2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

Now that RBR is the "factory" team for Renault, I expect the engine will improve as they will now design it solely for the RBR (and Toro Rosso).

they won't.
the deal is that Renault will just supply the engine and turbo, but RB will create their own energy system and write their own code
and at the same time RB is recruiting people who know about engine design itself as well, suggesting they're planning to come out with their own engine in a few years

if you ask me, renault is off worse than they were before, and they better keep the other teams close. RB will kick them out without hesitation from the moment they have a better alternative

Not if you're a Ferrari fan...

I just keep not understanding the logic behind all of this.

Well, probably because you're a fan and not an expert :p

Seriously, though, it isn't a secret that Ferrari has been after Vettel for some time already. And I guess they simply made him an offer he couldn't refuse...

Vettel himself repeatedly said that driving for a traditional team like Ferrari was very tempting. But as long as he got a winning car at RBR, he would have been stupid to leave. Now that the current car and Vettel don't seem to become friends anymore, it made his decision easier - together with a shitload of money from Ferrari probably.

People say Alonso is a better driver than Vettel and that might very well be. But Alonso is shit at giving technical feedback or help developing a car. And that is what Ferrari needs more now than a driver who simply says "just give me a good car and I'll win, I don't care about the rest". Ferrari needs someone to bring the team forward again and Alonso obviously isn't the one.

I think there are some parallels in all this to the time when Michael Schumacher quit Bennetton and went to Ferrari. And I agree that 2015 will be an interesting season, though I suspect that successes with Ferrari won't show for Vettel before 2016 or 2017.

Last edited:
But as long as he got a winning car at RBR, he would have been stupid to leave.

He has a winning car at Red Bull now. He's just not the one doing the job.

Ferrari are going to have two Kimis next year. God help them.

Well, probably because you're a fan and not an expert :p

Seriously, though, it isn't a secret that Ferrari has been after Vettel for some time already. And I guess they simply made him an offer he couldn't refuse...

Vettel himself repeatedly said that driving for a traditional team like Ferrari was very tempting. But as long as he got a winning car at RBR, he would have been stupid to leave. Now that the current car and Vettel don't seem to become friends anymore, it made his decision easier - together with a shitload of money from Ferrari probably.

People say Alonso is a better driver than Vettel and that might very well be. But Alonso is shit at giving technical feedback or help developing a car. And that is what Ferrari needs more now than a driver who simply says "just give me a good car and I'll win, I don't care about the rest". Ferrari needs someone to bring the team forward again and Alonso obviously isn't the one.

I think there are some parallels in all this to the time when Michael Schumacher quit Bennetton and went to Ferrari. And I agree that 2015 will be an interesting season, though I suspect that successes with Ferrari won't show for Vettel before 2016 or 2017.

And all of that STILL doesn't make any sense.
Specially when you say "When he didn't have the winning car he decided to leave", well, he won't have a spectacularly amazing car at Ferrari unless the FIA lets them touch the engine up during winter.

I don't know where you come across the information that Alonso can't develop a car, or that Vettel can. Neither statement has any backing behind it.

This.

Sometimes I really wonder if many so-called fans here actually read or watch more about formula 1 than just the races...

Nothing wrong having two fastest world champions driving for the same team.

At least Ferrari will have the strongest driver lineup for 2015.

Gotta love 'Stammtisch' ingenieurs... :lol:

Last edited:

wat

They'll have a team of two drivers who are both showing this year they're not as good as their teammates.
It's like signing Max Chilton and Marcus Ericsson, but a bit further up the grid.

Sometimes I really wonder if many so-called fans here actually read or watch more about formula 1 than just the races...

Sometimes I wonder if you are capable of making a constructive and logic argument presenting your reasons why and your sources instead of vaguely and subtly insulting a bunch of people...

Yes because the line up is so weak in 2014...

Well, if you imagine Lewis doesn't like it at Merc and McLaren snap up Alonso, that'd make a pretty nice lineup too.

With (almost assuredly) Alonso going to McLaren, that has to mean Button is out as I can't see them keeping him and not Magnussen.
Well, as far as I know, Button is one of the, if not the, most popular non-Japanese F1 driver in Japan, which will endear him to Honda somewhat. Additionally, he's a Brit, which might be an argument for McLaren if they try to stay the "home team"...

The guy's career is over. He's hit the point where he's too comfortable and shows zero passion in his driving. He's no longer driven for a win and it's better for him to retire now while his reputation is still good.

Vettel and Raikkonen are perhaps the two best examples of drivers NOT adapting to the new regulations and now Ferrari have both of them.

Alonso is the master at wringing every last ounce of performance from a car but he had to ask himself if it was truly worth it. Why spend another two or three years fighting for fourth or fifth when you can take a chance and try something different with McLaren Honda. After all, it isn't like Honda is coming into 2015 without knowledge as I'm sure they studied the Mercedes unit. They know the benchmark they need to match.

I like it. As DC calls it, his championship clock is nearing the end and doing something "radical" is his last chance at WDC.

I think - like Hamilton - Alonso knows something we don't about Honda/Mclaren. When Hamilton moved it was a big OMGWTF, but he knew they were making an astronomically large push for the new regulations and predicted their dominance. We'll see if that is the case with Alonso but I'm really hoping so because more than anything, I want to see this guy win another championship.

It's not like Ferrari are going to get their shit together anytime soon.

edit: red flag?!!?!? When did we become such pansies that we can't race in a bit of water?

Oh hey this is the wrong thread.

Last edited:
edit: red flag?!!?!? When did we become such pansies that we can't race in a bit of water?

Oh hey this is the wrong thread.

Since drivers slide under a crane and suffer severe head injuries.

Talk about commenting out of your ass eh?

Since drivers slide under a crane and suffer severe head injuries.

Talk about commenting out of your ass eh?
This comment was regarding the first red flag. Talk about commenting out of your ass eh?

This comment was regarding the first red flag. Talk about commenting out of your ass eh?

What you mean when Lewis Hamilton could not see Rosberg AT SAFETY CAR SPEED because there was so much spray?
Yeah, racing conditions! What a bunch of pussies!

Look at any wet race, the spray decreases as speed rises. It was hardly raining at that point so a couple of laps with the whole field at full speed would have dried the track easily