Unveiled: 2014 Chevrolet SS

Ah, the Chevrolet Schutzstaffel. :p

It'd be different if it were the Impala SS, Chevelle SS, Nova SS, etc., etc. - a model name with the Super Sport trim/variant designator. But noooooooo, SS is the model name...

They tried spicing up the last Impala with a SS model...that didn't turn out so well. Old SS customers/general enthusiasts were completely turned off by the whole we're-not-brain-damaged-enough-to-be-Impala-drivers thing.

FTFY.

I am not really surprised, the last similar car (the Pontiac G8) was sold here, but not the gxp (the only trim with an available manual)

EDIT: I needed to put these side by side to compare:

Exterior:
2014chevroletssdaytona-017.jpg

Honestly...i think it's the cheap looking matte black plastic and cheap chrome wheels that's the issue. The glossy plastic on the Holden adds some much needed "pop" visually.

This is the same criticism leveled at the modern Pontiac GTO..that it's bland. Maybe it's a case of "grass is greener" longing sort of deal, as the cars don't look much different from their Australian counterparts beyond some detail changes.

I think the photography makes a huge difference also. If that's an official Chevrolet PR photo, the one that they chose to reveal their car to the world's media, that's just an incredibly poor effort. It looks like someone turned up with a point and shoot camera set to auto, parked the car in front of a fighter jet and went 'right, that'll do.' These photos are meant to make the car interesting and exciting, this just looks like someone standing in front of a car with an iPhone.

Also the chrome wheels are hideous, silver is a dull colour and certainly the wrong colour for this car, and yeah, some post processing goes a long way.

It should be pointed out that in the American operating environment, that nice glossy piano black front piece would look like total ass in about a year or so of use. The grained finish piece may look worse, but it will hold up better - and generate a lot less warranty claims.

The GTR has a similar glossy black/dark grey piece in the front. How has that held up over the years (or is that painted metal...couldn't imagine it would be, but...)

And yes, I realize there probably aren't many GTR''s with as many miles as this car will likely have, but of all I've seen, I don't think I've seen any with trashed black front pieces. And, if plastic dipped in palladium/chromium can hold up reasonably well...

Last edited:
I have seen a couple that have shown myriads of little gouges in the black plastic. On a grained piece, they'd blend right in. On what they have, not so much.

The Kia Forte Koup has a piano black panel in about the same place, and it it looks like ass up close after a couple of years on those cars. This is something that puts on the miles like that SS would.
2010_kia_forte_koup_new.jpg

How do chromed-plastic and regular plastic bumpers hold up swell? For example, how does the blue plastic right next to the black plastic hold up? Couldn't they make it out of the same materials/finishes/processes as if they were making the other parts of the bumper, but in black?

How do chromed-plastic and regular plastic bumpers hold up swell? For example, how does the blue plastic right next to the black plastic hold up? Couldn't they make it out of the same materials/finishes/processes as if they were making the other parts of the bumper, but in black?

They could, but that would cost more. Most piano-black finish plastic parts are not painted, they're molded and (sometimes) then polished. Chromed plastic and painted plastic bumper pieces have an additional layer of material on top that is more chip resistant than the underlying material (the chrome and paint, specifically). In fact, the formulation of paint for bumpers is different than that used on the rest of the body.

Last edited:
I haven't dared to take the "carbon fiber pattern" sticker off my black bumper piece for fear of finding something worse.... not helped by the fact that I drove the car into a stone wall on ownership day 2.

No Schutzstaffel for Canada, according to Autoblog. Why?
If this car is mostly just a rebadge of the Aussie original, then probably due to bumper regulations. Our regs are slightly stricter than in the US, but this only seems to be a problem for overseas vehicles

It's the same reason we didn't get the GTO, or EVOs 8 and 9

Last edited:
If this car is mostly just a rebadge of the Aussie original, then probably due to bumper regulations. Our regs are slightly stricter than in the US, but this only seems to be a problem for overseas vehicles

It's the same reason we didn't get the GTO, or EVOs 8 and 9

Not true anymore, our bumper reg are now inline with the US (and you can now import evo 8s and 9s).

Since it's a niche model, I'm pretty peeved it didn't get the LSA (556hp Supercharged ZL1/CTS-V engine). That would excite people. A better color would have been nice, looks pretty boring, but that goes with the styling. :lol:

I'm really happy that GM decided to push this through. My question, though, is who the targeted customers are? Most people can't afford this car; it's simply too expensive to buy and run. Those that can afford it (professionals) are going to be driving much more refined and prestigious German and Japanese cars. Those cars might have less power, or be less exciting, but they are proven in their class. Maybe the same people who buy Hyundai Genesis and Equuses will jump on this model, but then again, they don't really care about badges or whether they drive an American car. Who will it be?

If pricing is near what the G8 was, how will "most people" not be able to afford this car?
Expensive to run? At least around here, when there is a V8 available in the model, it seems most people tick that box over anything smaller. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Charger, 300, G8, etc.

The targeted customer is the same as the G8.

~95% of guys (and it will be guys in this market) are just going to get the Camaro SS and call it a day.

I don't think this is the case at all. I don't know where you live, or if you are in the US or not, but G8s sold like crazy and there were actually a ton of women who bought these and still do.

The Corvette has the LT1, does this car use the old LS3 instead? Or are they confused?

Anyway, automatic only so who cares. Only old people will buy this car.

I'm confused why they wouldn't throw the LT1 in it. I have a feeling it'll end up like the 2010 Mustang GT, which had the 4.6 not the 5.0. That had a refreshed look so it sold ok, as this will since it's a new car, but the following year (assuming it gets the LT1) will sell much better.

As for the lack of manual...sucks, but maybe one will be coming. Nothing wrong with the auto though. That's how most of them sold. And they are pretty good. :D (friend's car below, bone stock trans minus converter)

... G8s sold like crazy ...
Sorry man, I agree with everything in your post but that's just ... wrong. :lol:

Pontiac sold less than 40,000 of them in 2 years. Honda sells that many Civics and Toyota that many Prius' every 4-5 months. I wish the G8's had sold like that but it just isn't so. And I seriously doubt a blander Chevy with less options will fare any better than the G8 did. Damn shame.