2013 engine changes approved, but postponement possible

[video=youtube;tV-9A6UP1xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV-9A6UP1xo[/video]

Wrong engine. That audio is from a BRM 1.5l V16, not the 3.0l H16.

[video=youtube;tV-9A6UP1xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV-9A6UP1xo[/video]

to bad BRM sucked balls as a company, some great ideas and great drivers there, but the management wasn't up to the task of having a race team

1.5L v16? Surely that must be a horribly inefficient configuration.

Not really, the engines were fantastic, but the cars were apparently dogs to drive. they basically bolted the centrifugal supercharger from a Rolls Royce Merlin to the front of the V16 for boost, and it made 600 horsepower and revved out to over 12 000... in 1949.

EDIT: And they made that unbelievable noise. Easily the best sounding engine ever made.

Last edited:
Not really, the engines were fantastic, but the cars were apparently dogs to drive.

the car was great! the team just sucked at getting things done, and the engine was hugely unreliable
several times they registered for a race, yet didn't manage to assemble the car in time, and when they did, the engine didn't last a full lap...
but if they got everything right, they gave the ferraris a run for their money!

the car was great! the team just sucked at getting things done, and the engine was hugely unreliable
several times they registered for a race, yet didn't manage to assemble the car in time, and when they did, the engine didn't last a full lap...
but if they got everything right, they gave the ferraris a run for their money!

That's all well and good, but I was referring more to the fact that both Fangio and Moss thought they were terrifying, not because of the assembly etc. but because of how they handled and how much power they had.

For anyone who doubts the aural capabilities of 1.5-1.6 l turbo engines going only to 12-13k rpm, please listen to this.

sounds like a vuvuzela

For anyone who doubts the aural capabilities of 1.5-1.6 l turbo engines going only to 12-13k rpm, please listen to this.
*snip*

Sounds like my old GSR600, only less snappy...

This reminds me of just how much I miss turbos in F1. Having seen most of the races from the 1982-1988 seasons, I must say the loss of turbos was a big one. One of the things turbos brought to F1 was a sense of unpredictability, and most of the seasons from 1982 to 1987 there were more than two drivers competing for the title. Then there was engine reliability, which could play a significant role in the results, usually putting Ferrari out of contention :p

Anyway, I welcome back the turbo V6s to F1, It's been too long... :D