Ownership Verified: 2014 Hyundai Elantra *Sport*

LiveToWin

Car(s)
2012 Lexus IS F
It was time to replace the Subaru, and while I was planning to sacrifice practicality for fun... That didn't really happen. I test drove the BRZ, Fiesta ST, and the Genesis Coupe (that thing was terrible), and while I was at the dealer, I tried out the Elantra Sport, mostly to dismiss it. The Gen Coupe drove nicely, but was pretty dismal outside of that. The Fiesta and the BRZ didn't really do anything for me, and while the Veloster offers more power, I just can't bear its looks. As disappointing as the Gen. Coupe was, the Elantra was surprising. It's much nicer on the inside than I expected, and the engine and trans are pretty good. As for sportiness, it won't set any records, but it's plenty to have some fun with.

About the sport trim, it adds the following:
- 173HP 2.0L engine w/ 6spd auto
- Different suspension and steering
- Backup Camera
- Leather seats: power driver's, heated front
- Aluminum pedals & door sills
- 17'' alloys
- Different headlights and taillights
- Spoiler (which is deleted on my car)
- Extra chrome
- Sunroof
- Steering wheel mounted controls

I'm pretty happy with the car. It's most certainly a compromise, but for 95% of the time, it just has to get me from A to B in reasonable comfort.

Pics:

img-0093-14470t.JPG

img-0072-14461t.jpg

img-0071-14460t.jpg

img-1127-14472t.jpg

img-1122-b-14471t.jpg

img-0088-14468t.JPG

img-0084-14466t.JPG

img-0081-14464t.JPG

img-0082-14465t.JPG

img-0080-14463t.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Wow, I never even heard of this car. :blink: - I don't think it's for sale over here.

True. And yeah, only the 100hp petrol or the 128hp diesel versions. - Your engine isn't on the list.

Wow, I never even heard of this car. :blink: - I don't think it's for sale over here.

I think a version of it is sold in Europe as the i30?

True. And yeah, only the 100hp petrol or the 128hp diesel versions. - Your engine isn't on the list.

Can't find the sedan on your link lip, only the 5-door hatch. The i30 hatchback (model code GD) and the US version Elantra GT is the same car, but not the Elantra Sport (model code MD). To my knowledge the Elantra MD (built in Alabama) isn't on sale anywhere in Europe. It's true however that no i30/GT get the 2.0 liter engine. The US Elantra GT and the Australian i30 (both built in Korea) get the 1.8 liter engine, while Europe (built in Czech Rep.) gets the 1.6 (or the 1.4 that nobody buys).

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
How are the seats in that? I drove a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T and found the seats to the about the same softness as sculpted cinder blocks.

My seats don't seem to be any firmer than any other car's seats I've sat in recently. They're pretty comfortable, if surprisingly narrow. A wider person (I'm, 5'8'' and 140lbs) would quickly be flattening the mild bolstering with their ass.