2014 Car Launches and Testing Thread

Gman333-X-ferrari

Car(s)
Holden Cruze SRi Z-Series, Honda CBR250RR
The first test is just around the corner, so I thought it was time to make a car launches and testing thread.

This year's cars are going to be very interesting with the advent of the new formula.

Car launches:

• McLaren-Mercedes MP4/29 - January 24th (Online Launch)

GA2o7R5.jpg

More Pictures

• Ferrari F14 T - January 25th (Online Launch)

f14t-front34.jpg

More Pictures

• Sauber-Ferrari C33 - January 26th (Online Launch)

Gr6RhNN.jpg

More Pictures

• Torro Rosso-Renault STR9 - January 27th (Launched at Jerez)

WcNf5lt.jpg

More Pictures

• Mercedes F1 W05 - January 28th (Track Roll-out)

uA3ZDtR.jpg

More Pictures

• Red Bull-Renault RB10 - January 28th (Track Roll-out)

INpgWR2.jpg

More Pictures

• Force India-Mercedes VJM07 - 28nd January (Track Roll-out)

DnCGewj.jpg

More Pictures

• Caterham-Renault CT04 - January 28th (Track Roll-out)

ObNkJzt.jpg

• Williams FW36 - January 28th (Track Roll-out)

LDuUBwL.jpg

• Marussia-Ferrari MR03 - January 30th (Track Roll-out)

IMG_5092.jpg

• Lotus-Renault E22 - February 19th (No Money Launch)

8wcAKqa.png

Testing schedule:

• Jerez - January 28th - 31st

Schedule:
    SIVKPZP.png

• Sakhir - February 19th - 22nd
  • Sakhir - February 27th - March 2nd

P.S. I will update this post with new pictures and information as they drop.

Last edited:
New nose a ?stand-out? feature on Force India VJM07

Force India technical director Andrew Green admitted the nose of the new Force India VJM07 is the ?stand-out? feature on the car.

Amid speculation over the designs of the 2014 cars Force India only showed the nose of their new car in profile when it was revealed today.

?The nose is a stand-out,? said Green, ?but from the nose backwards it looks quite similar [to last year's car].?

However Green added the design was likely to change once the team begins testing.

?Our nose is a launch spec and later we will have an updated front end of the car, which potentially is quite different.

?We had to take quite a pragmatic view of it and say we?ve got to go testing so we?ve got to get a car out of the door. As much as we want to push the boundaries of the impact structure, because we know how important they are for the whole car, we don?t have the resources to push it to the limit in our first iteration, so we need a banker. The nose that is on the launch car is a banker.

?We?ve got ourselves a car that we can go testing and racing with. Several weeks ago we started pushing the design boundaries because we think there?s performance in it. There are new concepts coming through.?

Green added a lot of work had gone into recovering the downforce lost by the narrowing of the front wing, which regulations have cut in size by 150mm this year.

?The front wing change is significant,? said Green, ?it?s a completely different concept for 2014?.

?Visually it?s one of the biggest changes. That was a big task, rebuilding all those aerodynamic structures from the front to the back to complement the smaller rear wing.?

The regulations have forced further changes at the back of the car as well: ?The loss of the lower rear wing, or beam wing, leads to a significant loss of performance.?

?That lower wing helped connect the diffuser to the top wing and gave those two areas a lot of support. Without it, it?s become very difficult to extract performance and it?s going to be quite a tricky area to keep stable. So there was quite a dramatic loss in headline downforce numbers, while there was also a drop in drag, which has fallen quite dramatically as well.?

Source

The livery looks really nice but the dreaded penis nose will kill any hope of it looking decent on track. I don't see the nose changing that much considering it is the preferred shape with the new regs.

I like that livery, was really bored with the drab combination of white, green and orange - a colour combination that is only acceptable on national flags (and even then just barely), nowhere else.

I like the "moose" descriptor. The nose looks much more like deer than like a penis. Additionally, we will get used to the nose as we got used to the raised noses in the Nineties.

Additionally, due to the regulations on alocoholic beverage advertisement, including a ban on alcohol advertisement -total or in the context of sports- in key F1 markets like France and Russia, I doubt the Martini thing, eventhough I'd LOVE to see a Martini livery.

Last edited:
When did a ban on alcohol come into effect? Was unaware of that although I havent noticed Johnnie Walker logos on the McLarens for a couple of years now.

Last year's Force India was an alco-billboard and German F1 broadcast is presented by a brewery, as are the games of the national Football team. As far as I know, there's no ban on alcohol advertising.

When did a ban on alcohol come into effect? Was unaware of that although I havent noticed Johnnie Walker logos on the McLarens for a couple of years now.
Last year's Force India was an alco-billboard and German F1 broadcast is presented by a brewery, as are the games of the national Football team. As far as I know, there's no ban on alcohol advertising.
I did not say there is a blanket ban everywhere. But there are bans in some key markets. Just two examples:
There is a ban of all alcohol advertising, including, but not limited to, television broadcasts and billboards, in Russia. I don't know if the televison ban extends to sports broadcasts, though. In France, all alcohol advertising is banned in the context of sports events. That most likely would only affect the French Grand Prix. And finally, in the US, racing teams are not allowed alcohol advertisement if their drivers are not of legal drinking age, i.e. younger than 21. With Bottas being 24 and Massa old enough to be his father, this rules does not affect Williams.

As I said - I'd LOVE to see a Martini livery, so let's hope that Martini does not care about selling their stuff to the Frenchies or the Russians.

Last edited:
Alc sponsorship is not forbidden in Russia. DTM ran there last year without problems.

Alc sponsorship is not forbidden in Russia. DTM ran there last year without problems.
In Russia, since January 2013, all alcohol advertisement is banned on TV, billboards, in print and online media and on public transport. Don't know how DTM got around that, but I guess baksheesh is the answer.

In Russia, since January 2013, all alcohol advertisement is banned on TV, billboards, in print and online media and on public transport. Don't know how DTM got around that, but I guess baksheesh is the answer.

Gouvernment can issue special permits, I suppose.

It has been chosen. :)

1000867_766545133375113_54117676_n.png

That's disturbing.