2014 engines unveiled

Bretton Woods

Renault unveiled their 2014 turbocharged V6 today.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/6/14690.html
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/06/21/renault-reveals-2014-f1-engine/
1371813420.jpg

I have to say, the intercooler piping is beautiful. I'm also intruiged by the dual intake turbocharger, I haven't seen one before.

Looks like a damn space ship!

Honestly I wanted to hear it, not see it, it's gonna be hidden anyway... I do care about the tune

Looks like a damn space ship!

Honestly I wanted to hear it, not see it, it's gonna be hidden anyway... I do care about the tune

Renault has released an audio clip of the sound from its 2014 Formula 1 engine.

The noise that the new turbocharged 'green' engines will make has been a hot topic ahead of the introduction of the new rules.

F1 commercial chief Bernie Ecclestone has argued that the 2014 engines will be too quiet for F1 and will harm the sport's spectacle.

But Renault engine chief Rob White said the turbo noise would be different, but still impressive.

http://www.renaultsport.com/Come-on-feel-the-noise,2630.html?lang=en

Your wish is my command:

EDIT: Haha beat me to it...

Urgh, every gear is an anti-climax. Like I'm anticipating the other 6k RPM and it just doesn't come.
I hate it.

I like it quite a lot. It has more of a gritty sound to it instead of sounding like a chainsaw on steroids.

It's not too bad, but the sound of when it drives by on TV/on the track as a spectator might be quite different.

Can't say I'm a fan of the sound. Don't get me wrong, it would sound amazing in a GT or LMP class car, but F1 is about revs. Even the 80's turbos had a more high pitched scream.

Also, I don't see any intercooler piping like OP was talking about? I see compressor's twin exhaust inlets, one air inlet, one air outlet which will lead to the intercooler and one air inlet which will lead from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Am I missing something entirely?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little surprised they didn't reverse the intake and exhaust ports on the heads to reduce charge piping length but I supposed these engines are more about high RPM power than charge efficiency. I wonder at what RPM they idle? Probably around 3,000... I can't wait to see cars bog on the starting grid and have to relaunch to avoid turbo lag! (Assuming the FIA won't allow a launch control that will use the brakes to build boost? Have they announced that yet?)

Wow that's a sucky sound... It really doesn't sound like an F1 engine... And for the first time in a very long time I hear of something Bernie says and actually agree with him.

Can't say I'm a fan of the sound. Don't get me wrong, it would sound amazing in a GT or LMP class car, but F1 is about revs. Even the 80's turbos had a more high pitched scream.

Also, I don't see any intercooler piping like OP was talking about? I see compressor's twin exhaust inlets, one air inlet, one air outlet which will lead to the intercooler and one air inlet which will lead from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Am I missing something entirely?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little surprised they didn't reverse the intake and exhaust ports on the heads to reduce charge piping length but I supposed these engines are more about high RPM power than charge efficiency. I wonder at what RPM they idle? Probably around 3,000... I can't wait to see cars bog on the starting grid and have to relaunch to avoid turbo lag! (Assuming the FIA won't allow a launch control that will use the brakes to build boost? Have they announced that yet?)

Checkout the F1 website. I tried to give a direct link, but it seems they like their copyright protection.

Love all the boosting sound, pity about the screaming revs.

Don't like the sound. Will be another one of those things I'll have to "get used to". Like ridiculously wide front wings, ridiculously high and narrow rear wings, steppy noses, etc. I do sometimes wonder if these fucklords even consider their future fans, those who nowadays are children and should be wowed by F1.
Instead, my little godson's only exposure to F1 was the 'bad guy' at Cars 2.

He knew what was coming.

I wonder how tiny the back ends of the new cars are going to be. The Williams ass was not exactly to begin with and now with a much smaller engine and only one intercooler? idk guys...

I wonder how tiny the back ends of the new cars are going to be. The Williams ass was not exactly to begin with and now with a much smaller engine and only one intercooler? idk guys...

Remember also that now that playing with the exhaust is off limits, the only way to get a decent flow over the diffuser is to move bodywork out of the way. Also, expect some weird rear suspension options.

Not a big fan of the sound so far but it doesn't really seem that the engine is being run in anger. Looking forward to the new engines next year, just a pity that they haven't made as much of an effort to move away from aero to mechanical grip!

Ah well, there's always classic F1 season reviews

I am sure some people will be nostalgic for the sound of engines from previous eras, including the preceding V8, but the sound of the new generation Power Units is just different. It?s like asking whether you like Motorhead or AC/DC. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. Both in concert are still pretty loud.??

Fuck that shit, i want FUCKING SLAYER!

edit. Yeah, not a fan of the noise, might be different with the full grid blasting away from the starting line though..