2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

So if only Vettel has a real priority when it comes to numbers (i.e. #1), what will they do it multiple drivers want #2? Based on championship results the previous year?

So if only Vettel has a real priority when it comes to numbers (i.e. #1), what will they do it multiple drivers want #2? Based on championship results the previous year?

Drivers choose in championship order as far as I'm aware, also the FIA has told them to also submit a second and third choice. And Vettel will also have to pick a number first (for when he no longer runs #1).

Last edited:
Can zero return?
damon_hill___michael_schumacher__japan_1994__by_f1_history-d5ot52r.jpg

Last edited:
Nico Rosberg has requested #6 because his father Keke used it when he won the 1982 championship. And Perez wants #11 which he used in karting and his first season in GP2.

Or pick his own number that means something to him and not other people?
Kimi is a major Hunt fan, even using Hunt's name as a cover when violating his contract by going snowmobile racing. It would not be out of character for him to pick Hunt's number.

FIA has explicitly set the drivers the interval #2-#99, so #0 is out and #1 is reserved for the World Champion (should he choose to use it instead of his own number).

So... isn't mclaren getting a new livery next year? AFAIK 2013 was the last year with vodaphone, no?

If I'm correct that silver livery comes from the days with West? It was black and white and then tobacco sponsorship was banned, it became black and silver, with some red highlights, I guess for Vodafone, but it's still largely "not red" as Vodafone would probably have it.

If I'm correct that silver livery comes from the days with West? It was black and white and then tobacco sponsorship was banned, it became black and silver, with some red highlights, I guess for Vodafone, but it's still largely "not red" as Vodafone would probably have it.

Yeah, McLaren sees the silver as a base color now. The secondary color will depend on the title sponsor...

I thought they started silver when they picked up the Merc engines? I'd expect them to drop it for 2015 if that's the case.

I would love to see them go back to the red and white of the last v6 turbo McLaren-Honda (despite that livery being Marlboro).

McLaren_MP4-4_front-right_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaand that's the problem: Even without a cent of Phillp Morris money going to McLaren, that livery will violate tobacco advertisement guidelines. Tbh, I am surprised that Lotus got away with the JPS livery.