2014 Bahrain GP

Because he used his head and decided second place is better than no place?

No, because he was barely staying within 1 second. It wasn't the wheel to wheel racing where he went wrong, they were both 10/10 there.
It was that he wasn't fast enough to get into a position to attack more often in a faster car and with 6 seconds handed to him by the safety car lottery.

Well I wouldn't mind that if there was some sort of battle for the lead... Red Bull Turkey 2010 kind of thing? :cool:

Yay! :D

Bad race for Ferrari.... seems to be the top speed? Bad choice of ratios?? Is the power train just rubbish? Come on guys, finishing behind Force bloody India.

Other than that, entertaining race at the start, and then after the safety car. And I'll say again that accident proves these noses are actively dangerous.

Utter domination from the Mercedes team.

A good scrap between Rosberg & Hamilton.

Haha Alonso was celebrating his 9th place! I bet hes impressed about the F14T. Who would have thought that Ferrari can barely get into a top 10.

Did you notice that how much there were some very late braking overtaking moves?

Bad race for Ferrari.... seems to be the top speed? [...] Is the power train just rubbish?
I've read hints that Ferrari's engine is not down on power, but around 20 kilos heavier than the others.

Really? Reminds me more of Brawn 2009.

Yeah Brawn was great, but not that dominant. In 2009 there were other really good cars too, but they werent using their potential very well. Didnt Toyota lock the front row for Bahrain?

Yeah Brawn was great, but not that dominant. In 2009 there were other really good cars too, but they werent using their potential very well. Didnt Toyota lock the front row for Bahrain?

It reminds me more of Brawn rather than Ferrari because Brawn got its success from "getting it right" after a big change of rules, while Ferrari gradually got there after chasing it for half a decade, in a period of relative stability of the rules...

As to the Gutierrez / Maldonado incident, it looks like Gutierrez's rear tire climbed over Maldonado's front tire, which is what flipped the car. The nose of the Lotus doesn't look like it ever touched the Sauber.

My thoughts too.

Great finish to the race though. Some real good battles there. Sad to see the McLarens retire and wished better for the Williams, but glad to see Ricciardo come back for a near podium finish. I also think Nico pretty much consolidated second. Lewis wasn't going to make it easy for him and it wasn't worth the risk.

It reminds me more of Brawn rather than Ferrari because Brawn got its success from "getting it right" after a big change of rules, while Ferrari gradually got there after chasing it for half a decade, in a period of relative stability of the rules...

Yeah that is true.

Other than that, entertaining race at the start, and then after the safety car. And I'll say again that accident proves these noses are actively dangerous.

That crash can't be blamed on the noses! He was on the power when the front of his rear wheel touched crashtor's front wheel, what launched him into a spin. That crash would've been the same with a high nose....

Damn even I'll admit that was some sphincter clenching stuff at the end. If it was like that every race I definitely wouldn't mind the engines.

And wouldn't a car rolling over be infinitely better than having a car run over you?

The risk of a wheel smashing into your face seems way more dangerous than going for a head banger for a couple rolls.

Also Ferrari has been really pitiful these past couple seasons. Nothing really innovating on top of just being disastrously slow. You have 2 of the best drivers on the grid and you're barely in the points.

Almost forgot to mention Ricciardo's monster drive and smashing move on finger.

Last edited:
Great race, and congrats again for Lewis. I seriously thought they were going to crash into one another and then see Force India take 1st. :p

Luca looked pissed in the pits, and I still look for the red car every time I hear Massa's name. Ah well.

And that crash when Gutierrez flipped over was scary as hell. Instead of the crap noses, how about a decent roll bar or something?? I've looked at the replay twice and it does look like Maldonado is to blame. Again.

Last edited:
Ferrari...jesus christ... How does Domenicali still have a job?

Maldonaldo...you pillock.

Well looks like the season is going to pretty shit for anyone that doesn't have MBZ powertrain behind them. I think the team that looks even more embarrassing than Ferrari is McLaren, they have MBZ power but can't compete well with FI or Williams...

And that crash when Gutierrez flipped over was scary as hell. Instead of the crap noses, how about a decent roll bar or something?? I've looked at the replay twice and it does look like Maldonado is to blame. Again.

The airbox is the roll bar.

I know, but your head is still out in the open in front. Other than enclosing the driver, I guess there's no other option.

But it's still scary as fuck.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/4/15691.html
Maldonado gets China grid penalty for Gutierrez crash

Lotus's Pastor Maldonado has been handed a five-place grid penalty for the next round in China and given three penalty points on his Super Licence for causing the crash which sent Esteban Gutierrez rolling out of Sunday's 2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix.

Does anyone else find it unbalanced that Ricciardo gets a 10-place grid penalty for his wheel problem that never became a problem, but Maldonado only gets a 5-place penalty for causing another driver to flip?

Maybe, but wasn't the fact that Ricciardo never served his 10 second stop&go penalty for the unsafe release that caused this penalty? Maldonado served a 10 second penalty this race, in addition to the 5 place grid penalty next race.

Maybe, but wasn't the fact that Ricciardo never served his 10 second stop&go penalty for the unsafe release that caused this penalty? Maldonado served a 10 second penalty this race, in addition to the 5 place grid penalty next race.

I think that's even worse considering Ricciardo retired in Malaysia.