2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

:rolleyes:

Cmon, don't take a freak accident and try to make me look bad. We're better than that.

And I'm not changing my opinion, those conditions were raceable.

Former F1 driver Andrea de Cesaris died today in a non-motorsports-related motorcycle accident. The Italian participated in 208 F1 races between 1980 and 1994 and made it to the podium 5 times. He died at the age of 55 when he lost control of his 600cc Suzuki bike and hit the guardrail on the Autostrada 90 which circles around Rome.

Today is a strange day.

Last edited:
I just saw that. I was scrolling through Jalopnik and I saw the headline: "F1 driver dies..." and my heart jumped a bit.

A bad day all around. :-(

Is it me or is this kind of Crazy....

Lotus confirm switch to Mercedes power for 2015
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16466.html

I mean, Lotus is pretty much the Renault factory team and they aren't using the factory engine. With Red Bull making like they are moving away from Renault too, it seems like it might not be long before Renault calls it quits. I guess it wouldn't be a big surprise but I didn't really see it coming either. Losing Renault but gaining Honda...I guess that works.

they will also switch to petronas fuel? with total as a personal sponsor of RG?

Lotus's collaboration with Mercedes will run until the end of the current power unit regulations, which were introduced ahead of the 2014 season.

which is when? i didn't know they already set a date when it will be overhauled completely once again?

Last edited:

I mean, Lotus is pretty much the Renault factory team and they aren't using the factory engine. With Red Bull making like they are moving away from Renault too, it seems like it might not be long before Renault calls it quits. I guess it wouldn't be a big surprise but I didn't really see it coming either. Losing Renault but gaining Honda...I guess that works.

No this means that RB will become Renaults factory team... they seem to have re-fallen in love with them lately

The Lotus and Mercedes tie-up for 2015 and beyond has been known for some months. As NooDle noted, for 2015 Infiniti Red Bull Racing (and, presumably, Toro Rosso) will become the official Renault works team (with Caterham running whatever Renault and IRBR/TR develop together).

Lotus's collaboration with Mercedes will run until the end of the current power unit regulations, which were introduced ahead of the 2014 season.

which is when? i didn't know they already set a date when it will be overhauled completely once again?

There are rumors that they could be unfrozen next year (only Mercedes seems to be opposed to the idea - for good reason, of course).

Last edited:
It's ironically funny when it was Renault who said that if the engines did not change, they'd leave the sport, and now that they did change, they're undoubtedly the worst engine on the field.

It's ironically funny when it was Renault who said that if the engines did not change, they'd leave the sport, and now that they did change, they're undoubtedly the worst engine on the field.

AND they will probably end up leaving the sport anyway, they've pretty much been laughed out of it this year.. :lol:

The irony of the mess that F1 has become.

I just wish they would pull all the electronic crap off the cars, go back to naturally aspirated engines, give the teams a displacement limit (I like the 1.6 max size.. make em work for the power), a max fuel per race limit, and only require the engine to last one weekend, and let them run with it.

I'm wondering what kind of noise an NA 1.6liter V6 would make running at 20K+ RPM... I bet it would sound amazing.

Also, mpicco, what are you going to do when you have to say nice things about Seb next year? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Also, mpicco, what are you going to do when you have to say nice things about Seb next year? :mrgreen:

I doubt I'll have to, if the restrictions to engine development aren't lifted, then I'm pretty sure Ferrari will be even further down the pecking order when Honda comes in, Mercedes will still dominate, and I have my severe doubts about the Finger being able to develop a team, even though some here think he's Schumacher reincarnate (before death)

Wow, classless on a whole new level.

supporter

a person who approves of and encourages a public figure, political party, policy, etc.

you clearly aren't a supporter of the ferrari team anymore. why still feel butthurt? pick another team and root for them!

I doubt I'll have to, if the restrictions to engine development aren't lifted, then I'm pretty sure Ferrari will be even further down the pecking order when Honda comes in, Mercedes will still dominate, and I have my severe doubts about the Finger being able to develop a team, even though some here think he's Schumacher reincarnate (before death)

That's quite offensive. First of all, Michael isn't dead. He might be getting colouring books for christmas for the rest of his life, but he's not dead. I agree with you that Merc will still dominate, but that's because the engine freeze more or less cemented the the status quo last year. If you think that Vettel can't develop a team, then how come he brings RB's chief mechanic and the race engineer, who oversaw his first win for Toro Rosso with him? Ring a bell? Schumacher also brought select trusted people with him and don't underestimate Allison. He might just know what he's doing and the relatively easy-going Vettel might fit in better with Ferrari's passion than the conniving bitch that was Fernando Alonso. Vettel comes to Maranello because he's been dreaming to drive for them since he was a kid watching Schumacher. Alonso went there thinking they were his bitch and that he's bigger than the team. Such antics never went down well with them.

Last edited:
How will Ferrari fans cope with a Sebastian Vettel at the Scuderia?

Easy, if you ask me: If he wins, it's only because of the magnificent car. If he loses, he's just a bad driver :p

Oh and before I forget... I bookmarked this in March in the discussion around the Malaysian Grand Prix after my statement that Mercedes will win this year's championships:

There's no championship for power units... if you can really tell anyone has the championship already, you might wanna put a divination parlor at some renaissance fair...

Just for your information: I'll bookmark this post of yours and get back to you at the end of the season.

Okay? ;)

Done as promised :D

Last edited: