged V6 from the Evora S and slotted it into the back of the Exige S to create a 2,380-pound, 346-horsepower track sled designed and engineered to be, in the words of CEO Dany Bahar, "the ultimate Lotus experience."

Although the 200-plus pound weight increase isn't something Lotus founder Colin Chapman could get behind, the performance should be more than enough to make even hardened Lotus aficionados temporarily forget the "add lightness" edict.

Specially-developed Pirelli P-Zero Corsas are fitted at all four corners, while the Lotus Dynamic Performance Management (DPM) system allows drivers to switch between Touring, Sport and DPM Off traction control modes. Option up for the Race Pack, and "Race" is included in the settings, along with Launch Control and a reworked suspension.

Two interior packages ? Premium and Premium Sport ? will be offered when the Exige S goes on sale next year, but Lotus isn't giving out performance figures just yet. But considering the current Exige S does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, it's safe to assume the added grunt will bring that figure down deep into the threes, and have the handling chops to match.

Press Release: Group Lotus unveils the next generation Exige at Frankfurt

The 2012 Lotus Exige S

1080kg Lightweight Exige Chassis

+ 350 PS 3.5l V6 Supercharged Evora S Engine
= The all NEW Exige S

Raw performance, agility, unparalleled ride and handling and mind blowing drive experience, these attributes are what people have come to expect from Lotus. And we don't like to disappoint. After months of media speculation Group Lotus is proud to announce the latest addition to the family: the extraordinary new Exige S, the ultimate lightweight high performance sportscar.

Alongside the staggering power to weight ratio, the Exige S has a completely new exterior and interior look and feel. The dramatic styling overhaul sees a completely new look for the Exige including a new front splitter and rear spoiler giving it a strong and aerodynamic profile.

There are two new interior package options available: Premium and Premium Sport. The Premium Pack provides added comfort and style where as the Premium Sport option focuses on creating an internal space optimised for ultimate driver involvement.

Built for the adrenalin hungry sportscar aficionado, the Exige S features high performance bespoke tyre package with Pirelli P-Zero Corsa tyres as standard. A Lotus DPM (Dynamic Performance Management) switch allows the driver to switch between three driving modes: Touring, Sport and DPM off. And if three dynamic settings are not enough, an additional Race Pack option is available which adds a fourth driving mode setting: Race. This setting provides the maximum possible traction out of corners. The Race Pack also features Launch Control and an optimised suspension setting making the car perfect for letting rip on the track.

Commenting on the Exige S, Group Lotus Chief Executive Officer Dany Bahar said: "Anyone who has ever driven an Exige will tell you that it's not for the faint-hearted. The new Exige S skips a few rungs on the ladder to give the driver the ultimate Lotus experience. Quite simply you can't get more Lotus than the Exige S."

Please note: At time of going to print (September 2011) the fuel economy, CO2 and performance figures have not been witness tested. Group Lotus plc will publish these figures as soon as they become available on the lotuscars.com website.

06lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

07lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

14lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

13lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

04lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

02lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

03lotus-exige-siaa11.jpg

Adding more power at the expense of more weight goes against every fibre of Lotus' being. It disgusts me. Leave it alone Lotus!

That front looked nice at first, but after staring at her for a while, it tends to look weird. The 3/4 shot is pretty good, though. And I have to agree with ahpadt, that rear just looks lazy.

Lotus has done something right... I'm really digging this and I hope this new Exige will turn out a success in the long run. So what will happen with the Elise? Will it stay the same or will it evolve with this new Exige? Its badass though.

Front looks very Porsche-ish.

Looks good, but not as sharp as the outgoing model.

Looks like a winner! 1080kg, that thing still is a lightweigt car. But they should dump the damn supercharger. 350hp n/a engines are available out there, on the market!

Last edited:
Looks like a winner! 1080kg, that thing still is a lightweigt car. But they should dump the damn supercharger. 350hp n/a engines are available out there, on the market!

...and don't forget it's still a Camry engine...:glare:

Speaking of that, why did Lotus stick a Camry V6 into the Evora in the first place? I know they used the 1.8 Toyota engine in the Elise, but why did they have to go with another Toyota engine? It's not like they have ties to Toyota, do they?

Last edited:
The Toyota engines meet global emissions standards; aside from the bumper height, noncompliant engines were what kept a lot of Lotus products out of the US.

Their prior engine supplier? Rover.

But still... Toyota.

Why not Honda? I'd say their engines' high revving character would fit Lotus much better, than the comparatively boring Toyota engines. Imagine the Elise/Exige with the Mugen K20A Type-R engine, or even better the 3,2 V6 out of the NSX-R in this new Exige, and the Evora...

I'm guessing you haven't noticed, but the Toyota engines Lotus is choosing are the ones designed by Yamaha for Toyota... So they're not exactly the boring Toyota engines of yore, either.

As for Honda, they are busily supplying Lotus' competition - Ariel.

It's kind of interesting to see how the Lotus-Toyota thing has grown. Initially, the Toyota engines were only for US market cars and they kept the Rover engines for the ROW/UK cars. Now they're just using the Toyota engines. If Lotus had chosen to call Honda instead of getting a deal on left-over Celica engines for their US product (Toyota was only too happy to sell them what ended up being the overrun as the Celica didn't sell like they thought it would), maybe they'd be using Honda now.

Last edited: