2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix of America/New Jersey/New York?!

F1 has a history of following the cash rather than the fans, and I fear that's why F1 is going to so many new countries like Russia, and India, etc. You only need to see a headline like "Russia to spend ?200m on Grand Prix" to realise that.

That's definitely been the case since Bernie took effective control. No track, no matter how packed, can generate the eight-figures he demands for an annual sanctioning fee - only governments. So we've seen all these new "national" tracks pop up in India, Russia, Singapore, Turkey and the Middle East while "traditional and historical" tracks like Indy, Spa, and Silverstone either pushed aside or placed at risk of being pushed aside until they opened the vaults.

The only reason Austin has a grand prix is because the State of Texas is fronting the sanctioning fee. I'm guessing New Jersey is picking up the tab for this one, which is why it's happening.

Germany needs only double their funding and they can have both tracks host an event every year again. And 20 million Euro should get the streets of Paris shaking to the sounds of turbo engines.

Last edited:
Somehow I think for 2013 I won't get my 'home' race. Which kind of sucks.

That's definitely been the case since Bernie took effective control. No track, no matter how packed, can generate the eight-figures he demands for an annual sanctioning fee - only governments. So we've seen all these new "national" tracks pop up in India, Russia, Singapore, Turkey and the Middle East while "traditional and historical" tracks like Indy, Spa, and Silverstone either pushed aside or placed at risk of being pushed aside until they opened the vaults.

The only reason Austin has a grand prix is because the State of Texas is fronting the sanctioning fee. I'm guessing New Jersey is picking up the tab for this one, which is why it's happening.

Germany needs only double their funding and they can have both tracks host an event every year again. And 20 million Euro should get the streets of Paris shaking to the sounds of turbo engines.

Well said. Bernie's always had something against Silverstone. Like the comment this week, "India has done what it took Silverstone to do in twenty years"

Yeah, India, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, etc, etc, may well have better facilities than Spa, Monza or Silverstone. But do they have the heritage, or anywhere near as many fans? Silverstone this year was sold out for all three days. Do any of the new venues enjoy that level of support?

No.

MagnyCours was a great track. Far better than the modern day Tilke snoredromes. And note, I said "French Grand Prix", not Magny Cours. I'd just love to see the French GP back on the calendar, there's interest for F1 in France still, and it deserves a race back in the country, whether that's on the streets of Paris, at Paul Ricard, or somewhere else entirely.

Bernie, STFU and retire for god's sake. F1 will be a better sport when you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
The other problem is that F1 is trying to generate a following in many countries by getting races there, but at this rate, getting a new race or two every year, forces others out of the calendar (like Turkey), giving it no chance to grow roots in those countries. The hard limit for events a year is 20, Bernie said so himself, so this will force one of the other races out. And I'm really, really afraid it's going to be one of the older traditional ones.

Turkey has been on the calendar for quite a while and it hasn't really generated any interest at all.

Cos it's greatly mishandled, trying to charge top dollar to people who don't earn enough to fit it into their budgets. India was about to become the same, except they lowered the prices when they saw the seats weren't being sold, and today, full grandstands.

Here is a very rough look at what it'll be like to drive at f1 speeds. Again, it is very rough, but I quite like it. That chicane looks crazy.

tbh, that looks like a nicer track than singapore!

Another view.

[video]http://video-embed.nj.com/services/player/bcpid619329501001?bctid=1248743419001[/video]

I'm from NYC and I have a lot of family there. Guess what I'll be doing? :)

I am meeting my mate tomorrow, I am going to try to persuade him to go to the Texas GP then on to Florida.

Here is a very rough look at what it'll be like to drive at f1 speeds. Again, it is very rough, but I quite like it. That chicane looks crazy.

That's going to be f*cking EPIC!! I love street circuits.

If the real circuit is anything like that animation...wow!! Lots of fast, blind corners and some good elevation change. It's got the speed of Montreal with the tightness of Monaco. Sounds like a good combination to me!