2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

F1-evolution.png

I'm not getting it? Crappy grooved tyres have gone, and the wings are narrower now, as well as daft noses?

Idk, to me it illustrates perfectly just how design has gone totally backwards. Before they were hunkered down racing cars and now they're just things with stupid noses and barstools for rear wings.

Also those grooved tyres were a bid to lower grip cos the cars were getting too fast, and even with them, they were 5 seconds a lap faster than the new ones. Now imagine giving them slicks.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Schumachers 2004 Ferrari with DRS and slicks.

I'd love to see Schumachers 2004 Ferrari with DRS and slicks.
I think you can see it on slicks in the Corse Clienti programme run by Ferrari for ultra rich fat customers. Driven galaxies away from its performance potential, that is.

Yes they are, but am I the only one that remembers how much of a borefest the racing was 10 years ago?

Schumacher/Ferrari dominating for 5 years. 10 maybe 20 overtakes per year?

I do miss refuelling and tyre wars though as well as drivers pushing to the limit just lap after lap.

But the racing is still so much better in the last 3 years then it has been since I've watched F1 (20 years or so).

And yes I don't like the sounds of the new engine. But I do like turbo whistles, tyres screeching, the radio with driver/engineer being clear as day, and that Red Bull are on zero points after the first race isn't bad either. This podium was the first one I think without Hamilton/ Vettel/ Alonso featuring. Thats pretty cool to me.

I think this season is going to be awesome and all over the show. Just enjoy it and stop moaning for once in your life. If you don't like F1, well there is a shit tonne of other kinds of racing out there to choose from. Go watch it.

Why can't we have the more exciting racing AND the sexy cars?

Last edited:
I honestly think that a lot of the issues people are having with the sound may be remedied by changing how they do the mics for the TV broadcast. It seems to be allright to me during the onboard videos, but most of the nuance goes away for the long distance stuff. Maybe put the audio stuff closer to the track, have it be more directional, or maybe its just as simple as cranking up the gain a bit. Its clear they are much quieter then they were, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing if they do it right.

Also, we are one race in to the season, so the Jury certainly isn't out IMHO. Nearly every person that the Sky Sports crew talked to mentioned it in the negative, so I think everyone will be doing what they can to crank up the volume level.

I'll admit being a bit pleased to see Vettel retire. I don't have any ill will towards the guy, but its time to let some other people win for a while. He can come back later in the season and dominate again. Its much cooler to see that happen mid to late season. I want it to be like a few years ago where a bunch of dudes were fighting for the championship even through the last race. The more the merrier, and the more varied the podiums and race winners the better IMHO. The playing field has been leveled and that means even rookies and midfield/backmarker teams can get in on the action if they play their cards right.

I went from skipping races and only watching highlights for the last half of last season to being truly excited for the season now. There is a lot to like about this whole mixup, so I would say get over all the nit picking and just come along for the ride.

Why can't we have the more exciting racing AND the sexy cars?

The sexy cars had low rear wings and narrower front wings so they had really bad air coming of them and made following closely pretty much impossible. And grooved tyres gave them less grip so it made it harder as well.

And safety of course was less, I don't want to say important, but it wasn't so serious as it is now.

But goddamn these noses are ugly. Shame it's gone to this level of stupidity. Was it last year the vanity panel came in to help make the noses look better again? You'd have thought that whoever decided these things realised that they're going to be terrible and just made the rules to make sure the noses were more like 2011 spec. Or just write the rules better. That Ferrari is just nasty. No offence Ferrari fans, but ugliest one to date? Not that any of these cars are pretty, just that one takes the cake for me.

I've heard the V12's 10s and 8s. And the 12s were just beautiful. The 10s were also pretty amazing. But I really didn't like the v8s. Especially the blown diffuser era to. I hope I will get to hear these v6's sometime soon. Missed Melbourne this year. But maybe I can get a sneaky trip to Japan or Singapore...

looks like i'm alone in this, but i like the current rear wings a lot more than those ironing boards they had back then!

No offence Ferrari fans, but ugliest one to date? Not that any of these cars are pretty, just that one takes the cake for me.

Admittedly it's not the prettiest on the field but at least it hasn't got a sex aide on the front. If the nose didn't dip down so fast it would probably be a very good looking car.

The sexy cars had low rear wings and narrower front wings so they had really bad air coming of them and made following closely pretty much impossible. And grooved tyres gave them less grip so it made it harder as well.

In my opinion, it is still too hard to overtake if you take away DRS and KERS, which could be fitted to those cars no problem. It really seems like the advantages of the low noses and bar stool rear wings is almost nill. Ask Alonso.

And safety of course was less, I don't want to say important, but it wasn't so serious as it is now.

My memory might be failing me but the worst incidents in recent years have been with the new Formula, Massa in 2009, Perez in Monaco, and Maria de Villota in testing (probably nothing to do with the newer cars but it still happened).

Admittedly it's not the prettiest on the field but at least it hasn't got a sex aide on the front. If the nose didn't dip down so fast it would probably be a very good looking car.

And Lotus even thought about it all, making a kinky dual-threat nose for the more adventurous ladies!

Last edited:
Alonso did not have the pace to do more than that, the Ferrari is not that good. It was very close with Hulkenberg.

looks like i'm alone in this, but i like the current rear wings a lot more than those ironing boards they had back then!

You're not. Besides, looks are just looks, i like that we've finally got some real noticable difference in car shapes, and not just a different livery. These cars are the best shapes following this set of rules, so as long as they're quick I don't really care what they look like, since it's not ugly, it's purposeful. It isn't a beauty contest

Sound though, needs to be adressed

Alonso did not have the pace to do more than that, the Ferrari is not that good. It was very close with Hulkenberg.

Lel. Ask him about the final race of 2010.
Ask anyone else who's followed so close and hasn't had a chance without DRS
And then go look at compilations of the best overtakes in F1 and realize many were done in that "borefest era".

Give me a break.

Lel. Ask him about the final race of 2010.
Ask anyone else who's followed so close and hasn't had a chance without DRS
And then go look at compilations of the best overtakes in F1 and realize many were done in that "borefest era".

Give me a break.

Dude, I was talking about the 2014 AUS GP. Also, he had more than one DRS shot at Petrov and still didn't get past. And if you think the V10 era was overtaking galore then you really haven't watched that much F1. Also, complilations like that are made by people who haven't even heard of people like Jim Clark or Albero Ascari and Gilles Villneuve.

Anyway, I rest my case, I'm tired of trying to defend the new formula but it would be better if fans had a more objective opinion of the past, beyond the usual "OMG it was a V10 it sounds amazing the racing was all wheel to wheel at the limit all of the time" which of course is not the case. Everyone has the right to an opinion, be it right or not, I for one really like what we've got at the moment.

Last edited:
Dude, I was talking about the 2014 AUS GP. Also, he had more than one DRS shot at Petrov and still didn't get past. And if you think the V10 era was overtaking galore then you really haven't watched that much F1. Also, complilations like that are made by people who haven't even heard of people like Jim Clark or Albero Ascari and Gilles Villneuve.

I think it's widely recognized that overtaking was better before DRS. It was rare but that's what made it special, you had to outsmart and outmaneuver your opponent. Nowadays, majority of overtaking is comprised of waiting for the DRS zone and just cruising past your opponent.

Blah blah blah everything was better when we were younger blah blah