2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

What made it special was that you had to be one second per lap quicker than your opponent to get past. But that's not the point, I was not trying to defend DRS, I myself am not such a big fan of it.

Dude, I was talking about the 2014 AUS GP. Also, he had more than one DRS shot at Petrov and still didn't get past. And if you think the V10 era was overtaking galore then you really haven't watched that much F1. Also, complilations like that are made by people who haven't even heard of people like Jim Clark or Albero Ascari and Gilles Villneuve.

Anyway, I rest my case, I'm tired of trying to defend the new formula but it would be better if fans had a more objective opinion of the past, beyond the usual "OMG it was a V10 it sounds amazing the racing was all wheel to wheel at the limit all of the time" which of course is not the case. Everyone has the right to an opinion, be it right or not, I for one really like what we've got at the moment.

Ummm... unless I'm failing my F1 history, DRS did not exist in 2010, so how could Alonso have passed Petrov using it.

I'm reserving my opinion on the current set ups... On one hand, it's nice to see them not using the same engines as they have for the past 8 years, so there is some competition on that front, and its REALLY nice to see the field shaken up a little. I also like the fact that the cars have teeth now, and will bite the drivers if they don't behave. On the other... function REALLY followed form this year, 3 of the cars look barely OK (Ferrari, RBR, and Merc) in that the design at least makes sense within the guidelines, and the rest just look stupid. Also, while the new engines have a nice sound to them, they're too quiet.

I'll see how I feel about it when summer break hits, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Ummm... unless I'm failing my F1 history, DRS did not exist in 2010, so how could Alonso have passed Petrov using it.

I'm reserving my opinion on the current set ups... On one hand, it's nice to see them not using the same engines as they have for the past 8 years, so there is some competition on that front, and its REALLY nice to see the field shaken up a little. I also like the fact that the cars have teeth now, and will bite the drivers if they don't behave. On the other... function REALLY followed form this year, 3 of the cars look barely OK (Ferrari, RBR, and Merc) in that the design at least makes sense within the guidelines, and the rest just look stupid. Also, while the new engines have a nice sound to them, they're too quiet.

I'll see how I feel about it when summer break hits, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I pretty much agree with that..

Blah blah blah everything was better when we were younger blah blah

You know that something is wrong when young people say this...think about it...

So I found these kind of pinkish glasses that are showing me how great my childhood was even though I spent a fair amount of time crapping my pants; pretty cool right?

Webbo:
[video=youtube;zc7-BYXD2Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc7-BYXD2Ss[/video]

I honestly think that a lot of the issues people are having with the sound may be remedied by changing how they do the mics for the TV broadcast.

"Changing some mics" isn't going to remedy this:

"Waaah Waaah Waaah, everyone's opinion is different to mine, waaah waaah waaah." :rolleyes:

It's pretty clear to me that you've never gone to a Grand Prix because the noise is one of the most fantastic experiences for an F1 fan that attends the races. And they have ruined that experience, hence why I'm airing my concerns.

Last edited:

Says who? I have no idea what your qualifications are to make that judgement call, but I majorly disagree.

If they are using the same audio capture setup to capture these quieter cars as they were using for the last decade, then it isn't going to present things in a very good light. Just putting it through some good speakers/headphones and cranking the volume up goes a long towards making it better. It won't make a difference for the people at the track, but certainly will for the Broadcast.

Its all subjective anyways. You say it needs to be remedied, but in my mind, I actually don't mind the 2014 half of that video. As cool as the shrieking V8's are, it would lose its novelty 5 laps in and the rest of the race I'd be wearing my ear plugs as they went by. Granted, having never had the chance to experience it in person I could be wrong, but with that comparison video I would probably choose the 2014 side over a full race. You'll notice that most of the people in the first half of the video felt the need to wear ear muffs and no one was in the second. Not such a bad thing IMHO.

Dude, I was talking about the 2014 AUS GP. Also, he had more than one DRS shot at Petrov and still didn't get past. And if you think the V10 era was overtaking galore then you really haven't watched that much F1. Also, complilations like that are made by people who haven't even heard of people like Jim Clark or Albero Ascari and Gilles Villneuve.

And I was talking how the low noses and high rear wings did NOT improve overtaking until DRS was slapped in there. Can you do a little reading comprehension before you keep ranting?
Anyway, I rest my case, I'm tired of trying to defend the new formula but it would be better if fans had a more objective opinion of the past, beyond the usual "OMG it was a V10 it sounds amazing the racing was all wheel to wheel at the limit all of the time" which of course is not the case. Everyone has the right to an opinion, be it right or not, I for one really like what we've got at the moment.

Yes please do rest your case. This isn't the case of the "new formula". This is the case of Formula 1 int he past 6 frikken years which has been way too try-hard to get "new fans" in "new markets". Well, many of the established fans have been having issues with the changes for years, heck I've seen a friend of mine who went into aerospace engineering with hopes of getting to design in F1 quit watching the sport and steering his career somewhere else!

I'm merely saying that these huge changes are pissing off a lot of the existing fans, and at the same time, I don't see how they could be attracting new fans to the sport.

