2013 Chevrolet Malibu

Last edited:
As long as it's properly constructed and doesn't break all the time, I like it. The problem is I imagine it to be thin, light and flimsy, which is the opposite of what I want it to be.

Agreed, I'm not liking the interior in general. The dash looks overstyled...don't like that stripe thing on the passenger side of the dash.

My biggest gripe is the fucking button for the cubby behind the audio system...why is it so large? Why is it so ugly? It should be a push button and not a gaudy sliding latch that sticks out. Better yet why not have the panel open simply by pushing onto that lower portion "push-push" style similar to how a lot of cars hide their center console cupholders under a door?

Details, GM...details. If you can't put more than a coffee break's worth of design into a fucking cubby, where else have you slacked off?

Ill reserve judgement on the exterior...need more pictures of the side of the car but it looks pretty iffy.

Overall I like the current car more, inside and out.

I thought that was a hoax?

Nope. GM has admitted to building some 2100 of them with the 'wrong steering wheel' and then had the cars reworked at the factory prior to shipment. The rework or installation of the proper wheel was done incorrectly in this car's case.

So, basically, they screwed up not just once, but twice! And remember, this is their 'critical' small car in the US on which their hopes of a comeback rest.

Imagine how well a non-critical one will be assembled.

Last edited:
Nope. GM has admitted to building some 2100 of them with the 'wrong steering wheel' and then had the cars reworked at the factory prior to shipment. The rework or installation of the proper wheel was done incorrectly in this car's case.

So, basically, they screwed up not just once, but twice! And remember, this is their 'critical' small car in the US on which their hopes of a comeback rest.

Notwithstanding that these are built at two different factories, using different components (yes, while some of them may be largely the same, not all of them are.)

And they're fixing/fixed the problem and admitted it, unlike say the toyotafail situation.

I know you don't like GM, and no offense, but I think you're strawmanning a bit here.

Now for a more legitimate complaint:

No V6 option.

EDIT: inb4 spectre brings up that I totally almost bought an 09 LTZ- in my defense it was a really good deal. And it had a V6.

Last edited:
No, I'm not. All this proves is: "Meet the New GM - same as the Old GM."

It indicates that the same general "we don't give a s**t" quality control that was endemic before the Bailout is still there and that nothing has really changed. They should have caught this before the cars shipped... and how did they make 2100 with 'the wrong steering wheel' before someone caught that mistake? If they missed something that obvious, what else did they miss?

Not to mention that the Volt, of which they have only sold 1200 or so, will apparently burn down your house... then try to burn it down again when it reignites. No kidding.

A fire apparently reignited inside the battery of a new Chevrolet Volt car early Monday, less than five days after the Volt, an electric hybrid, was involved in a blaze that destroyed a Barkhamsted garage where it had been plugged in for recharging.

Local authorities have been investigating whether Thursday's blaze was sparked by the Volt, but had not yet determined a cause when the fire rekindled."The rekindle this morning really adds to the mystery," Barkhamsted Fire Marshal Bill Baldwin said today.

Representatives from General Motors, the vehicle's manufacturer plan, are scheduled to arrive in Barkhamsted this evening to examine the car, Baldwin said.
[Sample Our Free Connecticut Business Midday Newsletter]

The hybrid electric car was not plugged in this morning when the fire rekindled, Baldwin said.

The first fire, which occurred last Thursday about 5 a.m., destroyed the attached garage, the Chevrolet Volt and a Suzuki vehicle that had been converted so that it too ran on electricity. The homeowners had apparently plugged both vehicles in for recharging when Thursday's fire broke out.

hybrid-car-fire-300x217.jpg

Last edited:
http://img196.imageshack.**/img196/8090/0012013chevroletmalibul.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.**/img163/6673/0022013chevroletmalibul.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.**/img843/4359/0032013chevroletmalibul.jpg
http://img848.imageshack.**/img848/2503/0042013chevroletmalibul.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.**/img834/4173/0052013chevroletmalibul.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.**/img849/6606/0062013chevroletmalibul.jpg
General Motors has officially debuted the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu ahead of its global introduction at the Shanghai Motor Show. The model boasts a completely fresh design inside and out along with more efficient drivetrain options. GM says that the new Malibu will compete in over 100 markets, though we have to imagine that the vehicle will also be integral to the company's plan to more than double its sales in China by 2015.

As a result, GM has shortened the Malibu overall, though the vehicle is both wider and offers more trunk space and more rear legroom than the previous-generation vehicle. We're told that those back thrones may be a tight-fit head-room wise for taller people, however.

