Unveiled: 2014 Chevrolet SS

Hey thats not bad actually. Needs a license plate to cover up the mouth though.

The front looks a bit "meh" but other than that I like it.

I'm really happy that GM decided to push this through. My question, though, is who the targeted customers are? Most people can't afford this car; it's simply too expensive to buy and run. Those that can afford it (professionals) are going to be driving much more refined and prestigious German and Japanese cars. Those cars might have less power, or be less exciting, but they are proven in their class. Maybe the same people who buy Hyundai Genesis and Equuses will jump on this model, but then again, they don't really care about badges or whether they drive an American car. Who will it be?

they've said this will be a niche, limited production model. Since its auto only, I think only old guys with money to burn and a love for fast "American" iron will buy this. Its more of a "see we do have a sporty car" thing than anything else.

they've said this will be a niche, limited production model. Since its auto only, I think only old guys with money to burn and a love for fast "American" iron will buy this. Its more of a "see we do have a sporty car" thing than anything else.

What kind of joke idea is that? I mean I know that this has been the driving force behind the return of the Zeta sedan to the US, but if that's the case, why is it so fucking boring? This car should be competing in the family sedan market with a V6 option and the sporty version should be more aggressive-looking. Without making sure that the model can support itself, why try to use it as a marketing tool if it doesn't even excite buyers?

What kind of joke idea is that? I mean I know that this has been the driving force behind the return of the Zeta sedan to the US, but if that's the case, why is it so fucking boring? This car should be competing in the family sedan market with a V6 option and the sporty version should be more aggressive-looking. Without making sure that the model can support itself, why try to use it as a marketing tool if it doesn't even excite buyers?

wasn't the g8 available there with a v6 and the GXP had a manual available?

If you think about it, it would step on Malibu and Impala's toes if they tried to bring it down market into the mid-size sedan and (mainstream) full-size sedan segments.

I do agree that it looks like a snooze mobile. They should have had one on hand in a more exciting color than silver....it isn't flattering at all.

wasn't the g8 available there with a v6 and the GXP had a manual available?

Yes to both IIRC. However Pontiac wasn't exactly on mainstream radars...I mean it was but wasn't...hard to explain.

Since this is technically a new car...I suspect GM would have to federalize the powertrains again...the predicted stick take rate might not have made this feasible....although I think that's kinda bullshit for a "limited production" flagship aimed at performance.

Last edited:
93Flareside said:
Honestly, you think the CTS looks better? Are you feeling ok?
:lol: At least the CTS looks like something. Not like a bland overgrown Camry, like this "SS".

What kind of joke idea is that?
It's a GM idea, so 9 times out of 10 it's a joke idea. They should just call this an Impala, offer a full range of interior and drivetrain options and kill that stretched Epsilon thing.

They should just call this an Impala, offer a full range of interior and drivetrain options and kill that stretched Epsilon thing.

The only advantage to badging this the SS is that it might, just might, be the first Chevy in oik's years (Vette excepted) to not attract the retards who form the exclusive population of Impala drivers.

Doesn't the camaro and corvette fill that sporty car thing? Maybe you mean a sporty sedan?

not quite sure why they also picked such an awful colour to do the photo's in

The rear clip is nice and tight, the side profile is generic but fine. Howver, that front end looks like something off of a late-ninties generic American family sedan. Flabby, anodyne and boring. Given the rear wheel drive, anticipated mid-40s pricing and bizarrely retrograde styling, this is going to be a very niche car. ~95% of guys (and it will be guys in this market) are just going to get the Camaro SS and call it a day.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I like it, I could easily mistake it for a run-of-the-mill V6 sedan. Something like a 300 or Charger on the other hand, even though available with V6's (which is mostly what they sell in) just have that V8 rear-wheel-drive look to them. Which is what I think this new SS is lacking.

*laughs* You think this is going to change the Corvette buyers mind?

I'm not sure if I like it, I could easily mistake it for a run-of-the-mill V6 sedan. Something like a 300 or Charger on the other hand, even though available with V6's (which is mostly what they sell in) just have that V8 rear-wheel-drive look to them. Which is what I think this new SS is lacking.
:stupid:
Totally agree. The current gen 300s have a real presence to them, especially in V8 trim with the 20' rims filling those massive wheel arches. The interiors seem much nicer, too (where's Rick?!?).

