2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

In unrelated news, Lotus is going to skip the first pre-season test due to the car not being ready.

And engine builder Brian Hart died last weekend.

Edit: I'd love to call Lotus "Flotus" because they failed so hard, but that would make them Michelle Obama.

Last edited:
In unrelated news, Lotus is going to skip the first pre-season test due to the car not being ready.

And engine builder Brian Hart died last weekend.

Edit: I'd love to call Lotus "Flotus" because they failed so hard, but that would make them Michelle Obama.

if it was just the car, they would've come with last years' just to test the tires!
i think they can't afford it atm...

if it was just the car, they would've come with last years' just to test the tires!
Not sure about this - with the new car's drastically different aero, weight and general handling the use of tire data from running an old car probably is pretty limited.
i think they can't afford it atm...
But of course this might be true never the less.

Using old cars made sense within the scope of similar regulations (2009-2013). And even in 2009 they could run 2008 cars with usefull data, because the general layout of the cars didn't change that drastically.

With 2014 cars everything is different. Cars are shorter, the weight distribution is different, kers harvesting has a bigger effect on breaking... Not much usefull data will be gathered with a 2013 car.

Race numbers for 2014: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112089

# Driver Team/Car
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault
11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault
14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
17 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari
19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes
21 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari
22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
25 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault
26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault
27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
99 Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari

Max Chilton confirmed at Marussia but without a number, and no drivers at Caterham yet. Vettel will run the champion's #1 but has chosen #5 for when he is no longer reigning WDC.

EDIT: And yes, you read that right, Maldonado picked #13. :lol:

Last edited:
Jenson's father, John Button passed away.

Source: Autosport.com

John Button, the father of Formula 1 driver Jenson Button who enjoyed success in his own career in rallycross, has passed away. He was 70.

"It is with great sadness and regret that I can confirm John Button passed away at his home in the South of France on Sunday," Button's management team said in a statement.

"Whilst we await confirmation, initial signs would indicate a suspected heart attack. A close friend who was visiting John on Sunday was the first to discover the tragic news.

"John's children Jenson, Natasha, Samantha and Tanya and the rest of the family are clearly devastated and ask for their privacy to be respected during this extremely difficult time."

Having become a near ever-present during his son's grand prix career, John was a hugely popular figure in the F1 paddocks over the past 15 years.

John's passion for motor racing had been with him throughout his life, having competed successfully in rallycross during the 1970's.

He was a runner-up in the 1976 RAC British Rallycross Championship and famously competed in a VW Beetle that due to its striking colour scheme became known as a 'Colorado Beetle.'

It was natural for him to push his son Jenson - named after rallycross friend Erling Jensen - into motor racing when his own career ended, and John became a strong force in helping Jenson reach the very top.

John missed only a few of Jenson's F1 races but, as well as being his son's biggest fan, it was his enthusiasm for motor racing as a whole that really shone through.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh, who got to know John well since signing Jenson at the end of his title winning 2009 campaign, was one of the first to offer his condolences.

"In my long Formula 1 career, I've encountered many drivers' fathers, but I think it's safe to say that John was perhaps more devoted to his son than any of them," said Whitmarsh.

"Ever since Jenson was a boy, racing go-karts, his dad has been at his side, helping him, supporting him, finding the money for the next race.

"As Jenson grew older, and continued to win in cars, still John was always there, his most steadfast helper and supporter.

"And, even now, in recent years, during which Jenson has become the consummate Formula 1 world champion that he is, the most experienced driver on the Formula 1 grid in fact, still John has been ever-present, as loyal and as loving as ever, a benign and popular member of Jenson's small and intimate entourage.

"This coming season will be Jenson's fifth as a McLaren driver. I believe John has attended every grand prix over the past four seasons, and over that period he's become a unique and, I think it's fair to say, irreplaceable part of the McLaren 'family'.

"He was not only a great dad, but also a lovely man, and he'll be enormously missed by Jenson, of course, by all at McLaren, and indeed by the Formula 1 community at large.

"I'm sure that everyone at McLaren, and indeed everyone in Formula 1, will join me in sending our heartfelt condolences to Jenson, to the Button family, and to their many friends."

Sad for Button, but such is life, RIP John.

In other news, I thought Vettel had picked #5... is this for the "rest of his career" and is getting #1 for being champion? Cos I had sources saying he could forego the #1 if he wanted and race with the one he picked.

indeed, he choose number 5, but since he won last year, has the right to use number one, and since his number 5 hasn't got any commercial value yet, he opted to use the 1

I guess I like this number thing and then I don't like it. I enjoyed the "your number is based on last year" thing. It really meant more to see an Number 15 on the podium. Not that it matters but that's the way I saw it

I guess I like this number thing and then I don't like it. I enjoyed the "your number is based on last year" thing. It really meant more to see an Number 15 on the podium. Not that it matters but that's the way I saw it

actually, it didn't mean anything
the team that became WCC, got numbers 1 and 2, even if their drivers finished 2nd & 6th in the WDC
and if you're new to a team, it had even less value...

Last edited:
I like the numbers thing because it gives a value to the number. It was always just kind of 'there' before and I can't recall anyone actually caring.

actually, it didn't mean anything
the team that became WCC, got numbers 1 and 2, even if their drivers finished 2nd & 6th in the WDC
and if you're new to a team, it had even less value...

Negative, the driver's champion team got 1 and 2.
Example, 1994 Schumacher champion with Benetton, Williams WCC; 1995, Schumacher running car #1, champion again and this time Benetton also WCC; 1996 Schumacher transfers to Ferrari and brings the #1 with him, Ferrari runs the whole year with #1 and #2.

Also Ferrari is running a vote so the fans name the car for next season. Right now the favorite is "F14 T", pretty self explanatory, but the second most voted is the "F166 Turbo" ... I do not get why the second "6" there, anyone hazard a guess?

Last edited: