News: 2013 Ford Fusion?

Another aspect of the NA engine that no one's mentioned is fleet sales.

Much like the "older buyer who wants it simple so they can work on it", rental agencies want cars of the same ilk. Simple, no frills, econoboxes with automatic transmissions. These cars are looked upon as simple transportation, nothing else. No manuals, no turbos, nothing that the average renter can screw up.

Ford has to design a car that fits what the agencies want, so if they have to put money into developing a specific car, why not put it out there for the general public to buy as well. That's how Ford makes their money back. Also, there are a number of people that rent a car (for whatever reason) and like it so much that they will go out and buy a new one that's just like what they rented.

Rental agencies don't keep a car long enough to go beyond oil changes as far as maintenance goes. The average life of a rental car is only a little over a year so you get into the mid 20,000 range for mileage mostly. Nothing to do but oil changes and maybe a filter change.

Other fleets might have slightly different guidelines but the maintenance on a modern turbo engine is not that much different from a regular engine.

FOR GOD SAKE FORD STOP DELAYING THIS AND LET US HAVE THE MONDEO

Been waiting for long for this...

They're likely trying to ensure your launch goes smoother than ours. The car's had some teething pains with the 1.6 gas engine and some other early build issues.

The structurally related Lincoln MKZ's launch is in a perpetual state of flux at the moment as cars are being reinspected for quality in Flat Rock once they arrive from the original assembly plant. Its a slow, tedious process.

Not saying you'll have the same issues, especially since your Mondeo will come from a different assembly plant, but they likely want to make sure the production processes are down pat across the pond as well.

Indeed. My father has owned every generation of Mondeo so far though, and near enough most models as well, and we've never had any issues with quality, even those we bought at launch. Mostly been Genk cars, mind.

The first-gen Mondeo by now has bottomed out in terms of value over here: Any non-wrecked example will fetch 500?. As it's a Mondeo, and it's indestructable, the price does not go lower even when the MOT runs out. And as it's a Mondeo and thus has seen a lifetime of abuse, the cars with MOT are not worth more than 500? as well...

As a result you can buy a Modeo for 500 bucks, drive it till MOT runs out, sell it at little to no loss and get the next one.

The first-gen Mondeo by now has bottomed out in terms of value over here: Any non-wrecked example will fetch 500?. As it's a Mondeo, and it's indestructable, the price does not go lower even when the MOT runs out. And as it's a Mondeo and thus has seen a lifetime of abuse, the cars with MOT are not worth more than 500? as well...

As a result you can buy a Modeo for 500 bucks, drive it till MOT runs out, sell it at little to no loss and get the next one.

Contour's and Mystique's here are indeed stupid cheap these days. Dunno about them being super reliable here but there are definitely worse choices for the price.

Contour's and Mystique's here are indeed stupid cheap these days. Dunno about them being super reliable here but there are definitely worse choices for the price.

If I had the room, I'd be buying a Mk1 Mondeo in a heartbeat to lock away before prices start increasing.

The bumpers are a bitch though. They just shatter for no reason.

They shatter because they're a very thin layer of plastic over a hard foam core. Quite right though.

Meh... I'd take one of my car over the Contour any day of the week. :)

The US Fusion doesn't have these front signal lights, does it?

And...WAIT! The US version isn't a lift-back!! We only get a standard trunk?! Bastards!

Last edited:
Well, at least with it being a global platform, there is some hope. I'd love to see the lift back and estate/wagon Fusion offered here. I mean, how much could it possibly cost Ford to at least offer it? They already engineered them and did all the hard work. It can't be that difficult.

Could be some crash test rating thing. :( After having a lift-back, as much as I've lusted for a Mustang since 2006 and a BRZ since it's come out, I just don't think I could ever fo back to a normal "trunk." I don't care that the trunk can hold 1000 cubic feet if they're only giving me a mail slot to get stuff into it.

Can't get the manual transmission either. <sigh>

Can't get the manual transmission either. <sigh>

Motortrend mentioned you can get the 2.0 Ecoboost with a manual.

Well, at least with it being a global platform, there is some hope. I'd love to see the lift back and estate/wagon Fusion offered here. I mean, how much could it possibly cost Ford to at least offer it? They already engineered them and did all the hard work. It can't be that difficult.

Not sure. The original Mazda 6 was offered as a sedan, hatch/liftback and wagon. I have no idea how well the liftback sold but looks-wise it was essentially identical to the sedan, except for the different panel gap around the rear opening.