Unveiled: 2013 Toyota Avalon - Not Your Old Man's Avalon (Supposedly)

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Source - http://www.insideline.com/toyota/av...valon-redesigned-2012-new-york-auto-show.html

2013_toyota_avalon_f34_ns_40512_717.jpg

2013_toyota_avalon_r34_ns_40512_717.jpg

2013_toyota_avalon_fint_ns_40512_717.jpg

NEW YORK ? Toyota has redesigned the Avalon for model year 2013, giving its flagship sedan a more aggressive face, a stiffer chassis and more compact dimensions. The 2013 Avalon, which was publicly unveiled Thursday at the 2012 New York Auto Show, goes on sale later this year.

Toyota describes the 2013 Avalon as being "re-conceived" with a "progressive" exterior design. Hallmarks include a massive lower grille and horizontal LED taillamps that recall earlier rear-end designs from Lincoln and Buick. A company press release accompanying the car's introduction said the Avalon's new styling and dynamics "foreshadow the more compelling and passionate nature of future Toyota products."

Contributing to the car's design and engineering were Toyota teams in California and Michigan. The new Avalon will be assembled at Toyota's manufacturing complex in Georgetown, Kentucky.

The car gets a more rigid body structure and beefed-up springs and stabilizers, which contribute to enhanced ride and handling, Toyota said. The new Avalon will offer buyers a choice of 17- and 18-inch wheels and tires.

Among the features are a larger trunk and a quieter interior, which is trimmed in leather with smoked-chrome metallic accents. The cabin features ambient lighting, several color displays and a rearview monitor.

Options include a JBL premium audio system, navigation, dynamic radar cruise control, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, three-zone air-conditioning and a blind spot monitoring system with rear cross-traffic alert.

Inside Line says: It may ride and handle better than its predecessors, but the new Avalon still looks a bit too much like middle-of-the-road American premium brands, especially from the rear.

I guess its interesting <_<

Erm fixed, sush :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Interesting that they redesigned it to be more "sporty." When I was in college and taking a PR class (easiest A in my whole college career), I spent a day with the PR department at the Toyota plant in Georgetown. This was when the Avalon was first introduced and the people there told me Toyota designed it to look mundane. According to Toyota's research, older buyers at the time thought the Camry was too sporty looking.

I guess those "older buyers" are dead now so it's time to rethink the Avalon's place in the market.

I'd say the side windows are very Ford Mondeo and the grill is very Ford as well.

[Insert a new superlative for "boring" here]

I can't take anyone that can't spell "supposedly" seriously. Nor can I take the Avalon seriously.

ETA: Thank you for the correction, Tim.

Last edited:
Interesting that they redesigned it to be more "sporty." When I was in college and taking a PR class (easiest A in my whole college career), I spent a day with the PR department at the Toyota plant in Georgetown. This was when the Avalon was first introduced and the people there told me Toyota designed it to look mundane. According to Toyota's research, older buyers at the time thought the Camry was too sporty looking.

I guess those "older buyers" are dead now so it's time to rethink the Avalon's place in the market.

I'd say the side windows are very Ford Mondeo and the grill is very Ford as well.

I got that Mondeo vibe as well, not that that's a bad thing. I am a bit disappointed in the fact that it does have a formal trunk instead of a liftback, but I guess they can't change too much of the car without fear of alienating Avalon customers. I suspect a few might not take to the more dramatic looks of the new one but that's the price of progress.

Overall, I think the new Avalon looks great, inside and out.

Why would you buy this over a Taurus, again?

Old and clueless, maybe? :p

The Taurus feels very tight inside for its size due to the smallish windows, high beltline, and imposing center stack/center console. Basically the total opposite of its predecessor that was known for its roominess and airy interior. The Avalon is likely far more roomy and expansive.

Last edited:
I've still never understood how they sell any of things. In Canada the current starting price for one is $41,000. A Lexus E350 starts at $42,000.

I don't care how old you are or how much dementia you're going through, how do you not choose the Lexus, even if only for the badge.

i actually like the design. a vast change over the present Avalon, which was more Buick than Toyota.

now i'm curious to see how the 11th generation Corolla will look like?

I've still never understood how they sell any of things. In Canada the current starting price for one is $41,000. A Lexus E350 starts at $42,000.

I don't care how old you are or how much dementia you're going through, how do you not choose the Lexus, even if only for the badge.

Here, avalon starts at 33 while a ES starts at 36k. So there's a bit of differentiation right there. Add in that avalon's a bit more roomy plus the appeal of a nonpretentious badge and you get a surprisingly large number of buyers.

i actually like the design. a vast change over the present Avalon, which was more Buick than Toyota.

now i'm curious to see how the 11th generation Corolla will look like?

I agree completely on both counts. Corolla's a very important car after all, I want to see if they sweat the details especially on the interior.

Corolla's a very important car after all, I want to see if they sweat the details especially on the interior.

I agree with you on that, Rick. The Corolla's their bread and butter, and they can't afford any missteps on it. But if the interior is like the Avalon pics, it'll just show that no matter what Toyota does, the stench of Beige will infect it. Yeah, this includes the GT-86; why do you think people seem to be a bit more excited about the Scooby version despite the higher price (and, admittedly, slightly more standard kit)?

If they call it Avalon here, it will fail.

Here's the turd we got served from 2000 to 2005ish:

253_model_Toyota-Avalon.jpg

Not even old people were fooled into buying it.

Is it just me or does every new car come out with the same rear end?

Is it just me or does every new car come out with the same rear end?

No, it's the same Kamm-back sort of sedan that the computers give as the answer to any aerodynamics-over-everything-else question. Brought to you courtesy of the "enhanced CAFE" regulation in the US.

The same way you choose an Avalon over a Camry, the Avalon is the bigger car. If you are fine with the smaller car, why not just get the Camry? Unless the badge matter that much.