2012 Nissan GT-R officially goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds

No matter what the reality is, Nissan was MARKETING the car as such. Also as the few 911 owners on the boards can confirm they can take it to the track and beat the shit out of it and then just drive it home and pick up some milk on the way.
I'm sure that Nissan didn't say it is okay to use a technique which voids the warranty on a regular basis. And if you use the car within the specifications regularly and a part fails, they would have to vouch for it anyway unless it's wear part.

The 911 probably is the most solid supercar you can have, and I'm sure that there is a very small amount of failures. Nonetheless, if you use your Porsche on a track or a drag strip regularly, there will be increased wear and probably failure.

The problem is that to get the performance numbers Nissan advertises the only way to do it is to void the warranty. So Nissan needs to revise their performance numbers down to where the GT-R can actually get there without grenading the transmission and deactivate that "feature" or warn that using it on surfaces with good traction will void the warranty.

They already did that with a software revision in the newer models. As for the older ones, yes, Nissan should have handled this differently. I do remember that there was one guy who achieved to launch the car within the warranty in 3.6 secs (3.5 secs advertised), but I can't find it anymore (it was posted somewhere on this forum). Either way, that should be acceptable. The fault was that everyone told everyone else that using the LC is fine.

On the other hand, a lot of manufacturers published a lot of figures for their high performance cars which you could not meet in real life. I agree that this is not an excuse, but Nissan is not lying any more than anyone else.

Last edited:
That's not how the GT-R was marketed. Nissan was making a big fuss of it being a supercar you can take grocery shopping.

lolwat, lots of car manufacturers say things like that but it's hardly ever true.

No matter what the reality is, Nissan was MARKETING the car as such. Also as the few 911 owners on the boards can confirm they can take it to the track and beat the shit out of it and then just drive it home and pick up some milk on the way.

If you have a look on the GTR boards, there are plenty of GTR owners who do the same thing; the transmission issue was well over-publicised.

lolwat, lots of car manufacturers say things like that but it's hardly ever true.

It's called false advertising and there have been plenty of class action lawsuits over that. As an example you can look at the B5 A4 timing belt case for an example (belts failing earlier than the service interval said to change them)
If you have a look on the GTR boards, there are plenty of GTR owners who do the same thing; the transmission issue was well over-publicised.
Don't know how much truth there is to this but I was talking to a friend of mine the other day who was telling me when Panamera was introduced Porsche said that you can launch it as hard as you want as many times as you want and if anything breaks they will replace it.

Last edited:
It's called false advertising and there have been plenty of class action lawsuits over that. As an example you can look at the B5 A4 timing belt case for an example (belts failing earlier than the service interval said to change them)

Don't know how much truth there is to this but I was talking to a friend of mine the other day who was telling me when Panamera was introduced Porsche said that you can launch it as hard as you want as many times as you want and if anything breaks they will replace it.

I don't see how this is relevant? Nissan never claimed you could launch the GTR as many times as you want and expect no repercussions.

As far as I know, the PDK launch control slips the clutch to allow the car to leave the line at the limit of grip, with no axle tramping. In contrast, the first edition of launch control on the GTR dumped the clutch at 4500rpm, causing massive amounts of axle tramp; the reason for most transmission problems. Nissan has since revised it's launch control algorithm several times over the GTR's life. Launch control can now only be enabled with VDC on, and is covered under warranty.

As evident in this video, the original launch control in the GTR was quite violent:

However, if you watch the launch of the new 2012 GTR it seems much more refined and seamless:

Last edited:

If Nissan claimed that the first generation GT-Rs could be launched X number of times and they all failed before X times then that could be false advertising. But having parts wear out on a performance vehicle, regardless of how Nissan may market it, is not the same thing. It's not as if Carreras don't ever break down when they shouldn't even though Porsche advertises them as being suitable for daily driving.

And besides, as pointed out, the whole transmission failure debacle was blown out of proportion especially when coupled with all the doubt about its performance claims and so on.

That's one fast car... By the time he gets to 60, I'd be only engaging second in my french family econobox :lol:

I don't see how this is relevant? Nissan never claimed you could launch the GTR as many times as you want and expect no repercussions.

If Nissan claimed that the first generation GT-Rs could be launched X number of times and they all failed before X times then that could be false advertising. But having parts wear out on a performance vehicle, regardless of how Nissan may market it, is not the same thing. It's not as if Carreras don't ever break down when they shouldn't even though Porsche advertises them as being suitable for daily driving.
Nissan advertised the car as a daily beater supercar that can rival 911 on a race track and is still within the price range of "regular" people. Then they went around showing off LC and advertising their 0-60 numbers, which could only be achieved with LC, then people bought those cars went out and did what Nissan reps were doing in damn near every single video. All of a sudden shit started breaking and Nissan started saying that "oh you are not supposed to do that thing we told you you could do" and voiding warranties. Leaving people with a 20 grand bills for their "affordable" supercars.

Imagine if Bugatti would void warranties on their Veyron if something broke when people reached 230mph.

Yes Porsches break, all cars break it's inevitable the difference is in how they handle their customers. I'm sure those Carreras that break down when they are not supposed to are promptly serviced under warranty.

EDIT: Yes I agree the transmission issue was blown way out of proportion, that does not change the fact that advertised performance could only be reached by doing something that voids the warranty....

Last edited:
still a meh car to me, it doesn't do much for me. I have seen a couple around on the way to work but never do the second glance or the "oh wow a GTR." This car could do 0-100km/h in 1.0s or 20s it doesn't matter, it won't make the "I like it" list. Good on Nissan though.

Pretty much my sentiments. It's as big as a truck and that turns me off instantly.

I think it's because people feel that like rusty said they have soul, and because they're so expensive they cant break.

And besides, as pointed out, the whole transmission failure debacle was blown out of proportion especially when coupled with all the doubt about its performance claims and so on.

It wasn't that the car could have a mechanical failure on a hard launch. That's true of any performance car.

The problem I had with the first-model-year R35 GT-R was that you could not get the (very widely) advertised 0-60 number without using launch control, and you could not use launch control without deactivating VDC, and you could not deactivate VDC for non-snow-related purposes without voiding the warranty.

That's bull. Admittedly, the problem is primarily with the terms of the warranty instead with the car itself (and perhaps that wasn't always made clear in debates), but that's bull.

Point.

How come nobody complains when Ferrari's explode after regular use, eat transmissions for breakfast and cost 3 times the price.
Because those are all things to be expected of an Italian car. ;)

Pretty much my sentiments. It's as big as a truck and that turns me off instantly.
I agree as well. There's no denying it's performance, but it just doesn't do anything for me. But then I can't think of any other "supercar" that does.