Additionally, we understand that in the flesh, the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu wears more than a passing resemblance to the Lexus GS bloodline, though the squared-off tail lamps are likely intended to draw parallels to the muscular Chevrolet Camaro. Unfortunately, those fancy LED pieces will only show up on higher-level LTZ trims. Up front, designers adapted some of the successful features of the last-generation car into a more aggressive aerodynamic shape.

Under the hood, buyers can look forward to a more-efficient 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed automatic gearbox. The direct-injection mill delivers 190 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque, though GM hasn't released any mileage estimates at this point.

All-New 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Gives Customers More

Chevrolet's First Global Midsize for Customers in Nearly 100 Markets on Six Continents

All-new exterior designed to stand out around the world

All-new, dual-cockpit interior with more room, more quietness, more premium materials and content, and greater craftsmanship

All-new, fuel-efficient, 2.5L four-cylinder Ecotec engine with next-generation six-speed automatic powertrain

All-new ride and handling package engineered for best-in-class performance

All-new, aerodynamically efficient shape and active shutter system save fuel and reduce wind noise

All-new Chevrolet MyLink in-car infotainment system integrates online services like Pandora? Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio?

New radio face that articulates up and down revealing a six-inch-deep hidden storage compartment, a first for a U.S. midsize sedan

New safety features including 10 air bags, lane departure/forward collision warning system and a rearview camera system

On sale in the U.S. in 2012

DETROIT and SHANGHAI ? The all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu made its global debut today, with simultaneous introductions in the United States and China ? two of the nearly 100 countries on six continents where it will be sold. Chevrolet's first global midsize sedan will provide customers from Shanghai to New York and Sydney to Sao Paulo with expressive design, advanced technologies, ride performance and fuel-efficient powertrains.

"The current Malibu has left an award-winning impression and changed the way people think about Chevrolet. It redefined what an American midsize car could be," said Rick Scheidt, vice president, Chevrolet Marketing. "This all-new Malibu delivers on the intangibles of today's Malibu but gives customers even more: more style, fuel efficiency, content and features, craftsmanship, and dynamic capabilities rivaling high-end sedans."

Product highlights for North American models include:

All-new, fuel-efficient and powerful 2.5L four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic that lead Malibu's powertrain lineup

Expressive exterior design with a wide, athletic stance

Segment-best aerodynamics ? close to those of the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car ? that enhance fuel efficiency and reduce wind noise, including active electronic shutters on select models

All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize segment

New Chevrolet MyLink connectivity seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora? internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio?

European-influenced ride and handling traits

New safety features and technologies including 10 air bags, ultra-high-strength steel, lane departure warning/forward collision warning and rearview camera system

Expressive and efficient exterior

"The exterior design of the all-new Malibu carries DNA from its sister vehicles, the Camaro and Corvette, to bring a sporty sensibility to the family sedan segment," said Bryan Nesbitt, executive director for GM exterior design and Chevrolet Brand Champion.

A wider stance, broad shoulders and an integrated rear spoiler bring a new athleticism to Malibu and give it a more aggressive appearance. The new Malibu has a 4.5-inch (114 mm) shorter wheelbase and 62-inch (1,574 mm) front and rear tracks that are more than 2 inches (51 mm) wider than the model it replaces.

Other exterior design cues include Chevrolet's dual-port grille, projector HID headlamps, larger Chevrolet bow-tie badges front and rear, and new Camaro-inspired LED dual-element taillamps. The look is complemented by a range of large 17-, 18- and 19-inch wheels.

The new Malibu exterior is anticipated to be SAE-certified as one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in the segment, with a coefficient of drag (Cd) rating near Chevrolet Volt's Cd of .280. Because of Malibu's new shape and design, engineers were able to remove 60 counts of wind drag compared to the model it replaces.

Malibu also has electronically controlled and integrated active aero shutters (select models in North American markets) to improve aerodynamics and enhance fuel economy without sacrificing the exterior design.

Malibu's active shutter system automatically closes airflow through the lower intake opening when air intake is least needed. When closed, the shutter system enhances aerodynamic performance by redirecting airflow around the front of the vehicle and down the sides, rather than through it. Whether the shutter is open or closed depends on engine coolant temperature and speed ? for example, the shutters open when the car is traveling up a hill, pulling a trailer, or in hot city driving; the shutters close at highway speeds when less engine cooling is required.

Roomier, more refined interior

The new Malibu interior was designed to bring an element of sophistication to everyday driving, featuring an all-new dual cockpit design that creates an inviting, roomy and comfortable environment.

The increased width of the new Malibu means a more spacious cabin. Compared to the previous model, it has nearly 4 cubic feet (113 L) of additional interior volume, along with more shoulder and hip room.

