2014 Australian Grand Prix

On the after-race show, they said something like the brakes now depend on the electric systems, and if these fail (and they did), only the front brakes work as a back up system - or something like that, I wasn't paying too much attention.
If you see the footage, the smoke really does come from the front wheels only.

Brake by wire for the ERS. The rear brakes have no physical (hydraulic) connection to the pedal.

If you ask me, this is a lot more risky than the chance of a T-bone... just saying.

It seems strange that a team like Red Bull could get tripped up by such a rule, that Ricciardo should lose his points and his position for his teams mistake, that is pretty harsh though it is reminiscent of James Hunt in 76...

It seems strange that a team like Red Bull could get tripped up by such a rule, that Ricciardo should lose his points and his position for his teams mistake, that is pretty harsh though it is reminiscent of James Hunt in 76...
Even stranger, since their race engineer was on the team radio at some point, telling Ricciardo not to worry about conserving fuel for the test of the race.

They got tripped because they measured the fuel flow via their own method, due to the flow meter being a bit wonky through the GP weekend. In their stubbornness or an attempt to gain an advantage, they made a bubu. Their fault.

Sorry for Ricciardo, but good to see that for once RB didn't get away with cheating.

I feel sorry for the guy but not the team. At the same time, it now worries me more the podium is entirely made up of Mercedes engines.

All the teams I symathise with, use MB engines, so no objections from me :D

It?s a team sport and the driver is part of the team so I don?t feel sorry for Ricciardo.

It was the first full race distance Red Bull had completed. I thought it was too good to be true for them to have zero powertrain issues throughout the race.

Very happy with McLaren's performance, given the so-so pre-season rumours.

No one can certainly complain that there wasn't enough action in this race... :blink:

Last edited:
They got tripped because they measured the fuel flow via their own method, due to the flow meter being a bit wonky through the GP weekend. In their stubbornness or an attempt to gain an advantage, they made a bubu. Their fault.

Not really, the rules are just shitty when it comes to this :

B) That although the sensor showed a difference in readings between runs in P1, it remains the homologated and required sensor against which the team is obliged to measure their fuel flow, unless given permission by the FIA to do otherwise.

D) That regardless of the team's assertion that the sensor was fault, it is not within their discretion to run a different fuel flow measurement method without the permission of the FIA.

Translation : even if you know the sensor is bad you can't change it....

Team assertion that it was bad. Stubbornness.

Translation : RedBull didn't bother to tell the FIA that their sensor was bad and took upon themselves to measure it another way and assume it was ok...

fix't