This is just "meh" to me (in Impala form), and that CUE in-dash screen is absolutely revolting.

Doesn't the camaro and corvette fill that sporty car thing? Maybe you mean a sporty sedan?

Right, sporty sedan. It's something they mentioned in PR about the SS.

*laughs* You think this is going to change the Corvette buyers mind?

Never was intended to change, think of this as a compliment. Older gent buys a Corvette for himself, then a SS for him and the Mrs.

:stupid:
Totally agree. The current gen 300s have a real presence to them, especially in V8 trim with the 20' rims filling those massive wheel arches. The interiors seem much nicer, too (where's Rick?!?).

This is just "meh" to me (in Impala form), and that CUE in-dash screen is absolutely revolting.

You rang? :p

Hell, I saw a previous gen 300C in my school lot the other day. Freshly washed, non carbaged, and it still looks fresh and purposeful in a way no other full-sizer does ATM. It did help that it wasn't one in stereotypical black or silver, this was "dark titanium metallic" or something.

I was in a current 300 at the auto show and both the exterior and the interior are impressively done, particularly in the Luxury Series model. I'd have to sit in a SS to be certain but this appears to be on par with the 300.

To be fair, CUE is exclusive to Cadillac. This and the rest of the GM portfolio (save for legacy models like the full-size trucks, some stuff overseas, etc.) uses GM MyLink/IntelliLink. They retain hard buttons and knobs in addition to the touch screen and since it's a less capable system than CUE, it's actually not shitty to operate.

Visually though, both CUE and MyLink/IntelliLink are just ugly. Ugly font, ugly graphics. I'd put it one step above Toyota's "Display Audio" systems astheticly but that's not saying much.

Ford, Kia/Hyundai and Chrysler all have systems that are more visually pleasing in appearance.

EDIT: I needed to put these side by side to compare:

Of course, GM US decided to make the photo all dark and mysterious, but the interior seems largely unchanged from the Australian model.

Exterior:
2014chevroletssdaytona-017.jpg

Honestly...i think it's the cheap looking matte black plastic and cheap chrome wheels that's the issue. The glossy plastic on the Holden adds some much needed "pop" visually.

This is the same criticism leveled at the modern Pontiac GTO..that it's bland. Maybe it's a case of "grass is greener" longing sort of deal, as the cars don't look much different from their Australian counterparts beyond some detail changes.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is they're creating this new "Chevrolet SS" which is going to be a V8 rear-wheel-drive sedan, yet the 2014 all-new Impala is going to be.........the V6 sedan? I don't really understand. They should have just done up the upcoming Impala with an SS model and made it look like this:

94-96_Chevrolet_Impala_SS.jpg

Wishful thinking I guess, it seems GM's vehicles are created more by focus groups nowadays, which I think is making their overall styling lately be pretty.....brutish. But coming from someone that owns an H2, I'm in no position to talk.:lol:

What I don't understand is they're creating this new "Chevrolet SS" which is going to be a V8 rear-wheel-drive sedan, yet the 2014 all-new Impala is going to be.........the V6 sedan? I don't really understand. They should have just done up the upcoming Impala with an SS model and made it look like this:

94-96_Chevrolet_Impala_SS.jpg

Wishful thinking I guess, it seems GM's vehicles are created more by focus groups nowadays, which I think is making their overall styling lately be pretty.....brutish. But coming from someone that owns an H2, I'm in no position to talk.:lol:

The all new impala will be primarily 4 cylinder powered. There's actually two 4 bangers scheduled to be available, the 2.5 in the ats and malibu and the eAssist model. A V6 will of course be avalable as well.

I think they should have just made this the Impala and give 300 some real competition. Throw in a 4 banger to get the efficiency...maybe even source a diesel.

They tried spicing up the last Impala with a SS model...that didn't turn out so well. Old SS customers/general enthusiasts were completely turned off by the whole FWD thing.

Last edited: