2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

That makes no sense though, you'd have to keep naming the cars like that until the engine regulations change again :lol:

Right now the favorite is "F14 T"

Pfft, when they tried to call their last car the F150, Ford threatened to sue - it'd be no less absurd for Grumman to take exception to that name :p

The excrement have finally collided with the rotating air cooling device for the toad from Suffolk. Ecclestone has be indicted in Germany and had to step down. He'll continue running the show, but "subject to increased monitoring by the board"

He's toast - finally!!

The excrement have finally collided with the rotating air cooling device for the toad from Suffolk. Ecclestone has be indicted in Germany and had to step down. He'll continue running the show, but "subject to increased monitoring by the board"

He's toast - finally!!

Sorry Lukenwolf, I'll believe it when he has on stripey pajamas. I'm starting to think the troll would survive nuclear annihilation along with cockroaches.

He's toast - finally!!
He isn't - the "increased monitoring" is just a smokescreen. What they did was "demoting" him without cutting his powers or his salary, only taking his title, thus calming the public without actually changing anything.

Bernie getting slapped down is sort of interesting, but the news that I thought was cooler in that was that McLaren is going to make Ross Brawn their new Team Principal. I think that will be a very good fit for all involved. It is kind of weird that Martin Whitmarsh has been kind of MIA in all of that though.

I'll be interested to see what role Ecclestone really ends up having for the future. Sounds like it could be none, but it also sounds like it could be just business as normal with a bit more oversight.

That wasn't a very well written article you linked to, and it lacks the objectiveness I like to see when reading about something that has controversy in it. Definitely a lot of editorializing going on there.

Last edited:
"thejudge13" got that wrong, sorry. Bernie's far from finished. The business sections of most newspapers agree with me there. And as this is not about F1 as a sport, but as a business, I think they got more expertise than "thejudge13".

Bernie getting slapped down is sort of interesting, but the news that I thought was cooler in that was that McLaren is going to make Ross Brawn their new Team Principal.
You got that wrong. Ron Dennis is returning, not Ross Brawn.

"thejudge13" got that wrong, sorry. Bernie's far from finished. The business sections of most newspapers agree with me there. And as this is not about F1 as a sport, but as a business, I think they got more expertise than "thejudge13".

You got that wrong. Ron Dennis is returning, not Ross Brawn.

Didn't get it wrong....I was responding to the "thejudge13" report that Ross Brawn will be team principal pending some legal discussions with Mercedes....

thejudge13 said:
McLaren fans who would love to see big Ron once again upon the pit wall will be disappointed as Ross Brawn will be appointed as F1 team principal over the coming months.

McLaren allowed Paddy Lowe to join Mercedes before his contractual period of garden leave had expired, and they will demand a reciprocal arrangement for Brawn. Should Mercedes refuse, they may well find themselves on the wrong end of a legal dispute ? where the precedent for Brawn joining McLaren early will actually be cited to have been set by Mercedes themselves.

As far as I know, being Team Principal isn't the same as being CEO, though the same person can be both. Having someone like Ross Brawn to run the day to day team leadership and technical stuff while Ron Dennis oversees both the F1 side and Consumer side of the company seems like a good fit for all involved.

If you type in "Ross Brawn Mclaren" into a News Search, most of the news sources site Ross Brawn as on the short list to take the Team Principal reigns, though he reportedly is still taking a 6 month Sabbatical regardless of that decision. Obviously there might be the issue of legality and contracts with Mercedes referenced by "theJudge13" guy, though he may not be the most reliable reporter and going largely off rumors and nothing concrete.

As far as I know, being Team Principal isn't the same as being CEO, though the same person can be both. Having someone like Ross Brawn to run the day to day team leadership and technical stuff while Ron Dennis oversees both the F1 side and Consumer side of the company seems like a good fit for all involved.
Sorry for overcorrecting you, did not read that part of "tj13"'s ramblings.

I don't trust rumors much. On the one hand, Brawn is a top-notch guy, on the other hand, Brawn has been linked to Williams by "reliable sources" as late as November 2013. Dennis just returned from managing "only" the McLaren Group to taking direct control of McLaren F1. He would not have taken this step if he did not feel a need to get directly involved with the F1 team again. He could have had Whitmarsh fired from his position as McLaren Group CEO as well. In any case, of course this means that Whitmarsh is toast. And as Brawn is on gardening leave, that's prime time material for the rumor mill. Ron Dennis could, of course, just bring Brawn in, but he could as well run the day-to-day stuff himself. Additionally, there's the question whether Brawn has an interest to work alongside known dictator Ron Dennis - maybe he'll be more interested in building the rumored Gene Haas-headed American F1 team from scratch.

As I said, Brawn has been linked with many a team over the last few months and I don't really fancy "tj13"'s know-it-all attitude.

Last edited:
As I said, Brawn has been linked with many a team over the last few months and I don't really fancy "tj13"'s know-it-all attitude.

I've never seen a know-it-all attitude on there. First of all, the man has his sources inside the teams, so he doesn't just make stuff up. He's also quite often quite right and has run many stories much earlier than other media. He ran the Kimi-to-Ferrari scoop a full 3 weeks before anyone else.

taking direct control of McLaren F1. He would not have taken this step if he did not feel a need to get directly involved with the F1 team again. He could have had Whitmarsh fired from his position as McLaren Group CEO as well. In any case, of course this means that Whitmarsh is toast.

Not really, actually Dennis said that the other shareholders and members of the board asked him to be reinstated as CEO. Rumours say this was because he and Whitmarsh differed on some key issues and Ron didn't have his way with things. As CEO now he can do whatever he wants and no longer depend on him. There might still be a place for Whitmarsh yet, at least for 2014 as it is quite late now to bring a new team principle (i.e. too late for Brawn).

Autosport reported that Dennis has long plotted a boardroom coup against Whitmarsh and this is him taking action. Different sources telling different stories...

Right now the favorite is "F14 T", pretty self explanatory

For anyone who doesn't see what he means by "self explanatory":

F14 T = FIA T

Sorry if its been said but i think everyone got focused on the 166 and didnt even notice that, for once, Ferrari made something funny.

I'm really happy to see Kamui back in F1. I love his hard-charging driving style, I missed it last year.