2014 Car Launches and Testing Thread

Marussia present their car:

IMG_4956-886x590.jpg

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/30/marussia-mr03-first-pictures/img_4956/

No running for Red Bull today either. Supposedly Renault didn't like the way they had installed their electricals. Too compact and overheating, perhaps? ;)

Maybe, but listening to that explanation by Stewart (7 minutes in or so) shows you how different it is and how nowaday's F1 is a lot less exciting. Not to mention how the cars look.

In 1986 those engines were brutal. And they were also very efficient.

But they didn't have to last very long. And manufacturers also had a slightly different engine spec at every race. It was madness. The good kind :p

No running for Red Bull today either. Supposedly Renault didn't like the way they had installed their electricals. Too compact and overheating, perhaps? ;)

Perhaps, but neither of the other two Renault-powered teams managed too many laps at a time before either pitting or stopping on track, so... I'd say the underlying issue is more of a Renault problem than a Red Bull problem.

The same way the new powertrain is shit delivering power. I mean 1200 bhp on race trim... not even with that proposed all wheel drive KERS.

The same way the new powertrain is shit delivering power. I mean 1200 bhp on race trim... not even with that proposed all wheel drive KERS.

1980s F1 engines had more like 850-900bhp at their peak in race trim (in 1986, they took away power in '87 and '88 with pop-off valves), 1200+bhp was with the boost cranked up to 5 bar and the wastegates welded shut.

Also, they had a fuel allocation that gradually shrank over the years: 220 liters in '84-'85, 195 in '86, 180 in '87 and 150 in '88. The '88 fuel allocation for the turbo cars is close to what we have today, it's 100 kg now, which in liters should be somewhere between 130 and 150 depending on fuel density.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but neither of the other two Renault-powered teams managed too many laps at a time before either pitting or stopping on track, so... I'd say the underlying issue is more of a Renault problem than a Red Bull problem.

It's quite apparent that the Renault engine is a bag o' balls. With the engine freeze, I'd say you're pretty effed if the latter part of your team name says 'Renault'. I could see a few new customers for Honda or even Cosworth next year. It's pretty clear that the French have dropped the ball, while having a Merc in the back seems to be like golden elixir so far.

The engine freeze will not come into full effect until 2019.

I like the sounds of these engines, but I do wish they had a few more rpms for a slightly higher pitch. The current sound is a bit like the feeling of a sneeze that won't come.

I like the sounds of these engines, but I do wish they had a few more rpms for a slightly higher pitch. The current sound is a bit like the feeling of a sneeze that won't come.
Autosport reported that the engines manufacturers imposed rpm limits around 3000rpm below the maximum allowed by the rules for this test.

Not that i blame them. The first test needs to be taken with caution, data analysed and we'll see faster action at the next test. I also expect renault to get their shit together by then.

Not that i blame them. The first test needs to be taken with caution, data analysed and we'll see faster action at the next test. I also expect renault to get their shit together by then.

I guess it also doesn't help that their effectively a car short, with Lotus not turning up.

Just watched Ted Kravitz notebook on Sky, some interesting things: Newey and Horner have both flown back to MK early after the team have been having heat/packaging/engine/ERS problems all week, Hamilton says he doesn't really like the new fly-by-wire rear brakes but says he is taking hairpins in 4th or 5th gear now due to the extra torque and a Caterham guy (I forget his name) was talking about noses and said that most teams are still evaluating different solutions in CFD and said the Lotus nose(s) is likely to be slightly heavier but when asked if he liked it replied "it's very interesting, yes :)"

Might we see more two-pronged noses by Melbourne?

James Allison said it doesn't really matter what type you go for, as the differences are so small. I've read that in previous years too... :dunno:

I prefer the merc/ferrari noses tbh. Red bulls is also passable. The rest is just a mess.

Here's some actual on track footage of the current cars doing their rounds:

Nice, but not quite as cool as the view I had at Jerez. I was even sitting right where that video was filmed. :cool: (Just not for this photo.)

The engine freeze will not come into full effect until 2019.

Ted Kravits mentioned though that from the start of the season, they won't be allowed to make any more performance modifications , so reliability and fuel economy upgrades only from Melbourne on?

Of course, that's a joke in F1 since someone will convince the FIA they need a bigger turbo to be "more reliable" (see: Red Bull demanding to be allowed to blow their diffuser more than the other teams for reliability reasons...)

But it seems it won't be a development free-for-all at least.