Time will tell if I'm right or wrong, I don't care to discuss it anymore. Let's get on with the season.

Granted, having never had the chance to experience it in person I could be wrong, but with that comparison video I would probably choose the 2014 side over a full race.

So basically you're never heard either engines in real life but you think you know better... got it.

I'm done beating a dead horse, it seems that the "experts" in this sub-forums - who have never heard an F1 car in real life - are all convinced that the 2014 cars sound fine... good for them.

:spectre:

Last edited:
yep...pretty much. :rolleyes:

So you've heard these new cars in person then too? Sounds like you have no more experience then I do.

Rofl just stop. You're like fucking Ken Ham, "well you see, there was a book".

When someone says the new engines are fine and has at least heard the previous ones, that's a rational opinion.

You're just spewing unfounded conjectures at this point.

In any case, I have no other choice (other than not going to the GP) but to give the new engines a chance. At this rate however, something WILL be done about the noise. Power numbers will inevitably increase within the following years and downforce as well when Newey does something silly ingenious again.

I have a very bad feeling that phallic noses are here to stay, however.

Last edited:
You're just spewing unfounded conjectures at this point.

That is all anyone is doing in this thread, including yourself.

I had to look the dude up, but if I'm sounding like a creationist wackjob then I guess I do need to stop...

...but this is the internet so I'll just keep going.

Sorry that I haven't managed to spend the thousands of dollars it takes to attend a race in North America and instead make my observations based on race coverage. I'm not one of the people who has just written F1 off after one race because they have heard its not the same look or noise level as before. I've never denied that the cars aren't quieter then they were, I'm just saying its not the end of the sport that many are saying it is.

I'm fully for giving it the benefit of the doubt and have just called into question some assumptions that people have made. If anything I'm the opposite of that Ken Ham guy due to my open minded acceptance of this new stuff the sport is going through and allowing the people who actually can change things some time to figure it out before condemning the sport.

The racing is still decent, the teams are still figuring the cars out and they will only get better. Meanwhile the rankings have been shuffled around and its anyone's guess on who will really come out ahead as that happens. Get over the fact that it sounds different and they don't look the same, and just enjoy other aspects of the racing and you might find that its not all that bad. In the meantime, I'm sure that FOM, the FIA, Race Organizers, and the Teams are all working hard to maintain the spectacle that is F1.

2013 - The mic was just overwhelmed. Giving the TV crews a bit more time to adapt from their past habits to the new sound may produce way better reproduction at future GPs.
2014 - I see a load of heads that don't use ear protectors any more. For some, that may be sacrilege... but you may also consider that an upside, making the sport more accessible to everyone.

And I was talking how the low noses and high rear wings did NOT improve overtaking until DRS was slapped in there. Can you do a little reading comprehension before you keep ranting?
I think in this talk I wasn't the one who was ranting, and sure as hell not the one who started it, I was just trying to make a point. But apparently that gets you neg-repped around here. That sure has got me told. Your case with overtaking in the V10 era still has no substance BTW.
Yes please do rest your case. This isn't the case of the "new formula". This is the case of Formula 1 int he past 6 frikken years which has been way too try-hard to get "new fans" in "new markets". Well, many of the established fans have been having issues with the changes for years, heck I've seen a friend of mine who went into aerospace engineering with hopes of getting to design in F1 quit watching the sport and steering his career somewhere else!

I'm merely saying that these huge changes are pissing off a lot of the existing fans, and at the same time, I don't see how they could be attracting new fans to the sport.

Time will tell if I'm right or wrong, I don't care to discuss it anymore. Let's get on with the season.
I agree with you here, and most of the fault lies with Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosely.

Last edited:
so...anyone ever did a study what's the relation between being a ferrari fan, and being a whiny bitch?

i think they're whiny bitches first, and because of that relate more to ferrari than any other team...

thoughts?

Are you really trying to score points and make yourself look good by taking the sound discussion into something that will once again have no correllation to the topic at hand? Really?

I heard the V8s in person back in 2007, when they were revving up to 19k. Covered grandstand on the start-finish line in Hungary that echoed like you wouldn't believe. The noise at the start was mindblowing, but on the subject of ear protection... I tried to watch the first Friday practice session without earplugs and my head hurt like hell after one hour.

HOWEVER...

I went to Le Mans last year. 56 cars on a rolling start - a continuous 30-second wall of noise as 30 thousand bhp flies past in succession, another mindblowing experience. But then you go to a place like Arnage, at night, and have an LMP1 Audi go by. The complete other extreme: it's like a UFO flies past you. A ghost in the night. Lack of ear-shattering noise can be awe-inspiring in itself, if coupled to mind-bending speed. That's why I'm going to give the new V6 engines a chance.

EDIT: Also I went through the whole week of Le Mans without much need for ear protection, the only problem with the noise was that it was loud enough to drown out Radio Le Mans in my headphones.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
^^^
Whs.
I've seen the V10's and the V8's live over the years and although they sound amazing in person, you only get a few minutes before you can't hear a thing and have to double up on the hearing protection.
I like the variety of sound that the new ones have and can't wait to hear them in the flesh.