2012 Nissan GTR

Well, at least he lives up to his screen name, lol.

I'd take the GT-R as a daily driver that would also virtually blow away any other car on the road with little effort (of course, I'd likely get something like the AMS Alpha9 package, so I can outrun even a Veyron up to 160mph). On the weekends and for pure driver experience, I'd get something a bit more visceral and raw.

A vehicle modified by the use of performance parts and tuning may not meet the legal requirements for use on public roads. Use or installation of performance parts and tuning may adversely affect the driveability and reliability of your vehicle, and may also affect or eliminate your insurance coverage, factory warranty and new OEM part warranty. Performance parts are sold as is without any warranty of any type. There is no warranty stated or implied due to the stress placed on your vehicle by performance parts and our inability to monitor its use, tuning or modification.

Doesn't sound like very reliable 900hp. :p

I'd go for the GT-R. It's a more impressive car to me than the ZR1. The ZR1 is a better car than the Z06, yes, but the improvements are not astonishing. Better oiling for the motor, supercharger, better gearset, CF body panels, magnetic suspension, etc. Okay great, so basically it's an improved version of the Z06. The ring time is definitely impressive, but another 600hp/3400lbs car also achieved virtually same performance....the new Viper ACR, which uses basically same formula....manually rowed, high HP, RWD, etc. I honestly think with the proper mods a C6 Z06 can easily come within reach of ZR1/ACR performance since these can be thought of as the 'same' cars. The GT-R though is something unique and new from Nissan. It's not the best looking (neither is the ZR1 imo, especially with that utterly tacky/ricey looking window on the hood) but if you brows on GT-R forums alot of the public think its some kind of hot exotic (including chicks, hehe). Not to mention it's cheaper, and has 2 extra seats for those groceries and kids. I'd get the new Viper ACR over the ZR1, anyway.

Opinions are what make the world 'round my friend. :) While I would agree with you that the ZR1 & Z06 are similar cars, they would be completely different animals to drive. 133 extra horsepowers are a lot. There is a reason magazine drivers consistently drive the GTR around tracks than the ZR1, it's just more than they can handle. The Z06 is a lot more managable with less power. Although, the new PTM system sure helps.

I would also not buy a car to lug around a full load of groceries, kids, etc. If I had a car like that, it would be for my personal enjoyment and irresponsible driving (if kids were present that is). If you have a car that does it all, and you use it for all of that, it becomes less special to take the car out (again IMO). A nice daily driver is one thing, but I would love to have a special car in the garage waiting for me whenever I want the maximum pleasure in every aspect possible. Having to drive a different car to drive every day makes for the times you take the nice car out that much better.

I will agree that in terms of brand portfolio's, the GTR is definitely unique. However, I get a smile when I see a Z06 or ZR1 on the road....or this commercial on tv :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJW9Up0nJT4&feature=related

IMO, this is the bottom line (for this argument anyways):
-If you go on a lot of track days, and want to be competitive, take the GTR.
-If you use the car mostly for the street, Z06/ZR1 is the better choice (while track days would be more adrenaline filled IMO).

In the end, it all comes down to what you prefer, and I can see why someone would choose a GTR. For me, it is way to ugly and I would never use it for what it was made. 1,320 feet of bliss or some nice street runs will more than suffice in my book. And if I really wanted a big chunky car to drive around, I'd do it right with a CTS-V.

Last edited:
Wow. These folks in marketing actually go to school to learn how to be retarded?

The Nieman Marcus Camaro sold out. Retarded all the way to the bank.

Doesn't sound like very reliable 900hp. :p

Looks like it's a standard disclaimer that AMS puts on most of their tuning packages. There's an exact same warning for their Stage 1 package on the Evo X that adds 80hp by way of exhaust/intake/ECU reflash. So can't use that alone to judge the reliability of the alpha 9 package...of course higher HP would logically be more prone to more stress and whatnot. But to me it's still small price to pay than getting a factory car with that much power which would be exorbitantly expensive and basically unobtainable.

IMO, this is the bottom line (for this argument anyways):
-If you go on a lot of track days, and want to be competitive, take the GTR.
-If you use the car mostly for the street, Z06/ZR1 is the better choice (while track days would be more adrenaline filled IMO).

Indeed, diff folks for diff strokes. That is an interesting opinion but I'd like to think Z06 is more for the track, ZR1 is a bit more street friendly, and then the GT-R tries to get at the best of both worlds but to me the GT-R is more street-friendly due to its AWD setup and less likelihood for driver screwup thanks to its computer control versus a high HP, manually geared and non-supercomputer car such as the Corvette.

Looks like it's a standard disclaimer that AMS puts on most of their tuning packages. There's an exact same warning for their Stage 1 package on the Evo X that adds 80hp by way of exhaust/intake/ECU reflash. So can't use that alone to judge the reliability of the alpha 9 package...of course higher HP would logically be more prone to more stress and whatnot. But to me it's still small price to pay than getting a factory car with that much power which would be exorbitantly expensive and basically unobtainable.

A 400hp tune with no changes to the gearbox smells like disaster to me.

A 400hp tune with no changes to the gearbox smells like disaster to me.

Indeed. Anyone who drops that much money into power-adding without strengthening the motor internals as well as the transmission might as well throw that money away.

I like how Nissan says it now does a 7:20 around the ring in street trim. Yeah fucking right. + A fuckton of weight and only + 45 BHP = -6 seconds on a laptime? Yeah right. They still haven't owned up to that ass-pull 7:26 or whatever time they had before.

Did you watch that episode in TG where the new, heavy, street legal Evo (I think VIII) trashed the old, multi championship Audi Quattro in rally spec? Technolgy will give you those edges despite the weight gain. I think that's possible

It also helps that Nissan almost definitely underrated the GTR's horsepower.

Looks like it's a standard disclaimer

That's what I thought.

That is an interesting opinion but I'd like to think Z06 is more for the track, and the GT-R tries to get at the best of both worlds but to me the GT-R is more street-friendly....

I thought that too. It's a 4 seater, 4WD that can be driven in automatic.

It also helps that Nissan almost definitely underrated the GTR's horsepower.

People forget or overlook that fact all the time. I wonder if the 530 is accurate, my guess is that it's closer to the true output than the 480 claim.

Indeed. Anyone who drops that much money into power-adding without strengthening the motor internals as well as the transmission might as well throw that money away.

If the internals of an EVO X can't handle a 33% power increase, then they're not worth owning.

If the internals of an EVO X can't handle a 33% power increase, then they're not worth owning.

It's all a bit confusing, but I think nist7's comment about not having strengthened stuff was referring to the AMS Alpha GTR.