2012 Nissan GTR

I like how Nissan says it now does a 7:20 around the ring in street trim. Yeah fucking right. + A fuckton of weight and only + 45 BHP = -6 seconds on a laptime? Yeah right. They still haven't owned up to that ass-pull 7:26 or whatever time they had before.

Last edited:
I'd still rather have a ZR1. I know, I know...(giant) flamewars, etc. ensue after a statement like that but it is just too damn ugly. If I buy a car for that much money, it had better impress me in every way...and maybe get the girlfriend a little...uhhh...;) The newfound power is nice though. I just wish Datsun wasn't so shady about their times.

I like how Nissan says it now does a 7:20 around the ring in street trim. Yeah fucking right. + A fuckton of weight and only + 45 BHP = -6 seconds on a laptime? Yeah right. They still haven't owned up to that ass-pull 7:26 or whatever time they had before.

performance changes via Motortrend

The VR38DETT engine power climbs to roughly 520 horsepower. Torque increases to roughly 450 pound-feet and is delivered over a slightly wider 3200-6000 rpm band (previously 5200 rpm). The improvements are gained via changes to turbo boost pressure, valve timing, and air mixture ratio, reducing intake air resistance by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter and reducing exhaust air resistance through use of an enlarged section of exhaust pipe. The GT-R also manages to drop fuel consumption slightly, and CO2 emissions fall, too.

Acceleration should improve, aided by what Mizuno called "launch control" embedded in the VDC stability control system's 'R' mode and the six-speed dual clutch transaxle. However, perhaps aware of previous controversies regarding GT-R launch control, the official release refers only to improved "starting performance." At the opposite end of the spectrum, the transmission also now has an economy mode, while a new ultra-low precious metal catalyst aids emissions.

The GT-R's exceptional handling should benefit from a stronger body, including a carbon composite strut brace. A front suspension geometry change seeks better turning grip and straight-line stability, while a rear roll center adjustment is designed to improve tire grip and feedback. The GT-R also swaps to a lower friction shock absorber and a thinner front brake rotor that is 10 mm larger (390 mm) than its predecessor. There's no mention of mods to improve the adjustable suspension's ride quality. Lighter and more rigid 20-inch RAYS alloy wheels and new construction Dunlop run-flat tires complete the chassis update.

Externally, the 2012 GT-R appears little changed from its predecessors, but enough has been done to drop the coefficient drag from 0.27 to 0.26, while downforce is increased by roughly 10 percent. Enlarged bumper and grille openings are giveaways, as are the double fins and LED running lights mounted in the front corners. At the rear are a lowered and extended bumper and enlarged tailpipe finishers.

I'd still rather have a ZR1. I know, I know...(giant) flamewars, etc. ensue after a statement like that but it is just too damn ugly. If I buy a car for that much money, it had better impress me in every way...and maybe get the girlfriend a little...uhhh...;) The newfound power is nice though. I just wish Datsun wasn't so shady about their times.

I'd go for the GT-R. It's a more impressive car to me than the ZR1. The ZR1 is a better car than the Z06, yes, but the improvements are not astonishing. Better oiling for the motor, supercharger, better gearset, CF body panels, magnetic suspension, etc. Okay great, so basically it's an improved version of the Z06. The ring time is definitely impressive, but another 600hp/3400lbs car also achieved virtually same performance....the new Viper ACR, which uses basically same formula....manually rowed, high HP, RWD, etc. I honestly think with the proper mods a C6 Z06 can easily come within reach of ZR1/ACR performance since these can be thought of as the 'same' cars. The GT-R though is something unique and new from Nissan. It's not the best looking (neither is the ZR1 imo, especially with that utterly tacky/ricey looking window on the hood) but if you brows on GT-R forums alot of the public think its some kind of hot exotic (including chicks, hehe). Not to mention it's cheaper, and has 2 extra seats for those groceries and kids. I'd get the new Viper ACR over the ZR1, anyway.

If you think that video is bullshit, then you'd have to same the same about any other manufacturers' claim, whether they've provided a video or not. Why are Nissan's claims always viewed as less credible? It pulls similar laptimes in comparison to other cars on the ring as it does on other tracks.

I don't see why an almost 10% increase in power along with a complete chassis overhaul wouldn't result in a 6s laptime drop.

If you think that video is bullshit, then you'd have to same the same about any other manufacturers' claim, whether they've provided a video or not. Why are Nissan's claims always viewed as less credible? It pulls similar laptimes in comparison to other cars on the ring as it does on other tracks.

I don't see why an almost 10% increase in power along with a complete chassis overhaul wouldn't result in a 6s laptime drop.

At this time, those who still think Nissan is in a conspiracy to try to deceive the world about their 'Ring numbers will not be convinced otherwise. And as you said, all the other "official" ring numbers come from manufacturer claims and there's no way to confirm what kind of car they used. Even in-car videos don't show what chassis/engine/tire/etc. mods, if any, were done. Of course we know from 'common sense' that a car with a xyz amount of HP with abc amount of weight shouldn't run so many minutes and so many seconds. ;)

I actually prefer the Z06. In yellow! I think it looks better, I prefer the simplicity, and I love the sound of the LS7. The GTR is okay, but I never really got into it.

Here we go again everyone! Yipee!

I like it. However, I still think they should offer a manual trans.

I like it. However, I still think they should offer a manual trans.

It's as heavy as a boat, why would they offer something that makes it significantly slower? It's not like youre gonna get this thing for the driving involvement anyway.

It's as heavy as a boat, why would they offer something that makes it significantly slower? It's not like youre gonna get this thing for the driving involvement anyway.

Exactly, it's like 'press button to do a 7:2x on the ring' or 'press button to void warranty'.

Exactly, it's like 'press button to do a 7:2x on the ring' or 'press button to void warranty'.

2008 called and wants it's stupid internet arguments back...

Fuck it, I love the GTR. I like its tech wizardry and if I wanted only one car thats not daily driver this would be it. With the new interior it just looks better.

The GT-R is pretty sweet. That would be one car I have to drive, even if just once, before I die. For sure.

(Also, I'm going to assume personally that GT-Rs run on magic and unicorns in order to cut the time down.)

2008 called and wants it's stupid internet arguments back...

Well, at least he lives up to his screen name, lol.

I'd take the GT-R as a daily driver that would also virtually blow away any other car on the road with little effort (of course, I'd likely get something like the AMS Alpha9 package, so I can outrun even a Veyron up to 160mph). On the weekends and for pure driver experience, I'd get something a bit more visceral and raw.

Last edited: