2014 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix

WEC. Yes, it's also a fuel flow formula, but with free engine regulations. ;)

I'll prob start trying to look into that once I get another HDD for my media server.

Last edited:
Obviously some fans still don't understand the reason for Formula 1: It's a technological showpiece of the car industry. At least that's what it is today.

I know ! My car is from 1996, and obviously it was designed inspired by F1:

19-rear-spoiler-1p.gif

The day F1 started with the Aero, they became irrelevant to road cars. Idk why some people keep kidding themselves. It's the pinnacle of motorsport, not the pinnacle of road car development.

To be fair mpicco, the technology does still trickle down. TCS, ABS, paddles, and now KERS. I still think it's a bit silly that they think lowering engine sizes and revs is advancement.

The same people that find this shit show exciting are the same people that found the introduction of KERS, DRS, and paper tires exciting (and while I'm at it, the EBD rule change). It tightened the pack and we had shitlords like Maldonado take a win, "ooo how exciting". But then the strategists figure out a couple things and then overtaking no longer requires thinking and most of it happens on straights and pit lanes.

The same thing will happen with these rule changes, the pack will be close, but as teams figure things out, the field will separate (which is important so reckless rookies like Maldonado and Grosjean don't get self entitled and ram the shit out of everybody, oh wait). As someone has mentioned, an exercise in reliability is not exciting and I'm honestly quite surprised some of you are describing the races as such.

As long as rule changes continue to be gimmicky, with no racing 'spirit' in mind, this trend will continue.

Audience figures will not drop, there are plenty of people that would enjoy the gimmick-festered carnival that F1 has become. I do, however, believe that a big team might resign from F1 if it continues down this path. Hopefully it's Ferrari, that will make the biggest impact.

Honestly, I am not sure just how relevant F1 has been to road cars in terms of technology transfer.

US manufacturers were putting ABS systems on cars back in the early 1970s as an option and Mercedes had it on their 1970's era W116 series Mercedes S-Class (which also had one of the first traction control systems in 1981 with the W126). Both systems came (I believe) decades later to Formula One. And battery-supported internal combustion engines have been around since at least the first-generation Prius of the late 1990s.

the technology does still trickle down. TCS, ABS, paddles, and now KERS.

When did the first F1 cars get ABS, TCS and KERS?

Mechanical ABS has been around since the late 1920s for aircraft, then semi-trailers in the '50s. In 1965, Jensen had ABS and TCS in the FF. Electronic ABS and TCS was in cars by the late '60s.

Regenerative braking has been around since the late-mid 1800s, and in common use for trains for the last hundred years, and AMC's 1967 electric car concept had regenerative braking.

F1 appropriates existing technology for competitive advantage, and their secret hush-hush nature of car development locks up any innovation for as long as possible.

None of the developments can "trickle down" because the F1 engineers don't get to come up with any ideas. They're TOLD what to put on the car. What engine size. What induction. What type of fuel. How many cylinders. What types of electrical recovery and energy deployment etc.

Saying there are real, relevant developments in F1 is like saying Paint By Numbers makes you an artist.

Great race by Mercedes. Anyone else get the sense that they basically chose what pace to race at? Particularly when Rosberg was asked to change his gap to Vettel, as if he just had to turn a dial up.

Ricciardo is having the shittiest start to a season ever, I think. Three races of his are now pissed away by no fault of his own. I think a 10-place grid penalty at Bahrain is completely uncalled for, especially since Red Bull did everything they could to fix the problem, and his car never left pit-lane with the bad wheel.

I want to high-five Massa for the end of the race. Bottas can earn his position.

Finally, hell yea Hulkenberg! Great race by him. If this continues, Force India will have their best season yet.

Massa, what a baby. Crying to the team the moment his teammate starts to threaten him. As if it's not obvious that Bottas is intrinsically faster than him.
Then again, maybe I'm biased, as I never liked Massa.

The stupid rules are messing up drivers left, right and center.
I don't care about the engine sound, about the fuel flow regulations, about any of the technical rules really, as those are the same for all the teams.
But it seems nothing is considered a racing incident anymore. No matter what happens, someone needs to be punished for it. That's what's killing the sport for me.

The stupid rules are messing up drivers left, right and center.
I don't care about the engine sound, about the fuel flow regulations, about any of the technical rules really, as those are the same for all the teams.
But it seems nothing is considered a racing incident anymore. No matter what happens, someone needs to be punished for it. That's what's killing the sport for me.

I agree. You can't expect to have close and exciting racing, and never have any contact between the cars. That's just a risk that's completely inherent to Formula1, and I think it's detrimental to the sport to judge incidents too harshly. Obviously, if someone does something incredibly stupid, they should be punished. But mistakes happen, and often times the consequences of those mistakes are punishment enough in themselves.

I agree. You can't expect to have close and exciting racing, and never have any contact between the cars. That's just a risk that's completely inherent to Formula1, and I think it's detrimental to the sport to judge incidents too harshly. Obviously, if someone does something incredibly stupid, they should be punished. But mistakes happen, and often times the consequences of those mistakes are punishment enough in themselves.

Yes indeed, and it pisses me off how there are people calling Magnussen all the bastards of the day for giving Raikkonen a puncture.

Great race by Mercedes. Anyone else get the sense that they basically chose what pace to race at? Particularly when Rosberg was asked to change his gap to Vettel, as if he just had to turn a dial up.

Not really, no. Otherwise it'd be Hamilton and Rosberg apart by 2 seconds after having a decent honest fight for 1st and that just didn't happen.

Yes indeed, and it pisses me off how there are people calling Magnussen all the bastards of the day for giving Raikkonen a puncture.

He ruined the race for one of the guys I support, he's a bastard. You're pissed? boohoo.

Last edited:
Kimi's lack of awareness which caused him to apex a corner when there was a car already on the apex ruined the race for one of the guys I support, he's a bastard. You're pissed? boohoo.

Fixed your red tinted spectacles for you.

The car ahead has the corner. The car trying to overtake has to make sure there's no contact. Go learn some racing etiquette then come back.

He himself apologized for the incident:
"I?m sorry for the team that I messed things up going into the second corner, with the incident with Kimi. I think we could have scored some good points today, so I?m disappointed with and for myself, too"

But yeah it's my red tinted glasses.

Last edited:
He ruined the race for one of the guys I support, he's a bastard. You're pissed? boohoo.

"one of the guys i support"
you don't support anyone, you support the color red.

if next year ferrari puts kim jung-un in the second car, you will support that bastard...

"one of the guys i support"
you don't support anyone, you support the color red.

if next year ferrari puts kim jung-un in the second car, you will support that bastard...

...so does he support the color red or any bastard that drives in something colored red?

The car ahead has the corner. The car trying to overtake has to make sure there's no contact. Go learn some racing etiquette then come back.

That's the general rule in other series, however the FIA clarified a couple of years ago that they consider "any part of the front wing" being alongside the rear wheel of the car ahead to be enough for the car attempting to pass to be left a car width.
Kimi just wasn't aware enough of his surroundings.

Reactions: TC
Ricciardo is having the shittiest start to a season ever, I think. Three races of his are now pissed away by no fault of his own. I think a 10-place grid penalty at Bahrain is completely uncalled for, especially since Red Bull did everything they could to fix the problem, and his car never left pit-lane with the bad wheel.
Yeah, they should have penalized the team instead. I thought that was the rule anyway. Seems silly to penalize the driver for something he can't even control, Ricciardo could not even see the wheel.