Ownership Verified: 2013 Volkswagen Golf VII

Very nice looking VW.

Thanks all!

Sadly, I have to bring it to the garage tomorrow.
All of the buttons on the steering wheel stopped working (after only 3 weeks and 2000km).
I guess that's the risk you take when buying a brand new model.

Fitted winter tires on a set of 16" OEM alloy wheels today. Unfortunately it's currently 21?C outside. Damn you global warming!

2013-10-22_16.48.25.jpg

In other news, the misses recently got to pick a company car. So it's out with the Fiat and in with an Alfa Romeo Mito 1.6jtdm (120hp, 320nm). Fun and surprisingly fast car. More info/pics on request.

2013-08-23_18.38.40.jpg

Last edited:
In other news, the misses recently got to pick a company car. So it's out with the Fiat and in with an Alfa Romeo Mito 1.6jtdm (120hp, 320nm). Fun and surprisingly fast car. More info/pics on request.

request

I llike the look of those Aspen wheels :thumbup:

Thanks! VW didn't really offer me a choice. A set of Aspen alloys or steelies with hubcaps. Went ahead and ordered the alloys because they had an interesting offer combined with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's. Now that they are on the car they look look much better than I initially expected.

Well, it's a stock model from 2012. Distinctive line, Sport pack 1 (17" alloys, rear diffuser, sportier seats), 60/40 folding rear seats with third headrest and that's about it as far as options go.

Here's a picture from a trip to the N?rburgring last month (nothing in the company's car policy says we shouldn't), right after it had been run in. Might take a few more shots with my DSLR after it receives a wash.

AR_Mito_Ring_1893674.jpg

Aaaand he's out. Switched jobs and got to pick a different car. Won't be making a thread as it is a company car.
I was sad to see the Golf go but having two similar cars would be ridiculous.

Quick pic of the replacement:
2015-08-10_21.07.48.jpg

It is the lowly three-cylinder 116d, unfortunately I had no choice due to CO2 restrictions.

I won't have anything to report except for the spec sheet. It's fitted with all-season tires so not even a bi-yearly tire change :p

It is the lowly three-cylinder 116d, unfortunately I had no choice due to CO2 restrictions.

and how is that working out?
i have a feeling that for my next car, unless i pay an additional fee, i'll also have to choose from the 3cyl :(
(or go back to volvo...which does sound tempting!)

It's okay. Rough on idle, lots of vibrations through the gearknob when stationary. But once you're on the move it's pretty refined. Not a lot of engine noise is making its way into the cabin. As mentioned in the opening post of this thread I really like the Volvo V40. Given the opportunity I would be very tempted to go for the V40 D2!

how is accelleration on a slope etc?
that's what i'm most affraid for...it'll got ok-ish when you're alone, but take 3 people, drive uphill and it'll hardly accellerate...

Even when you're alone in the car you have to keep the rpms above 2000 because below it has no power whatsoever. This is mainly because of the very tall gearing. Compared to my Golf, which was on paper 11hp down on the Bimmer, you could get it to move from around 1500rpm no problem.

that's what i figured
i can tell in advance i will hate that engine with a passion :lol:

Why not? Peak power and torque come in after 2200rpm. Tall gearing means it takes forever to get from 1500 to 2200 rpm. If the gearing was shorter it would feel faster/more responsive, despite the fact that there would still be a boost threshold below 2000rpm. You have to rev higher before shifting up because if you don't, the revs drop too low (result of tall gearing) to be able to maintain your pace of acceleration.

Tall gearing means for some given speed you're in 3rd instead of 4th to be at 2000rpm, but the ratio in and of itself is the same.

At what revs to shift up to not lose boost in the next gear is another matter :nod:

Manual turbodiesel driving is usually an excercise in being in the wrong gear.