2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
So it's Anderson out, McNish in for the BBC. Makes no sense to replace an engineer with another driver who in reality knows little about how an F1 car works, but hey.

GraemeH

Car(s)
Toyota Corolla, Lexus IS200, BMW E39 5 Series.
Gary Anderson didn't know much about how an F1 car works... he just drunkenly mumbled some shit that every F1 fan knows. "This is what the 'rake' of a car is!" "Softer tyres move around more!"

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
Gary Anderson didn't know much about how an F1 car works... he just drunkenly mumbled some shit that every F1 fan knows. "This is what the 'rake' of a car is!" "Softer tyres move around more!"
I didn't know that all fans have a degree in mechanical engineering and senior F1 design experience.

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
So it's Anderson out, McNish in for the BBC. Makes no sense to replace an engineer with another driver who in reality knows little about how an F1 car works, but hey.
McNish isn't replacing Anderson in the commentary squad, he'll be in the 5Live booth with James Allen in the "driver expert" role.

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
McNish isn't replacing Anderson in the commentary squad, he'll be in the 5Live booth with James Allen in the "driver expert" role.
Ah. It was simply something I saw on Twitter. It didn't say the specific role he would have. :) He's a decent commentator.

GraemeH

Car(s)
Toyota Corolla, Lexus IS200, BMW E39 5 Series.
It's interesting that his job title seems to be "racing director", and not "Team Principle".
Is that because they plan on giving that title to someone else (or even leaving it to Whitmarsh), or is Ron just wanting it to be clear that Boullier's authority is limited and that he (Ron) is the boss everywhere else?

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Nah, Anderson's descriptions are famous among F1 engineers for being hilariously wrong.
What I find much more interesting is that he could not write a nice-to-read sentence if his life depended on it, as is evident through his new job as an Autosport columnist.

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
What I find much more interesting is that he could not write a nice-to-read sentence if his life depended on it, as is evident through his new job as an Autosport columnist.
That's a typical engineer characteristic. ;)

ALXBWSCREW

Car(s)
Fiat Barchetta, Alfa Romeo 156, Opel Zafira
Nah, Anderson's descriptions are famous among F1 engineers for being hilariously wrong.
Yeah, some of the stuff he talks about/predicts is way off. But I didn't know even his peers mock him :lol:.

lukenwolf

Car(s)
Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 16V, dedicated ring toy
It's interesting that his job title seems to be "racing director", and not "Team Principle".
Is that because they plan on giving that title to someone else (or even leaving it to Whitmarsh), or is Ron just wanting it to be clear that Boullier's authority is limited and that he (Ron) is the boss everywhere else?
I'd chalk that up as Ronspeak. After he de-employerized Whitmarsh (courtesy of Sniffpetrol) he needed to change things. In essence Boullier will probably do the same job as Whitmarsh.

Electric-Mayhem

Car(s)
Subaru WRX Wagon, Toyota Pickup Rock Crawler
... or they are waiting till someone comes off his sabbatical to make HIM Team Principal and Boullier will be filling his role till that happens. Not sure what it is about the dude, but I've always gotten a "slimey" feeling from Eric Boullier during interviews so I wouldn't be thrilled to see him at Mclaren in the lead role. I guess we will see how it goes.

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
... or they are waiting till someone comes off his sabbatical to make HIM Team Principal and Boullier will be filling his role till that happens. Not sure what it is about the dude, but I've always gotten a "slimey" feeling from Eric Boullier during interviews so I wouldn't be thrilled to see him at Mclaren in the lead role. I guess we will see how it goes.
According to the press release, Bouiller will be reporting to a higher-up who has not yet been decided (that position is filled temporarily by Jonathan Neale), and that higher-up will be reporting straight to Ron. Rumours are that the higher-up will be another person hired from the outside, perhaps even... Ross Brawn. :lol:

ahpadt

Forum Addict
DONOR
According to the press release, Bouiller will be reporting to a higher-up who has not yet been decided (that position is filled temporarily by Jonathan Neale), and that higher-up will be reporting straight to Ron. Rumours are that the higher-up will be another person hired from the outside, perhaps even... Ross Brawn. :lol:
...who denied it :p

http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/video/