2013 NHL Season Thread

skidd

I just spent all afternoon watching games. NHL Gamecenter has been reduced to $50 for the season, plus NBC live-streamed both their games online. Flyers lost to the Pens, but that's ok, there's hockey again.

Two games, two OTLs. Well, that's one way of securing 48 points on the season.

I wonder if anyone could sneak into the playoffs on only OTLs. No wins or regulation losses.

I caught the last half of that edmonton-LA game. Doest I sense a might of tension amongst the audience? :p

The no-goal call was totally bogus. Refs said Gagner didn't try to get up fast enough, yeah because you can skate with one foot really easily. And he was knocked down from outside the crease. Either way, the balls on those officials, man, you can't just take back a goal and say interference like that. Glad the Oilers squeaked in an equalizer and an OT winner. And epic celebration by Yakupov.

random thought:

Markham's kind of like Glendale... I don't get why everyone's getting excited about it. Y'know, outskirts of the huge metro area, nowhere near any transit, no one lives anywhere near the (future) arena. Hamilton would actually make sense, but that'll never happen because they'd be too afraid of crippling Buffalo since that would kill off almost all of the Sabers' Canadian fan base. I don't know, if I'm the NHL, Markham's a diiiiistant third to Seattle/Quebec, I can't see the league thinking it's more viable. Plus MLSE would ask for a bajillion dollars for a new franchise to be allowed to set up in the GTA. Toronto media, shut up, no one likes you.

Im sad...

Still no word about whether Gryba will get suspended for the hit on Eller last night. Personally, I thought it was a clean hit with a mighty unlucky end result.

I don't think there was intent, but clearly Gryba needs to do better making sure he makes clean contact to the body. He will get at least 3 games for it.

Well, we were both wrong....Shanny believes there was intent (based on the way the ruling is worded; head has to be first point of contact AND targeted), so Gryba is out for two games.

Edit: what I don't get is how this hit is, apparently, twice as bad as the elbow that Ference put on Grabovski the other night....that had far more intent to it to me yet he only sits for one game? :/

Last edited:
Because Grabovski played on, but Eller got messed up. That's a stupid reason, in my mind. I'm ok with Gryba getting 2, since he did get a lot of body and the face was more-or-less incidental contact. But Ference should have gotten at least 3, possibly more. Just because the guy didn't get hurt doesn't make it a less dangerous play.

There were a couple more dodgy hits today....Phaneuf and Abdelkader may both get a phonecall tomorrow :|

Edit: I tell you what, the Islanders are making me wonder if they can knock off the Pens....never thought that would be the case going into the series, but they've been amazing with the comebacks :)

Alas, they couldn't quite pull it off. And man, my Canucks are sucking so bad at the moment, it's depressing. If there's just one sweep in round 1, I'd have put money on it being Chicago eliminating the Wild and not this one, lol

Last edited:
This might not be the correct place, but it's Hockey. :)
Spoilered for World championship spoiling.. :p