2013 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espa?a

lukenwolf

Car(s)
Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 16V, dedicated ring toy
Aaaand another tedious three week break comes to an end as we near the

2013 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espa?a

The Track
1000px-Catalunya.svg.png

For years this circuit near Montmel? in Catalunya as been the main testing track of F1 and therefore usually provides a good idea where the cars stand. In the past this has often led to 'noah's ark' grids, where respective team mates share a row for consecutive rows.
Due to the circuit's demanding layout, especially the aerodynamically critical final bends, this circuit often exposed what was wrong with F1 and races tended to be processional. With the advent of Pirelli's lottery tires, KERS and DRS overtaking is now a much more frequent occurrence.

The Past

Previous Winners

1991: Nigel Mansell - Williams
1992: Nigel Mansell - Williams
1993: Alain Prost - Williams
1994: Damon Hill - Williams
1995: Michael Schumacher - Benetton
1996: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
1997: Jacques Villeneuve - Williams
1998: Mika Hakkinen - Mclaren
1999: Mika Hakinen - Mclaren
2000: Mika Hakkinen - Mclaren
2001: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2002: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2003: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2004: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2005: Kimi Raikkonen - Mclaren
2006: Fernando Alonso - Renault
2007: Felipe Massa - Ferrari
2008: Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
2009: Jenson Button - Brawn
2010: Mark Webber - Red Bull
2011: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
2012: Pastor Maldonado - Williams

This track has been bossed by Michael Schumacher with 6 wins in the past. Who could ever forget the brutal trouncing he administered in the torrential rain in 1996.

The Records
Lap record 1:21.670 (Kimi R?ikk?nen, Ferrari, 2008)

Discuss away, y'all :w00t:

Last edited:
RedBull, Ferrari & Lotus to share the podium.

Mercedes, Ferrari, RedBull to challenge pole position.

I do hope for a nice Ferrari weekend, they need to capitalise on the pace that obviously lies in the car. Time to turn fortunes around. :)

PS: THREE WEEKS?!?!?! It was 3 weeks? Goddamnit...

i also hope for a strong ferrari weekend...there should be someone to give red bull a hard time!

Historically Fernando hasn't done too well there, maybe this time...

Well, Spain has always been the time of big upgrades, some other team can bring a surprise...

Jesus Christ on a Pogo Stick! Where did Hamilton pull that Q2 time out of :blink:

I doubt Mercs will be at the top in the end of the race.

hell yeah mercedes!! haven't set any blistering times during practise, so have been focussing primarily on their racepace, and still manage to lock out the front row!
vettel P3, with 3 of the best racers around him...
that might turn into an awesome race!!

Well I just got told. God damn that was an awful driver.

Fixed.

The Double-Diffuser-Champ continues to show his "quality" when not in a car that's three seconds a lap faster than the next nearest car.

If "I just had no grip" appeared in a thesaurus, he'd own about a dozen pages.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Button. He aint no Senna for sure, but he's never been a qualifying man. He's usually stronger in the race. And what he doesn't have in terms of raw speed he usually makes up for with dependability and consistency.

The Double-Diffuser-Champ continues to show his "quality" when not in a car that's three seconds a lap faster than the next nearest car.

Otherwise known as Nigel Mansell syndrome.

But just to actually add something to this thread, do we think the Mercedes cars actually have real pace, or are they just flattering to deceive yet again? How are they on their tyres, since Catalunya is supposed to be a very abrasive track?

Last edited:
Otherwise known as Nigel Mansell syndrome.

But just to actually add something to this thread, do we think the Mercedes cars actually have real pace, or are they just flattering to deceive yet again? How are they on their tyres, since Catalunya is supposed to be a very abrasive track?

They went for all out attack on qualifying as Dieter Zetsche, the Mercedes CEO was a guest in the Mercedes pits. They'll go backwards today.

they'll go backwards for sure

but i do hope rosberg manages better than 9th this time!!!

Oh cmon, I'm disappointed and he should be embarassed but give the man some credit. The man is a literal jesus in wet weather.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Button. He aint no Senna for sure, but he's never been a qualifying man. He's usually stronger in the race. And what he doesn't have in terms of raw speed he usually makes up for with dependability and consistency.

and a hot girlfriend with a bunch of sisters. I'd sign him.

they'll go backwards for sure

but i do hope rosberg manages better than 9th this time!!!

They didn't look too shabby in the long runs in FP and they did monster pre-season testing at this very track, so I think either of them on the podium is a realistic option.

^i'm a hamilton fan, but i don't think so....

vettel and alonso will get passed somewhere in the first 10 laps, and raikonen will get passed by using one less pitstop

and that is my podium prediction for today, not saying anything about the order though...

edit: anyone watched GP2? that were some awesome last laps! some really stupid moves as well though...

Last edited: