2014 1500 Silverado

JPuls

Hey guys, new here, from the Midwest in the US..just wondering what you all think about the dramatic changes in the 1500 Silverados in the 2014 edition. I've heard a lot of mixed reactions.

Don't care.

Next.

Don't care.

Next.

Let's not haze the newbies, eh?

Anyways, I'm not up on the GM truck scene but I'm interested to see if we actually get the diesel that rumors say is coming. Also, I'm not clear on the new truck's dimensions, but there's supposed to be a new, smaller Chevy pickup coming as well. I'd like to see just how many sales it takes from the Silverado. There's the issue of the base models versus the higher spec models as well. From the pictures I've seen the higher spec models are pretty ugly. I hope the lower spec ones are better-looking.

The GMC variant looks better IMO.

Chevy Silverado:

GMC Sierra:

Of course, it's more expensive than the Chevy though. The staggered launch strategy is interesting: They're building crew cab models only at first. Want a regular or extended cab, you'll have to wait until later this summer.

The interiors look ok although I still think GM's MyLink/IntelliLink touchscreen still looks cheesy:

EDIT: Base model Sierra and Silverado

98k4irA.png

jCSsVdI.png

Last edited:
Rick, I think the headlights of the GMC look really odd. Almost like those glasses with fake diamonds all around the theframe.. :D

The base model Silverado, with the black bumpers, looks much better. But, I'm a little biased towards the classic stacked headlights. If I could get one with all the accouterments of the top spec, but have it look like the base model, that would be ideal.

You know.....no matter how it looks they will sell millions, I think they all look perfectly fine except the weird 'diamond' headlights on the GMC version.

I rather like the new GMC Sierra, but the Silverado IMO looks too front heavy, it looks like an anvil on the front end with everything behind it being a toothpick.

01-2014-chevrolet-silverado-z71.jpg

I just think the front end is WAY too big considering the size of the rest of the truck. It's like one of those macho dudes at the gym who has a humongous upper body and teeny-tiny legs.

Last edited:
I do gotta say... I love that integrated bumper step. Ford's fold out stair,handle is much too silly.

I actually like the new front end with the quad headlights of the chevy. It reminds me of the C/K trucks from 82-87

The GMC grille just looks weird to me.

It's been just the opposite for the last several generations of GM truck though, I usually prefer the GMC front...

I rather like the new GMC Sierra, but the Silverado IMO looks too front heavy, it looks like an anvil on the front end with everything behind it being a toothpick.

I just think the front end is WAY too big considering the size of the rest of the truck. It's like one of those macho dudes at the gym who has a humongous upper body and teeny-tiny legs.

I feel the same way. I like the design, they just made it too big.

Also, while many say that the front end looks too much like the old one with the stacked headlights...I gotta say that the design of the lights themselves (with the projector beams, and other internal sculpting) actually goes a long way to making it look more modern/expensive.

That said, I'm still drawn more to Ford's designs for some reason.

Hey guys, new here, from the Midwest in the US..just wondering what you all think about the dramatic changes in the 1500 Silverados in the 2014 edition. I've heard a lot of mixed reactions.

This sounds suspiciously like some of GM's prior astroturfing PR efforts. But hey, I'll roll with it.

I don't think much of the dramatic changes in the Silverado. They made the truck even uglier. I thought even less of the truck once I found out it came in fourth behind its corporate twin and two older truck designs in the pickuptrucks.com 2013 Light Duty Shootout. A brand new truck design and it comes in last of the Big Three fullsizers? Yeah, back to the drawing board for GM.

Last edited:
This sounds suspiciously like some of GM's prior astroturfing PR efforts. But hey, I'll roll with it.

I don't think much of the dramatic changes in the Silverado. They made the truck even uglier. I thought even less of the truck once I found out it came in fourth behind its corporate twin and two older truck designs in the pickuptrucks.com 2013 Light Duty Shootout. A brand new truck design and it comes in last of the Big Three fullsizers? Yeah, back to the drawing board for GM.

A comparo already? Damn that was fast.

Especially with a new f-150 right around the corner...

It's GM, therefore I can only expect that it's crap. I'll take a new Ram before any GM truck product.

It's GM, therefore I can only expect that it's crap. I'll take a new Ram before any GM truck product.

Ha, ironically I' the opposite. However, I'm waiting for the real trucks to show. The 1500 is great but I'm hoping GM pushes the HD trucks a bit more this time.

The 1500 update feels like a facelift in so many ways rather than a full redesign. They should have worked on the components like they did with their HD trucks back in 2011. Just my 2cents.

Ha, ironically I' the opposite. However, I'm waiting for the real trucks to show. The 1500 is great but I'm hoping GM pushes the HD trucks a bit more this time.

The 1500 update feels like a facelift in so many ways rather than a full redesign. They should have worked on the components like they did with their HD trucks back in 2011. Just my 2cents.

The HD trucks aren't going to be getting a lot better. They're still going to be stuck with the least powerful engines in class (the Isuzu-made 'Duramax' diesels). To say nothing of the Allison transmissions that have their input shafts shear off.

At 397/765 for power numbers, it has to compete with the Ford Powerstroke "Scorpion" 6.7's 400/800 and the Dodge Cummins B6.7's 350/800. Since they're trucks, the latter is the important spec and they're just going to be operating at a deficit.

Last edited:
The HD trucks aren't going to be getting a lot better. They're still going to be stuck with the least powerful engines in class (the Isuzu-made 'Duramax' diesels). To say nothing of the Allison transmissions that have their input shafts shear off.

At 397/765 for power numbers, it has to compete with the Ford Powerstroke "Scorpion" 6.7's 400/800 and the Dodge Cummins B6.7's 350/800. Since they're trucks, the latter is the important spec and they're just going to be operating at a deficit.

But if I remember correctly the Silverado HDs' are significantly lighter than the Ford/Dodge offerings (2012) and the software used to control the transmission/engine etc is quite a bit ahead as well which made it a far more efficient truck with less power

I believe Chevy beat out Ford (dodge wasn't included as their HD offerings were weak at the time) in a shoot out by Pickuptrucks.com

EDIT: this was for the 2011 model year (3500HD) http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

And here is 2012 (2500HD) http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...aramie-longhorn-4x4-mega-cab-comparison-tests

Last edited: