News: 2013 Ford Fusion?

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
fordfusion2013ipadapp-opt-1.jpg

We've still got a few days between us and the reveal of the 2013 Ford Fusion, but a minor bug in its iPad teaser app has given us an early glimpse of the all-new sedan.

As we showed you before, Ford enlisted the help of an interactive iPad app to count down the days until the Fusion's reveal. But today, an error with the app gave us a nice front-three-quarter view of Ford's new Camry-fighter, which has since been removed.

We're digging the low-slung stance, blacked-out Day Light Opening (greenhouse) and pixel-perfect wheel size, but it's the fascia that's easily the most handsome, combining elements of recent Ford concepts and polishing them up for production duty (along with a fair bit of Aston Martin in that grille). We'll be seeing much more in another three days, so stay tuned...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/06/this-is-the-2013-ford-fusion/

First reaction: Mondeo.

http://img854.imageshack.**/img854/5851/0000049419fordmondeo201.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.**/img441/9400/0000049421fordmondeo201.jpg

We should be getting full resolution images tonight.

That's one sexy looking car. The love child of an Aston and a Lancer EVO, I think. I approve.

The lack of a V6 is the only thing that disappoints me.

I love it, but i'm sorry it even has the two level Aston grille.

2008-Aston-Martin-DBS-Grille-Section-1920x1440.jpg

I'm guessing the reason we are seeing Aston design cues is partly from Ford's design department having helped design the British super cars. Intermingle enough and you get like minded people.

Now give it to SVT. :p

Thanks to vehicles like the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima, we've seen that mid-size sedans don't necessarily have to be conservatively styled three-box appliances, and this new Fusion is certainly a looker. Combining elements of the Ford Evos concept, not to mention a front fascia that's decidedly Aston Martin-esque in approach, the Fusion has a wide, flat stance with strong character lines down the side that wrap around to a sleek rear end. Clearly the design builds upon the Kinetic language of the European Mondeo rather than the Fusion we've lived with in North America since 2010.

The standard Fusion - available in S, SE and Titanium trims - will be available with three engines. The base mill is a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated inline-four with 170 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque, mated solely to a six-speed automatic transmission. We're sure it's a fine powerplant, but our interest is more settled on the next two: a 1.6-liter EcoBoost four with 179 hp and 172 lb-ft, and the range-topping 2.0-liter EcoBoost four with 237 hp and 250 lb-ft. Both engines can be had with the same six-speed automatic, though the smaller 1.6-liter engine can be mated to a six-speed manual box. Front-wheel drive is standard across the board, but top-of-the-line Fusions with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine can be had with all-wheel drive.

Ford is ditching a V6 for an all-four-cylinder lineup.

Like many other automakers, Ford is ditching a V6 for an all-four-cylinder lineup. That's par for the course these days, and with the Fusion weighing in at just over 3,300 pounds (loaded, AWD Fusions will likely weigh as much as 3,600 pounds), fuel economy is expected to be the best in the class. Ford hasn't released complete - or official - economy numbers, but Fusions equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine (complete with start/stop technology) are expected to achieve 26/37 miles per gallon city/highway, while front-wheel-drive, 2.0-liter-equipped cars should net around 23/33 mpg.

But if fuel economy is your thing, Ford has two even more efficient examples of the 2013 Fusion. Their names? Hybrid and Energi....

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/2013-ford-fusion-debuts-along-with-47-mpg-fusion-hybrid-100-mpg/

Pictures:
00-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

01-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

02-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

03-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

04-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

06-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

08-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

20-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

37-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

38-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

39-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

40-2013-ford-fusion.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. Wish I saw a different interior color than "coal bin" black. I also wish that, if this is the final production interior, the center stack would have gotten the physical knobs and buttons (instead of the capacitive touch buttons) that were promised with the changes made to MyFord Touch. While the touchscreen is much more responsive and fluid than before (at least according to reports..) I still like that Chrysler easily lets you turn knobs and push buttons if you want, even with the UConnect Touch system.

Last edited:
Looks like someone grafted an Aston Martin nose on a current model Mondeo. Quite good actually.

I think it's safe to assume that this will be the Mondeo too. In which case the one we get will probably have less aggressive styling. And a hatchback. Who buys sedans these days?

Yep, hatches rarely do anything for me at all. This thing looks great, but no manual for the 2.0 is shitty.