2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

from this year on, drivers collect points when doing something worng, which stay on their license for 12 months
and once they reach 12 points, they're banned for the next race

anyone know what happens with the points when they're banned?
the're stripped of all? they remain on their license for their period and are banned when they get perform one new infraction? they're deducted a fixed amount of points?

i don't seem to find any info on this...

my opinion: once they're banned, strip them of their 6 oldest points, the 6 newest remain...

Last edited:
from this year on, drivers collect points when doing something worng, which stay on their license for 12 months
and once they reach 12 points, they're banned for the next race

anyone know what happens with the points when they're banned?
the're stripped of all? they remain on their license for their period and are banned when they get perform one new infraction? they're deducted a fixed amount of points?

i don't seem to find any info on this...

my opinion: once they're banned, strip them of their 6 oldest points, the 6 newest remain...

From Wiki

The penalty system will be overhauled in 2014 so as to improve driving standards, with the introduction of a "penalty points" system for driving offences.[102] Under the system, driving offences will carry a pre-determined points value based on their severity. These points will be tallied up over the course of a season, with a driver receiving a race ban after accumulating twelve penalty points.[103] Any driver who received a race ban would also receive an additional five penalty points upon their return, as a form of probation to discourage further driving offences. Penalty points will remain on a driver's licence for twelve months, at which point they will be removed.

So you were pretty close actually.

Yeah they come back with 5 penalty points. Which makes sense. I'd like to see that taken over to Football where if you get 2 yellow cars in different matches you get a match ban but some people exploit this to "delete" their yellow cards to get a fresh tally again, by getting banned against a weak opponent.

Is there a list of points values for infractions?

Also, any bets on whether Maldonado will score more or less championship points than penalty points this year?

Once the ban is done, Id guess they've paid of their debt and it reverts to zero, but perhaps this is too logical for FIA?

Once the ban is done, Id guess they've paid of their debt and it reverts to zero, but perhaps this is too logical for FIA?

That's not logical, when you get out of jail for a crime your records are not cleaned off, are they?

They get 5 points after the ban, and they stay there. Maldonado will soon catch us up on this points system, I'm sure.

That's not logical, when you get out of jail for a crime your records are not cleaned off, are they?

No, but your debt for past crimes has been paid off
...this way it counts double

But next time you're caught, you're gonna get a heavier penalty than if you haven't done anything before.
It's the same principle.

if they were to return to 0, half of the field wouldn't have the possibility to get to 12 again before they're replaced by a "promising new star"
setting them back to zero would be like giving them a freecard to act stupid. now it's "you've served your ban, but stay low profile, or you will be banned again"

...which his how it should be if you ask me...

Well we'll see won't we? Judging by the tests, many many drivers will have technical issues in the race so it may be a moot point :p

Why is that relevant? Congrats to him, but i never understood why drivers/celebrities private lives matter. Groesjan became a father aswell last year, so...

That's weird......he's still a kid in my eyes. Albeit a very successful one.

*cries self to sleep*