2012 NHL Off-Season and Pre-Season Thread

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
Sorry, i have dropped the ball here. Here is a proper thread for the rest of the off season and i also made it a pre season thread just in case i drop the ball again :(

On that note, Tampa is looking good so far. Dont know alot about our new goalie but i hear i should hagve faith in him because Jesus (Stevey-Y) said i should.

Honestly didnt expect this

Predators match offer sheet, retain Weber

The Nashville Predators will retain franchise defenseman Shea Weber, agreeing Tuesday to match the offer sheet Weber signed with the Philadelphia Flyers last week.

On July 18, Weber, a restricted free agent, had agreed to a 14-year, $110 million contract with the Flyers.

Predators GM David Poile previously had said that the franchise would match any offer Weber received, and lived up to his word. The Predators had until Wednesday night to make their decision, but didn't need to take the full seven days.

The move solidifies Nashville's defense in the wake of losing Ryan Suter, Weber's All-Star defense partner, who signed a 13-year deal with the Minnesota Wild on July 4.

"In tendering an offer sheet to Shea Weber, we were trying to add a top defenseman entering the prime of his career," Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. "With Nashville matching our offer, we wish Shea and the Predators all the best."

At 14 years, the contract is the third-longest in League history, trailing only the 15-year deals signed by Ilya Kovalchuk with the New Jersey Devils in 2010 and Rick DiPietro with the New York Islanders in 2006. At $110 million, the total value trails only Washington's Alex Ovechkin, who signed a $124 million, 13-year deal in 2008.

It also marks the sixth time in seven instances since the 2005-06 season that a team has matched an offer sheet received by a restricted free agent. The only player to switch teams was Dustin Penner, who went from Anaheim to Edmonton in 2007.

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Predators can't trade Weber for one calendar year; however, that seems of little consequence based on how important Weber is to the Predators.

Weber, Nashville's captain since 2010, had 19 goals, 49 points and a plus-21 rating last season and was runner-up for the Norris Trophy. He also had two goals and an assist in 10 playoff games as the Predators won a playoff series for just the second time in franchise history.

In seven seasons, all with the Predators, he has 99 goals and 164 assists in 480 games. He has four straight seasons with at least 16 goals and 40 points.

Weber also now will have the chance to join veteran Hal Gill as a mentor to the Predators' younger blueliners. Roman Josi, 22, averaged nearly 19 minutes per game in the playoffs last season, and Jonathon Blum, 23, played nearly 18 minutes per game in 33 regular-season games. Ryan Ellis, the team's 2009 first-round pick, had 11 points in 32 games as he got his first taste of the NHL. A highly-skilled offensive-minded defenseman, he could join Weber on the Predators' power play in 2012-13.

Link

Would have loved to see Weber play for the Flyers, but at the same time I'm glad Nashville matched. They needed to make this kind of statement, and hopefully they'll continue to prove they are capable of building a winning team.

On that note, Tampa is looking good so far. Dont know alot about our new goalie but i hear i should hagve faith in him because Jesus (Stevey-Y) said i should.

Which goalie you mean.. Helenius did a fantastic job at JYP, won the champioship and looked very, very good at all games I saw..
Lindb?ck on the other hand is quite unknown to me.. being a backup for Rinne for the past 2 years -> he hasnt been able to show how good he is playing regurarly..

Would have loved to see Weber play for the Flyers, but at the same time I'm glad Nashville matched. They needed to make this kind of statement, and hopefully they'll continue to prove they are capable of building a winning team.

As a Penguins fan, I'm glad Nashville matched. We still need to get our offence off of the Crosby-Malkin plan.

You can't. They just inked Crosbitch forevah. What are they going to do if he can't come back?

You can't. They just inked Crosbitch forevah. What are they going to do if he can't come back?

She will continue to have complications for a long time and then become an adviser or something. Malkin proved they can live without him

Which goalie you mean.. Helenius did a fantastic job at JYP, won the champioship and looked very, very good at all games I saw..
Lindb?ck on the other hand is quite unknown to me.. being a backup for Rinne for the past 2 years -> he hasnt been able to show how good he is playing regurarly..

Lindback is being portrayed by the staff as the possible answer but my mind is set on that russian goalie we drafted. i was excited about him way back during the world juniors. never imagined we could grab him!

She... :lmao:

Not what I meant at all. Our offense is whatever Malkin and Crosby can give/inspire, and that's going to get us in even deeper trouble than we are already in if we can't find a genuinely independent forward.

Exhibit A: Game 6 against Philadelphia. Malkin was shut down completely, and Crosby just couldn't get in a groove. The series was over before the 3rd period began.

Exhibit B: The span of games when both Malkin and Crosby were out. We won out of sheer determination to show the naysayers that the team had more than Malkin and Crosby in it, which we managed to pull off for a while, but the other forwards couldn't carry a full NHL season without them, less so now that Staal and Zbynek are gone.

We're still playoff contenders if we go a full season without them, but more like 7th or 8th seed instead of almost division champs, and the chances of winning the Cup go down accordingly.

'Canes agree to terms with Alexander Semin

The Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday signed free-agent left wing Alexander Semin to a one-year, $7 million contract.

"I'm very happy to be a Carolina Hurricane," Semin said. "It's a great fit for me. I look forward to playing with great players, and putting together a winning season."

"Alexander's elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said.

Semin has scored at least 25 goals in six of the past seven seasons for the Washington Capitals, including a career-best 40 in 2009-10. Last season, though, he had a career-low 21 goals, and has totaled 54 points each of the past two seasons, down from the 84 he had in 2009-10. He also had three goals and an assist in 14 Stanley Cup Playoff games as the Capitals advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals.

While questions surrounded Semin's desire and work ethic, Rutherford said he envisions him fitting in just fine with his team.

"We have done a lot of research about Alexander, and discussions about his fit with our team have included people at many different levels of our organization, including players, coaches and staff," Rutherford said. "What's been clear throughout this process was his commitment to wanting to play in the NHL and compete against the world's best players."

In seven seasons, all with the Capitals, Semin has 197 goals and 408 points in 469 games. He also has 34 points in 51 playoff games.

Semin is the second top-six forward the Hurricanes have acquired this season, joining Jordan Staal, who came over in a trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins last month.

Link

And once again, Ken Holland has missed a player that is needed to fill a hole.

If that happens Detroit will be in the East Coast. But they will need to place a second team somewhere else too or there will be an odd number of teams.

So, tuesday. We'll finally find out if the NHLPA has actually been doing anything for the past two months or if they've been doing as much as it looks like they have. Oh yeah, sure, meet once for a couple hours every week or two, that'll make sure negotiations get done quickly. With a month left, if the counter offer is in any way unrealistic, well, you know :(