ma33s40_51d5378ca1908.jpg
ma33s41_51d5378cba390.jpg
ma33s42_51d5378cd8fc9.jpg

This:
ma33s42_51d5378cd8fc9.jpg

Kind of reminds me of this:
2014-maserati-ghibli-Side-View.jpg

Which is good!

Front number plate positioning looks really awkward. No problem in parts of the US where front plates aren't mandatory but sucks for the rest of us. It seriously doesn't look like its meant to be there, I wish it were better integrated.

No temp gauge...dislike that trend.

On a stock, everyday hatch, is there really anything you can do with information more detailed than "too cold/normal/too hot"?

But you don't even get that information on this car, or many other modern cars. I like to know the car is up to proper operating temperature before I start thrashing it.

Are you sure? The current Mazda 6 and old 3 have indicators for both low and high coolant temperature (I just checked the manuals they have online), so why wouldn't the new 3 have them?

I don't know about the Mazdas, but it is the case on many other new cars. My mum's Astra for one has no indication of engine temperature, other than a warning light for when it's about to explode.

Personally I'd still much rather have a gauge. Not so much of a problem when the car is new, but when you're the third or fourth owner years down the track a coolant temperature gauge can become rather more necessary.

Re: Mazda's temp indicator, the warning light definition of 'low temperature' is probably different to mine - an engine should be properly warm before being driven hard to prevent damage. It takes a lot longer for the engine's internals to warm up than the coolant takes to stop being 'cold'.

Last edited:
Personally I'd still much rather have a gauge. Not so much of a problem when the car is new, but when you're the third or fourth owner years down the track a coolant temperature gauge can become rather more necessary.

Bingo, I'd much rather have a gauge that tells me if the engine is running warmer than usual rather than a nondescript,generic light telling me "this car will need a very expensive repair job now"

Bingo, I'd much rather have a gauge that tells me if the engine is running warmer than usual rather than a nondescript,generic light telling me "this car will need a very expensive repair job now"

That's assuming the light programming doesn't account for engine warming and just turns on when the engine is already overheated. I'd assume it would come on at a certain threshold point to warn that the engine is getting warm as opposed to complete overheating.

I'm sure there are some metrics published somewhere, where they note not only where the temperatures are taken, but also what the temperatures are that cause the lights to light...right?

The subcompact cars like the Fiesta, Sonic, Yaris, etc. have for the most part scrapped the temp gauge. This is definitely a trend that's starting from the least expensive cars.

Last edited:
It reminds me of the Lexus CT200h.

lexus-ct-2013-overview-hero-4.jpg

I'd be down to buy the Mazda 3. Love the body lines.

Yeah, I always liked that Lexus, too. Wish there was a non-hybrid version.