2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games

(every other team has been a world champion and has at least a silver olympic medal under their belt and then there's us... a complete surprise to even have qualified for these games)

Slovakia doesn't have any olympic medals, and US last world championship is from 1960... Not that it matters.

I just learned from reading Jeremy Clarkson's column that we have 2 athletes participating in skiing, one a Pseudo-Thai and another an actual Thai.

The only real snow to ever existed in this country is artificial. :p

I was watching some on TV in the hotel last night. Luge.

Now to me the idea of hauling yourself into a dayglo condom, sitting on a tea tray and hurtling down a tube of ice at 80mph isn't bizarre enough what the hell makes someone want to do it.......

.....on another man?

And do they fit together like Lego?

[video=youtube;BUra-oOBuTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUra-oOBuTA[/video]

Now to me the idea of hauling yourself into a dayglo condom, sitting on a tea tray and hurtling down a tube of ice at 80mph isn't bizarre enough what the hell makes someone want to do it.......

...head first instead of feet first, aka skeleton.

Luge and the Skeleton events are OK to watch and get the track ready for the main events of the 4-man & 2man Bobs. The BBC said that the "Cool Runnings" Jamaican team are back, which is great! :cool:

Langlauf XC skiing looks very, very hard - judging by today's 10km Womens & 20km Mens Biathlon events. The competitors "left it all on the hill". Amazing to watch.

I know your not supposed to, but I LOLd at the Short track skating Women's 500m Final.
The GB girl skittled off two other competitors, leaving the Chinese woman to finish first unopposed. The other three then got up and chased after her, with the GB finishing second, but she got a penalty and came fourth. It just looked very funny. :lol:

The Mens Ice Hockey has now started today. Very cool sport which is never shown here usually. :cool:

No luck for "smaller" countries on ice hockey today. Bit of a unlucky bounce for Swiss this time. And 0+2 for our goalie :D

I didn't know Finland was that much stronger than Norway.

On the other hand, the Finland that Denmark beat 4-2 in the WC a couple of years ago was probably without most of its NHL profiles, unlike today.

I didn't know Finland was that much stronger than Norway.

On the other hand, the Finland that Denmark beat 4-2 in the WC a couple of years ago was probably without most of its NHL profiles, unlike today.

Actually were missing something like our top two lines due to injuries. Since we don't have the depth that other top nations do, I don't think we'll get a medal this time. Our goalies are really good, but not that good.

Swiss Gold for Mens combined, sort of makes up for loosing out to Austria in the Downhill. :cool:

All the Freestyle skiing events look a bit scary, but amazing to watch. The Womens Aerials had a lot of falls in the early round which looked. :shock:

WE DESTORYED THE SLOVAKS!

With their 12 active and 8 ex NHL players! BOOYAH! :cool:

As an American, I'm hoping for a repeat of 1980.

* snip "Miracle on Ice" 1980 *

Even the BBC has a clip of THAT game on it's Winter Olympic montage that it runs at the start of show. (The BBC that never otherwise shows Ice Hockey. :sad:)

Anyway, It on NOW.

Even game up till the end of the 2nd period, it's 14:10 here, but must be early-O'clock in the USA - hope you're all up watching it! :lol:

Questions on Ice hockey:

If a player is in the penalty box and the other team scores, he can rejoin the game, yes?
What does the "A" and "C" on some of the jerseys mean?
How well are the USA playing now? Their squad has only been together for a few days from all their different NHL teams, different systems and plays?
Who'd be a Referee? Puck in the nads, ouch! :lol:

EDIT:
And, no "icing call" if a team is playing short handed during a penalty,yes?

Last edited:
If a player is in the penalty box and the other team scores, he can rejoin the game, yes?
If it's a two minute minor, yes.

What does the "A" and "C" on some of the jerseys mean?
Team captain and alternate captains. They speak to referees, and lead the team in a way.

How well are the USA playing now? Their squad has only been together for a few days from all their different NHL teams, different systems and plays?
They're playing pretty good. It's the same for almost every team, since most of the players are from NHL.

Who'd be a Referee? Puck in the nads, ouch! :lol:
They're pretty tough bunch.

And, no "icing call" if a team is playing short handed during a penalty,yes?
Yep.

^
Thank you, great game!

Putin: "Kill the Refrees, NOW-ski!" :lol:
(He's in the crowd and not happy with the disallowed goal)

Team captain and alternate captains. They speak to referees, and lead the team in a way.
Should be added that this is due to lines changing and the Captain not being on ice all the time, so each line has an additional captain.
They're playing pretty good. It's the same for almost every team, since most of the players are from NHL.
WE HAVE JUST ONE! :p

Should be added that this is due to lines changing and the Captain not being on ice all the time, so each line has an additional captain.
No, there's usually two alternate captains and four lines.

WE HAVE JUST ONE! :p
I said almost :p

edit:

IIHF should have the NHL rule that every skater has to shoot on a shootout before anyone taking a second shot.

Congrats, USA!

Last edited: