2014 Bahrain GP

I think the team that looks even more embarrassing than Ferrari is McLaren, they have MBZ power but can't compete well with FI or Williams...

Yeah, said it a few pages ago:

McLaren is turning into a clown team. I said it.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/4/15691.html

Does anyone else find it unbalanced that Ricciardo gets a 10-place grid penalty for his wheel problem that never became a problem, but Maldonado only gets a 5-place penalty for causing another driver to flip?

What Maldonado did should equal a 10 place grid drop. The stop-and-go was sufficient for Ricciardo imo.

Maldonado should have his license suspended and go to crapcar.

I think that's even worse considering Ricciardo retired in Malaysia.

Yeah, I think the mistake with the left front tire ultimately led to his retirement, which should have been punishment enough. Giving him a grid penalty was just harsh.

No, because he was barely staying within 1 second. It wasn't the wheel to wheel racing where he went wrong, they were both 10/10 there.
It was that he wasn't fast enough to get into a position to attack more often in a faster car and with 6 seconds handed to him by the safety car lottery.

The same 6 seconds that their golden boy got handed by a massive 2-lap undercut at the first pitstop. Undercutting by 2 laps is pretty much 'game over' in todays F1

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/4/15691.html

Does anyone else find it unbalanced that Ricciardo gets a 10-place grid penalty for his wheel problem that never became a problem, but Maldonado only gets a 5-place penalty for causing another driver to flip?

thing is, you can't blame a driver on the result of the crash, you can blame him for his move, but not for the fact gutierres flipped
it actually was hardly more than a racing incident (granted, again by him), and have that contact 5 more times, i doubt you'll be able to roll it again...

also, the grid penalty endured by ricciardo wan't a marshall ruling, it's a black-on-white rule. i doubt any marshall would hand a 10 place grid penalty for a loose wheelnut just on his own...

The FIA is very serious about unsafe releases and the penalties (stop-and-go and grid penalty) are standardized and severe because of that.

Fucking hell, Maldonado can't drive for shit. I didn't watch the race but I found the replay for that and that was just a sheer asinine and amateur move.

Why the fuck do they allow him to race in F1? Come on.

The same 6 seconds that their golden boy got handed by a massive 2-lap undercut at the first pitstop. Undercutting by 2 laps is pretty much 'game over' in todays F1

Undercutting means nothing. Means you get fresher tyres for a little bit, and will have to deal with older tyres later on. If undercutting was a guaranteed win, teams would pit at lap 1 and 2 and then run to the end.

About Maldonado, yes, I agree it was a bad place to be in, and that he should have known better, but not because he just saw a gap and tried the overtake... He came out too strong and found Gutierrez there and these cars cant stop for shit. I have never seen so many Formula ones driven by so many world champions and race winners just refuse to stop, or change their behaviors from lap to lap.

I do appreciate cars that are hard to control to see real talent shine through but these cars seem to go beyond that into the unpredictable territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Undercutting means nothing. Means you get fresher tyres for a little bit, and will have to deal with older tyres later on. If undercutting was a guaranteed win, teams would pit at lap 1 and 2 and then run to the end.

About Maldonado, yes, I agree it was a bad place to be in, and that he should have known better, but not because he just saw a gap and tried the overtake... He came out too strong and found Gutierrez there and these cars cant stop for shit. I have never seen so many Formula ones driven by so many world champions and race winners just refuse to stop, or change their behaviors from lap to lap.

I do appreciate cars that are hard to control to see real talent shine through but these cars seem to go beyond that into the unpredictable territory.

Yeah, turn 10 seemed to catch a lot of drivers out with locking wheels. Raikkonen seemed to do it fairly often as were the Williams duo at various points. I often feel that Maldonado has been unfairly criticised in the past but that incident was wholly his fault and should've been avoided.

I thought it was a superb race. The Mercedes fight was great entertainment value and while I was hoping for Rosberg to come out ahead all credit must go to Hamilton who defended brilliantly.

He wasn't even on the brakes hard, if he was he would have locked up. He flat out fucked that corner up and either lost concentration, thought Gutierrez was farther out or wouldn't be in his way when he got there or just forgot how grip works.

There's no excuse. He literally drove right into him.

Hey hey hey now...I race occasionally on those tracks! :p

Agreed, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my car and he'd get a harsher penalty than that in ChumpCar. lol.

I thought that was one hell of a race. So glad I watched it live as Bahrain tends to be one where I usually just wait for the highlights.

Mercedes looking mighty, I look forward to seeing if it lasts. Great to see Force India deliver on a promising line up. I'm pleased for Perez really, he fought hard and deserved it.

Williams got a bit unlucky not to fight for a podium, though compared to 2013, they've got the Midas touch. Massa's start was mega!

Ricciardo looks like the real deal.

Last edited:
I'm pleased for Perez really, he fought hard and deserved it.

this! first drives his sauber to 3 podia, get's a McLaren drive, doesn't achieve anything there
get dumped to force india, by the third race he's on the podium again :lol:

also, Ricciardo must be feeling quite chuffed. that's the third race in a row where he outraced vettel!

It was one hell of a race and the battle between team mates was great to see. The duel between Hamilton and Rosberg had been building for a while and it will be fun to see who comes out #1 in the end.

He wasn't even on the brakes hard, if he was he would have locked up. He flat out fucked that corner up and either lost concentration, thought Gutierrez was farther out or wouldn't be in his way when he got there or just forgot how grip works.

With the recovery systems cranked up to full, I think you can plant your foot hard down on the brakes and they won't lock up, they seem to have a lot less strength, you see drivers just continue on (like turn 1 in Australia) without lockups its like they've missed their braking points by 50 meters. But they haven't, its just the braking strength that went down significantly.