Jalopnik: 2014 Corvette Revealed!

I think the most important question here, the one that nobody seems to have dared to ask is: does it come with machine guns?

This is an all-American car built by fat men in Kentucky. If you don't already have machine guns, they will be provided.

Not if all of them come by at full throttle while your eyes are closed. :D
Yes, apart from the fact that they are all sports cars with four wheels, an engine in the front and colored red they don't have that much in common to be honest...

Corviper-ish front aside I think it has it's own (agressive) character, although I'm surprised that they have removed the characteristic rear glass canopy that Corvettes have had since 1978. That said, there is nothing wrong with the front end, the Viper is fantastically aggressive, and this just adds some more.

Here's something interesting though, out of the four cars on gman's picture, the Corvette is by a huge margin the cheapest one. MSRP of the current Corvette is $49'000 (the C7 will probably not be too much more than that), the Viper starts at almost twice that, at $97'000, the Lexus LFA is a ridiculous $375'000. Interestingly the Nissan GTR, often touted as the "budget performance" car cost give or take, as much as the Viper...

If you want to compare prices, you have to look at the Z06 and ZR1, which are $75k and $112k, respectively. Those are the builds that are most like the Viper.

This looks good inside and out, just as long as I don't have to see the rear end.

If you think about it, that's a positive selling point, because as an owner, you won't be looking at the rear end of your own car while driving, and when you're driving, anyone who is driving a car slower than yours will see your rear tailights and be visually punished for it. This kind of punishment and pain will help establish your dominance on the road.

I've just been driving it in Gran Turismo (handles well, sounds great and powerslides like a dream :D) and although I wasn't sure when I first saw the pictures, within about 5 laps I was completely sold on the rear end design.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I now really like it!

I think this car looks great. I'm enjoying some of the Europeans in comments over on topgear.com tie themselves into logic knots trying to hate this car.

I like it too. Looks much more badass than previous ones.

2014:

1994:

:lol:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not head over heels with the styling, but I don't have any major gripes about it, so long as it can still humiliate cars that cost way more that's fine with me. I wonder what will happen with the ZR1 and Z06 versions, maybe drop the LSA (or an LSA like version of the LT1) into the Z06 and a new twin turbo version for the ZR1?

I'm not head over heels with the styling, but I don't have any major gripes about it, so long as it can still humiliate cars that cost way more that's fine with me. I wonder what will happen with the ZR1 and Z06 versions, maybe drop the LSA (or an LSA like version of the LT1) into the Z06 and a new twin turbo supercharged version for the ZR1?

I don't think the USA is ready for a turbo ZR1 just yet. The Corvette is too much of an icon to choose something associated with ricers/JDM/Euro cars instead of the American-as-apple-pie supercharger.

I don't think the USA is ready for a turbo ZR1 just yet. The Corvette is too much of an icon to choose something associated with ricers/JDM/Euro cars instead of the American-as-apple-pie supercharger.

How can you comment like that if you don't live in the US?

I'm sorry, but we are definitely ready for a turbo Corvette. In fact, we NEED a turbo Corvette. Preferably with AWD.

For the Corvette to be a resounding success it needs to shake the 60 year old buyer stigma.

How can you comment like that if you don't live in the US?

I'm sorry, but we are definitely ready for a turbo Corvette. In fact, we NEED a turbo Corvette. Preferably with AWD.

For the Corvette to be a resounding success it needs to shake the 60 year old buyer stigma.

That means I should only comment on what's happening in Brazil? :rolleyes:

Just see the whining because "It's not a Corvette! No round tailights and a Camaro rear!" or "Way to milk a name using Stingray in the base model" and I can see a "WTF? The LS9 was much better than this wannabe-ricer turbocharged aberration!".

Considering the number of Buick's currently being built with turbo engines, I don't think idea of a twin turbo Vette that far fetched at all. I believe GM went with the supercharger over a turbo setup for the LS9 because of packaging and cost, with the blower everything is relatively cheap and totally self contained, which has allowed it to be placed into quite a few different cars with minimal modification. With a turbo setup they'd have to deal with mounting, running the piping, intercoolers, ect ect for each car instead of just dropping it in like in the Camaro and CTS-V.

Odds are GM will just bolt the current (or a slightly revised version) Eaton onto the LT1 and turn up the wick a bit to around 650hp. But then what happens with the Z06? Unless GM has a 500+ NA version waiting in the wings (which is very possible, but I doubt it would be 7.0l like the LS7 was), I don't know what they could do to make all three versions of the car significantly different from each other.

P.S. I still hate that they're calling the new engine an LT1, they should have just stuck with LS.

Last edited:
2014 Corvette Revealed!

P.S. I still hate that they're calling the new engine an LT1, they should have just stuck with LS.

I agree that it should have been called something else. That's three generations of small block that have the LT1 name. Not confusing at all... :roll:

I agree that it should have been called something else. That's three generations of small block that have the LT1 name. Not confusing at all... :roll:

Yeah, and one of them sucked on top of it.