The Malibu interior features metallic, chrome or wood accents located around the shifter, surrounding the center stack, around the instrument cluster and on doors and the steering wheel. Soft, ice blue ambient lighting reflects off of and complements chrome accents and ensures even, consistent illumination along the instrument panel and in storage pockets. Ice blue lighting on the center stack dials, exposed ice blue French contrast stitching, soft-touch and textured surfaces, and strategic applications of noise-deadening materials add to Malibu's interior refinement.

The Malibu also has a number of storage areas, including a radio face that articulates up and down to reveal a six-inch deep storage area behind its seven-inch touch-screen radio display ? a U.S. first in a midsize car. Malibu will also offer a full range of the latest infotainment options, including new color radio systems and an available navigation system.

Malibu will include Chevrolet's new MyLink infotainment package at launch. It builds on the safety and security of OnStar and seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora? internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio?. MyLink integrates wireless connectivity through Bluetooth to enable hands-free use of selected smart phone apps while the device remains safely stowed.

MyLink features a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display designed to manage the number of steps required to complete a task. MyLink also adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smart phones, building on the Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevrolet vehicles.

All-new 2.5L powertrain

The 2013 Malibu features a global lineup of fuel-efficient and powerful four-cylinder engines that complements its European-inspired driving characteristics.

An all-new Ecotec 2.5L dual overhead cam, four-cylinder engine with direct injection leads Malibu's engine lineup in North America. It is expected to be one of the most efficient of its size in the market. New features include enhanced authority continuously variable valve timing, variable-displacement oil pump and electronic thermostat that save fuel, while delivering V-6-like performance. It is estimated the engine will be SAE-certified at more than 190 horsepower (141 kW) and 180 lb.-ft. of torque (245 Nm). The new engine has noise-reducing features such as a cast exhaust manifold, steel crank, low-noise timing chain and direct mount accessories that contribute to a quiet-cabin experience.

The 2.5L is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic with features designed to enhance powertrain efficiency. They include changes to clutch controls and hardware that improves shift response and time. These changes enabled engineers to specify higher gearing to improve cruising efficiency while maintaining acceleration performance and driveability.

Driving experience

The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu delivers precise ride and handling. It has been engineered to be best-in-class and on par with more expensive sports sedans.

Benefiting from continuous refinement of an award-winning global architecture, engineers have tested, tuned and calibrated the Malibu on rural roads, highways, freeways and GM validation facilities around the world.

Contributing to the Malibu's ride and handling characteristics are:
A solid body structure as stiff as any in the global midsize sedan market, allowing for precise tuning and dynamic vehicle control

A premium steering gear for smooth, precise responsiveness and on-center feel
Proven and continuously refined MacPherson strut front and mutli-link rear suspensions
Large, ventilated front disc and solid rear disc brakes, clamped on by dual-piston front and single-piston rear aluminum calipers, which are expected to deliver segment-best stopping distance

An isolated engine cradle for tuned, refined feedback, without noise or vibration

Fuel-saving electric power rack-and-pinion variable-effort power steering, resulting in effortless low-speed maneuvers and a higher degree of steering feel at higher speeds

Chassis control technologies include four-channel anti-lock brakes, full-function traction control, four-corner electronic stability control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist system, corner brake control, hydraulic brake fade assist and drag torque control.

Safety features
When it comes to safety features, the new Malibu will be one of the best-equipped in the segment. The Malibu will also be pedestrian protection-compliant in all markets where it is sold, and for the first time in North America. Pedestrian protection design in the front of the vehicle reduces the chance of secondary collision between the pedestrian and engine block in car-pedestrian accidents.

The Malibu will also offer these standard and available safety features:

Dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags

Driver and front passenger pelvic/thorax side-impact air bags

Driver and passenger knee air bags

Roof rail air bags with rollover protection

Available second-row head/thorax side-impact air bags

Available lane departure warning system with forward collision alert

Available rearview camera system

OnStar is also included in Malibu's safety features and includes Automatic Crash Response, as well as improved voice recognition technology, remote diagnostics, remote door unlock, Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and six months of uplevel Directions and Connections service that includes Turn-By-Turn Navigation.

The new Malibu comes in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, with 10 exterior colors and four interior color combination choices in North America, depending on the model. Malibu production in the United States begins in early 2012. It will be built in multiple locations around the globe, including the Fairfax, Kan. and Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plants in the United States. Pricing will be announced later this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/18/embargo-april-18-8-30-pm-2013-chevrolet-malibu-unveiled-ahead/

Only GM could build a battery capable of combusting.

Wow, well done GM.

I have to say, I think it looks good.

Only GM could build a battery capable of combusting.

:roflmao:

Wow, well done GM.

I have to say, I think it looks good.

i think thats possibly because you didnt see the model before it. its the same car, well, with new taillights...

does anyone else think it looks like a Taurus in the front view?

