Unveiled: 2013 BMW 1-series Gran Turismo

This is a Gran Turismo. That ugly hatchback (or the older, bigger and uglier one) is not. Give it up already, BMW.

msgt24_4c4931134788b.jpg

Thing is: As much as I dislike the idea of that fwd-version of a 1-series and 3-cylinder engines and stuff like that, as much am I ok with it, if it serves the purpose of keep them in the business and keep them producing stuff like M3, M5, x35i, x35d and so on.. thats the main reason for all this shitty downsizing. And when BMW needs to sell every number from 110i to 118i with some kind if tiny engine in order to keep the the M135i in the lineup too, then I am very fine with it. And if they start selling a Van/Minivan (like this 1GT), why the hell not!? Brings more money and a wider range of customers to the company, and with all its tiny engines it will again help balancing out some fat V8 in the lineup.

Thing is: As much as I dislike the idea of that fwd-version of a 1-series and 3-cylinder engines and stuff like that, as much am I ok with it, if it serves the purpose of keep them in the business and keep them producing stuff like M3, M5, x35i, x35d and so on.

And for those of us who want to see them go out of business because they're Pure Fucking Evil?

Yes, for mentally ill people like you, they are. :)

My mental illness has nothing to do with the fact that BMW are Pure Fucking Evil and deserve to go down, hard.

One can only hope that the M3 is good enough to negate this dreadful BMW Golf Plus.

I really don't care about the 1-series. I do like the coupe and M version, but as a practical hatchback, I've never been impressed. I always think about the TopGear test with the 130i against the Golf R32.

If BMW wants to sell practical little cars, than they probably should go FWD. Otherwise, just don't bother with the 5-door hatch version. I'd rather they succeed at building a fun car, than fail at building a practical one.

The thing is, selling practical cars (as much as possible) allows them to sell a bunch of fun-cars, without the need of the funcars to completely bear the responsibility to keep the company running.

Why is every fucking car these days looking more and more like massive fucking potatoes?

I want to buy a new car but, they all suck so much, all of them! Fuck the auto industry of today.

The thing is, selling practical cars (as much as possible) allows them to sell a bunch of fun-cars, without the need of the funcars to completely bear the responsibility to keep the company running.

But they're not! They are slowly becoming shit!

I know, but the 1-series isn't that practical. It gets beaten by a wide variety of other cars in almost every way possible, other than drift-ability. Going FWD would allow them to build a practical car that's actually good at being a practical car.

Its not just drifting, it drives way sportier by default than almost every other car in its class. But that only applies to the not-US-market, as the rest of the world actually gets the car with engines where you do notice a difference. The problem in the US is, that you only get it with 2, big, engines, so it gets compared to other cars with similar power. Everywhere else you get it with small diesels and petrols, starting even sub-100hp nowadays, costing ~20k. And that is the class where it competes with Golfs & Co, and is even stock just way more fun to drive than all of its competitors. Also by now the trunk and rearseats are about as usable as in most other hatchbacks. Its not like sitting in the back of a Golf is even a bit comfy or even "nice", that is not what hatchbacks are there for. Kids will fit just fine in there, but that applies to all Golf-sized Hatchbacks.

Yes, the 1-series is not the perfect car for everybody, and yes, it is quite pricy (regardless of the engine, country and whatever), but it offers just more fun even in everydays driving. I totally get that you get equally good cars for way less, I even considered an i30, but I decided for the other end. The question is: Is it worth it? The answer depends on the individual.

How am I supposed to know, I was like 2 when the last one came out. ('90 right?)

It's not like they have stopped existing, they are still around, and are often mentioned in articles. The first M3 was made in 1986, but I bet you know what a Ferrari F40 (or 250 GTO) is even though it was made before you where born, so it's an odd argument to make that because you where young or not even born you couldn't know about it.

It's perfectly fine that you didn't know, but the reasoning behind is just curious...

Last edited: