2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

based on testing, i'm starting to fear melbourne may be a boring safety car procession.
i hope, when someone breaks down, he does so outside the track limits.
if the safety car will have to come out for every car that broke down, there won't be a lot of racing! :(

I think it won't be that bad, in testing all the teams requested that no one touches the cars until they show up. So it took forever to get a broken car out of the way and continue testing.

I think it won't be that bad, in testing all the teams requested that no one touches the cars until they show up. So it took forever to get a broken car out of the way and continue testing.

...and rightly so. The batteries store pretty potent amounts of charge now.

...and rightly so. The batteries store pretty potent amounts of charge now.

That's what the new ERS warning LED's under the airbox are for.

Yes, but they have to be tested and validated thoroughly before you let someone near it.

What do you mean by that? The light is there to indicate to marshals/mechanics or whoever, if it's safe to touch the car or not. I though it was designed to facilitate the quick removal of the cars.

What do you mean by that? The light is there to indicate to marshals/mechanics or whoever, if it's safe to touch the car or not. I though it was designed to facilitate the quick removal of the cars.

Yes, but they have to test whether the car actually IS safe when the light indicates that its supposed to be safe. If you made the assumption that it worked from the beginning, a marshal could potentially get a giant electric shock.

Yes, but they have to test whether the car actually IS safe when the light indicates that its supposed to be safe. If you made the assumption that it worked from the beginning, a marshal could potentially get a giant electric shock.

So there's no point in the light, then, since they treat it the same way whether the light is on or off... They could have saved themselves the cost of a bulb.

Well, the light could point to the fact that there's no critical systems leaking, or that the battery is safe to touch, etc. It never hurts to be careful.

So there's no point in the light, then, since they treat it the same way whether the light is on or off... They could have saved themselves the cost of a bulb.

Uh, no? Once it's been tested and verified it will be a good way to provide confidence to the marshals that a vehicle is safe to handle.

Well, the light could point to the fact that there's no critical systems leaking, or that the battery is safe to touch, etc. It never hurts to be careful.

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting the light shouldn't be there. I'm more implying that by this point, the engineers should have made certain enough that its reporting is accurate that they wouldn't still need to act as if the light wasn't there at all. If you have to pretend the light isn't there to be safe, then the light isn't doing its job, which it ought to by this point, being a safety system. Just like no team would be allowed to turn up with a non-crash tested monocoque.

Yeah I know what you mean.. But for us engineers, the general motto is: "2x2 = 5. Just in case."

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting the light shouldn't be there. I'm more implying that by this point, the engineers should have made certain enough that its reporting is accurate that they wouldn't still need to act as if the light wasn't there at all. If you have to pretend the light isn't there to be safe, then the light isn't doing its job, which it ought to by this point, being a safety system. Just like no team would be allowed to turn up with a non-crash tested monocoque.

i think engineers were more making sure the PU was actually working before caring about the stupid light. and the light is a safety system, should be tested the hardest of them all, and you can't do that in a lab without any of the systems running...

Red Bull asks Toro Rosso for help said:
Red Bull's early-season technical crisis is plumbing new depths, with news the reigning world champions are calling upon junior team Toro Rosso for help.

Italy's authoritative Autosprint reports that Red Bull has asked the Faenza based sister team for assistance on the all-new 'brake by wire' technology, which is tied in with the highly-sophisticated 'ERS' systems.

"The fact that Red Bull wants to use someone else's (system) says a lot about the size of Red Bull's other problems," said veteran correspondent Alberto Antonini.

One of those bigger problems is with extreme "turbo lag", Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko admits.

"You step on the gas," he told Austrian television Servus TV, "but the power comes all of a sudden, the wheels spin, the car slides and you lose speed.

"We are working with Renault on the test benches day and night to improve the situation for Melbourne," added Marko.
World champion Sebastian Vettel, however, is expecting to struggle next weekend.

"If half the drivers fail to finish, then maybe we could take a few points," he said.
"At the moment we have bigger problems to solve than just the pace."

http://www.f1zone.net/news/red-bull-asks-toro-rosso-for-help/28713/

:D

In case anyone forgot, Williams will be revealing their livery and major sponsors (if all the rumours are to be believed, Martini) tomorrow at an event in London.

In case anyone forgot, Williams will be revealing their livery and major sponsors (if all the rumours are to be believed, Martini) tomorrow at an event in London.

Williams is freaking fast this season. Some say the fastest after the works Merc. I'd love to see Frank finally have one good season after all the misery from last year.

I'll believe the Williams rumours once they finish in the top 5 in Melbourne.

kms-050314.jpg

Better to come across reliability issues during testing than during the races.