2013 Formula 1 Season Thread

To quote an Italian friend of mine, the Korean GP can be summed up as follows: "Another race, same crap!"

Why is it great to see him on top again? It sucks, it's boring, and it's ruining the sport.

Why wasn't MSC "ruining the sport" then? The "being on top consistently ruins the sport" argument is getting real old guys, even for you cellos.

Clich?s and stereotypes don't come from thin air, there wasn't a committee who decided them, there's always a bit of truth in them. Romeo and Juliet probably never happened, since Shakespeare never been to Italy at all, but in the choosing of the place where a love story like that took place, there was a reason it was Verona and not Hamburg.

All Shakespeare stories were set in Italy though :p

Why wasn't MSC "ruining the sport" then? The "being on top consistently ruins the sport" argument is getting real old guys, even for you cellos.

The difference is, MSC was that good. The Ferrari car wasn't significantly better than the others. I still stand by the fact that Vettel skills do not best those Hamilton, Alonso, or Raikkonen.

The difference is, MSC was that good. The Ferrari car wasn't significantly better than the others. I still stand by the fact that Vettel skills do not best those Hamilton, Alonso, or Raikkonen.

It's the combination of car and driver that makes the Red Bull + Vettel combo crazily good. Anyone knows of a free image host that can accept about 8GB of pictures that I took at the 2013 Singapore GP which was the 13th round of this season? :D

There's a sequence of shots that I took at the Marina Bay circuit turns 1-2-3 of Vettel going through, and the flatness + lack of roll AND his ease where he takes these 3 turns is mind boggling.

Edit: LOL forgot about imgur, my account is 2 years old and have 2 pictures uploaded from 2011.

Last edited:
^armedcats?

was it just me, or did anyone else also notice how much rake red bull was running?

I am pretty sure many people thought MSC was indeed ruining the sport.

tumblr_mub7zy67gV1r1bm0bo1_1280.jpg

If they pulled this off, it's Newey genius on the level of the legendary two brake pedal McLaren. And will be banned just as quick as that one.

EDIT: The obvious problem with this theory is that a "positive" traction control that does deploy extra KERS energy to gain drive out of corners would not lead to the signature engine sound of a classic "negative" traction control that works by limiting the engine's output.

Last edited:
If it's KERS related that would explain why the system doesn't work in Webber's car. :mrgreen:

P.S.: If the FIA wants the WRC to keep on going they surely won't go against anything RB does in F1.

Last edited:
Mercedes? Lewis Hamilton then added to the speculation in the Korean Grand Prix paddock on Thursday when he said: ?If you look at the onboard [camera], he is on the power full throttle at least 20 metres before anyone else, which is a huge advantage. The last time I was able to put the pedal down that quick was back in 2007 or 2008, when we had traction control.?

But Horner said: ?You?d be fairly stupid to introduce traction control onto a car that is governed by a single ECU that is granted by a tender of the FIA and that is scrupulously checked by the FIA. I can?t imagine any team in the pit lane would even entertain it.

?The electronic controls on the car are so tightly governed because it?s a controlled box we have. The settings in both the [Red Bull] cars are absolutely identical and they fully comply with the FIA rules. The FIA should be able to verify that and it?s a standard unit that all the teams are using. Any suggestion of traction control is either purely mischievous or wishful thinking.?

*Puts on consipracy theory hat* Maybe that's why Mark kept having KERS break downs; test it on the no.2 car until it works then give it to the no.1 and take it away from the no.2 because he's leaving anyway. *Takes off conspiracy theory hat* :p

Last edited:
P.S.: If the FIA wants the WRC to keep on going they surely won't go against anything RB does in F1.
Red Bull knows how motorsports work: The teams find loopholes in the regs, the governing body closes them, then the circle starts again. Has always been that way, will always be that way.

Additionally, Red Bull knows that while winning sells drinks cans, monotonous dominance does not. Thus getting their wings cropped a bit won't even be against their best interest. Which, more than anything else, is selling drinks.

Last edited:
Additionally, Red Bull knows that while winning sells drinks cans, monotonous dominance does not. Thus getting their wings cropped a bit won't even be against their best interest. Which, more than anything else, is selling drinks.

Good point. I'm not so much annoyed at Red Bull and Vettel as I am at the other teams for simply not getting their acts together.

*Puts on consipracy theory hat* Maybe that's why Mark kept having KERS break downs; test it on the no.2 car until it works then give it to the no.1 and take it away from the no.2 because he's leaving anyway. *Takes off conspiracy theory hat* :p

If i'm not mistaken their "funding" is based on their performance, so to get more money they need to have both their drivers as score many points as possible.
Vettel may be after the WDC, but Horner (and the whole team) is aiming for a fourth WCC. I don't think they will risk that by "screwing" webber with a bad car and faulty components.

/removetinfoilhat!

Good point. I'm not so much annoyed at Red Bull and Vettel as I am at the other teams for simply not getting their acts together.

That's like being annoyed at everyone except Williams in 92 and 93... Cos they got to the technology first.

There's obviously something fishy going on. The cars were so level in 2010, then suddenly Vettel gets dominant, then they're almost level again in 2012, and then Vettel goes dominant again, while the rules have not changed significantly. It's like Red Bull has a "Make things exciting" switch and they turn it on and off every odd year.

After reading the articles, this part

The engine electronics are cleverly programmed, the gearbox ratio is perfectly setup and Vettel?s driving style minutely prepared so that the exhaust releases gas in all phases, even while the engine is towing and therefore the sides of the diffuser remain perfectly sealed.

reminded me of this...

rocky-iv-2.jpg

Idk about you but I was cheering for Rocky :p

Last edited:
There's obviously something fishy going on. The cars were so level in 2010, then suddenly Vettel gets dominant, then they're almost level again in 2012, and then Vettel goes dominant again, while the rules have not changed significantly. It's like Red Bull has a "Make things exciting" switch and they turn it on and off every odd year.

The answer is pretty simple:

2010: No blown diffuser
2011: blown diffuser
2012: No blown diffuser
2013: blown diffuser
2014: No blown diffuser (because only one exhaus pipe)

Vettel gets it to work, because he can adapt to the counter-intuitive driving style needed for the EBD and Mark can't.