Unveiled: 2014 Citroen C4 Cactus

So, auto jornos driving it reports that the door bubbles are actually soft (so no worry for dings at the supermarket car park). And I was wondering how that glove box worked with the airbag. Turns out they put the airbag in the roof. I like this weirdness more and more.

So, auto jornos driving it reports that the door bubbles are actually soft (so no worry for dings at the supermarket car park). And I was wondering how that glove box worked with the airbag. Turns out they put the airbag in the roof. I like this weirdness more and more.

Presumably they're a gel of some sort, because if they're air I'm going to make it my personal mission to go around popping them with a screwdriver. Airbag in the roof is interesting, that'll have to be a big bag and it has to inflate a massive amount to be in the right position.

Edit: I stumbled across this, apparently they are air. I'll get the screwdriver...

Last edited:
I'm going to make it my personal mission to go around popping them with a screwdriver.

Will that be on your "keying cars" trip, your "smashing windows" trip, or your "stealing wheelcovers" trip? :|

Also, I'm pretty sure they're not "filled" with air, so good luck popping them. They appear to get their spring from some kind of rubbery/urethane membrane underneath the cover.

Last edited:
Will that be on your "keying cars" trip, your "smashing windows" trip, or your "stealing wheelcovers" trip? :|

It'll be a tangent from my obligatory murdering trip that comes with being a Discovery driver. :p

I don't key or smash, and in most cases stealing wheel covers would improve the looks by exposing awesome steelies.

That is awesome and funky. Do want

That is delightfully peculiar, look at that handbrake lever!

It's like we're going back to the days of square tail lights and when cars were half covered by grey plastic bumpers that fade. I don't doubt that this will look like shit after a few years in a sunny climate.
:dunno: It's not like we don't have grey plastic bits on cars these days. Volvo XC70 and Audi Allroad to name two that's been sold over the last decade and a half. Not to mention countless vans, big and small. Why would the plastics on the Cactus be any different?

And the 'bubbles' will go funny.

Time will tell. You'd hope they got that under control.

I like this thing, push-button gearbox and all.

Noticed today that the thing weighs 965 kg and does something to the tune of 3,5l/100km combined with the diesel engine. It might be surpassing the Duster as the go-to car on the market right now, except that the one-piece rear seat (no split-fold, just fold) is something close to a dealkiller.

I don't really see the duster as any kind of "go-to car", at least not around these parts. Dacia is sold by a big and reputable dealer that shouldn't have any problem attracting customers, but I've only seen a handful of Dusters on the road.

I've driven one, can confirm, wouldn't want one. I'd rather spend the money on an used Qashqai and I can't beleive I just said that.

looks more upscale and like it's missing the airbumps

Very disappointing. Israelis bought a shitton of these when they were more fun-looking. They also bought a lot of C4s. I don't know if the C4 buyers will look to this, and I'm also not sure they'll pick Peugeots or Opels if they want something more straight-laced.