I just vomited a little... GM once again builds a worthless car no one wants. Did I read too fast and missed the part about it being available with a 6cyl engine? Is it RWD? Hell it isn't even pleasing to look at.

Come on GM Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep is making better looking cars now.

I just vomited a little... GM once again builds a worthless car no one wants. Did I read too fast and missed the part about it being available with a 6cyl engine? Is it RWD? Hell it isn't even pleasing to look at.

Come on GM Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep is making better looking cars now.

Of course it is not RWD. They dropped the V6 in favor of bumping up the displacement of the I4 to 2.5l. Worthless......they do seem to sell. As for pleasing to look well........I think it looks better than most other offerings in the segment.

I personally think that the V6 is going the way of the dodo in the mainstream midsize segment. Hyundai and Kia proved that yes...you can sell midsize cars here w/out a V6 option and be successful. Also, let's not forget the weight savings that's gained by not having to strengthen the front end structure to handle the impact forces a larger engine has in a frontal impact, as well as the weight of the engine in general. Finally, most mid-size car's sold here are 4-cylinder anyway, mainstream drivers don't really think about the fact that they'll use about half of the potential of a V6..if that.

It'll be interesting to see whether Camry ditches the V6 in it's redesign soon.

I personally think that the V6 is going the way of the dodo in the mainstream midsize segment. Hyundai and Kia proved that yes...you can sell midsize cars here w/out a V6 option and be successful. Also, let's not forget the weight savings that's gained by not having to strengthen the front end structure to handle the impact forces a larger engine has in a frontal impact, as well as the weight of the engine in general. Finally, most mid-size car's sold here are 4-cylinder anyway, mainstream drivers don't really think about the fact that they'll use about half of the potential of a V6..if that.

This has more to do with idiot CAFE regulations than what the consumer actually wants - and it should be noted that Hyundai/Kia have made a point of advertising the V6 in their newer models, which are the ones that really took off.

For that matter, EVERY US market Hyundai Sonata generation has had a V6 option, so you are wrong.

Last edited:
This has more to do with idiot CAFE regulations than what the consumer actually wants - and it should be noted that Hyundai/Kia have made a point of advertising the V6 in their newer models, which are the ones that really took off.

For that matter, EVERY US market Hyundai Sonata generation has had a V6 option, so you are wrong.

The current gen car doesn't have a V6, it offers an optional turbocharged engine that they say delivers "V6 like power" but they made a big point about it coming only with a 4 cylinder this model cycle at launch. The same with Optima.

It should also be noted that they've also gone this direction with Sportage and Tucson...you can't get those with V6's either.

I don't like the centre console. The rounded top part looks outdated already. The Cruze's centre console looks much more up-to-date than that.

Here you cannot sell a mid-size car unless it HAS a four cylinder engine. Nobody buys a V6 midsizer. The Holden Epica was six-cylinder only (albeit only a 2.0) and it didn't sell in any reasonable quantity until it was offered with a four-pot diesel. And that's with the Holden badge on the front, something which allows almost any piece of useless rubbish to become a sales leader. There is a stigma that V6=high fuel consumption, which goes against the main reason one would buy a mid-size car over a large car.

I don't like the centre console. The rounded top part looks outdated already. The Cruze's centre console looks much more up-to-date than that.

Here you cannot sell a mid-size car unless it HAS a four cylinder engine. Nobody buys a V6 midsizer. The Holden Epica was six-cylinder only (albeit only a 2.0) and it didn't sell in any reasonable quantity until it was offered with a four-pot diesel. And that's with the Holden badge on the front, something which allows almost any piece of useless rubbish to become a sales leader. There is a stigma that V6=high fuel consumption, which goes against the main reason one would buy a mid-size car over a large car.

Yeah we got a earlier version of the Epica as the Suzuki Verona..and the engine was one if its weak points here as well...people were WTF'ing over the fuel economy of the inline-5 engine...esp considering the fact that it was by no means a powerful engine....

That said, there's still many people here who want the "big" engine, but just as many choose the 4-cylinder model of a midsizer.

The current gen car doesn't have a V6, it offers an optional turbocharged engine that they say delivers "V6 like power" but they made a big point about it coming only with a 4 cylinder this model cycle at launch. The same with Optima.

It should also be noted that they've also gone this direction with Sportage and Tucson...you can't get those with V6's either.

Yeah, that one has just been introduced (forgot about it for a sec) and we don't know how it is going to sell yet. So we don't know that it's going to sell well.

Awww it was looking so nice from the outside but as I scrolled down I was greeted by an interior with... with... fake wooden trim. Shiny fake wooden trim, and light grey plastics from an old Daewoo. Am disappoint.